Football Programmes Centre

Mystery Chelsea Reserve Player 26.10.1968
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mystery Chelsea Reserve Player 26.10.1968
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitenoize

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:50 pm 
Post subject:

There's always one. Great images though. Thanks for sharing
roughyedz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:32 pm 
Post subject:

DonQuixote2 wrote:
I'm so lovin' this.....who is the mystery player in the photo and shezan, yer man shows up in person... Shocked

While you're on Derek, care to share some light on your career after you left Stamford Bridge?

Come on now Derek you dont want me to ask you for a third time do you ???? keeping us all in suspense !!!! Perhaps slow on the up take and thats why you left Chelsea ??? Shocked
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:38 pm 
Post subject:

I wonder if he parked his Vespa next to Peter Osgood's e-type on training days?
Derek V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:15 pm 
Post subject:

Okay, okay, gimme a break Roughyedz !

Not very exciting actually but here goes:
A back injury and major surgery in 1972 put paid to my pro career.
4 years college and working as a Building Surveyor.
Then a non league come back at the age of 26 with Kingstonian where I was skipper for 4 years.
Player coach at Redhill winning the Athenian League.
Player Manager at Molesey finishing 3rd in the Rothman's Isthmian League.
"Retired" at 38 and then played for a very good Corinthian-Casuals Vets side into my 50's.
Still playing walking football at 66, and believe me when I say at competition level it's a lot more than just a walk in the park!

I had a wonderful 4 years at CFC and was sub home and away v CSKA Sofia when we won the ECWC in 1971 which is the closest I got to a full first team appearance.

Hard knocks teach you a lot and it made me appreciate how lucky I was to have the inside experience in a very successful period in Chelsea's history.

Regards

Derek Vaughan
Derek V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:20 pm 
Post subject:

DonQuixote2 wrote:
I wonder if he parked his Vespa next to Peter Osgood's e-type on training days?

Ha Ha! He parked ON my push bike! Laughing

Derek V
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:23 pm 
Post subject:

Derek, thanks for outlining your career. A little birdie tells me that your dad was Charlie Vaughan, the old Charlton striker post-war. He had quite a record for them, and played in the 46/7 season when they won the FA Cup. He was a regular in the side by then but didn't play in the final. Was he injured?

Do you have any of his old memorabilia? I know I used to have some photos of him but they went ages ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Derek V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:35 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Derek, thanks for outlining your career. A little birdie tells me that your dad was Charlie Vaughan, the old Charlton striker post-war. He had quite a record for them, and played in the 46/7 season when they won the FA Cup. He was a regular in the side by then but didn't play in the final. Was he injured?

Do you have any of his old memorabilia? I know I used to have some photos of him but they went ages ago.

Hi Pete,

You're right on that. However, the reason he didn't play in the 1947 Cup Final was because he'd played for Sutton United in the preliminary rounds earlier in the season. He signed for Charlton in Feb 47 and played in the old First Division for the 2 months beforehand but was cup-tied! Chris Duffy scored the winner in a 1-0 against Burnley so he missed out on a FA Cup winners medal.

My brother has a box of memorabilia but we wouldn't part with them.

Regards

Derek V
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Derek

Aha! So he played for Sutton Utd - my "local" team - I never knew that!

If I get any more photos of him, would you (or your brother) be interested?

Cheers
Pete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Derek V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:05 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Derek

Aha! So he played for Sutton Utd - my "local" team - I never knew that!

If I get any more photos of him, would you (or your brother) be interested?

Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete,

Frankly, we have quite a lot of press photos of Dad. As a top goal scorer of his time, his photos were often in the papers so I'd think that we may well have what you may come across. It'll take a week or so but I'll see if I can find a couple of good ones and upload them.

Regards

Derek V
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:08 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Derek,

Yeah, OK. But I'll keep looking anyway.

Cheers
Peet
roughyedz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:31 pm 
Post subject:

Derek V wrote:
Okay, okay, gimme a break Roughyedz !

Not very exciting actually but here goes:
A back injury and major surgery in 1972 put paid to my pro career.
4 years college and working as a Building Surveyor.
Then a non league come back at the age of 26 with Kingstonian where I was skipper for 4 years.
Player coach at Redhill winning the Athenian League.
Player Manager at Molesey finishing 3rd in the Rothman's Isthmian League.
"Retired" at 38 and then played for a very good Corinthian-Casuals Vets side into my 50's.
Still playing walking football at 66, and believe me when I say at competition level it's a lot more than just a walk in the park!

I had a wonderful 4 years at CFC and was sub home and away v CSKA Sofia when we won the ECWC in 1971 which is the closest I got to a full first team appearance.

Hard knocks teach you a lot and it made me appreciate how lucky I was to have the inside experience in a very successful period in Chelsea's history.

Regards

Derek Vaughan

Thanks for that Derek .....
martino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 pm 
Post subject:

Charlie was signed by my late Uncle, Eddie Lever, for Pompey 53/54. Pompey were desperate for a goal-scoring Centre Forward at the time and missed out on other targets. As soon as Clubs found out Pompey were interested the price went up but Pompey was never a rich Club.

According to the Pompey records Charlie was born in Sutton, played 28 times for Pompey, 16 goals in the 53/54 season and then moved on to Bexleyheath.

I am sure the other Pompey guys on the Forum will have some photos etc of Charlie that they would like to share.
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 pm 
Post subject:

Got to be a story there no?
CV scores 14 in 26 games for Portsmouth in the top-flight then the very next
season ends up playing for Bexleyheath and Welling in the Kent League???

It's a bit like Vardy moving back to Stocksbridge next term...
Derek V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:44 pm 
Post subject:

DonQuixote2 wrote:
Got to be a story there no?
CV scores 14 in 26 games for Portsmouth in the top-flight then the very next
season ends up playing for Bexleyheath and Welling in the Kent League???

It's a bit like Vardy moving back to Stocksbridge next term...

To Martino and Don.

Martino.
You are spot on. So Eddie Lever was your uncle. Small world eh?

Don.
It's a pretty straight forward "story". Charlie was 34 and increasingly suffering with knee cartilage issues, which is why he only managed 26 games in his 2 seasons with Pompey. Unlike now, knee surgery in the 50's was career threatening.

Charlie moved on to Bexleyheath and Welling as a full time player manager where he remained for 11 years gradually relinquishing his playing role for management. As far as I can recall they were mainly in the Southern League.

When he left BH&W he became, for the next 8 years, Youth Team Manager and Chief Scout at Millwall, where his old Charlton team mate Benny Fenton was manager.

Regards

Derek V
PS: Do you think these posts should now be titled "Charlie Vaughan"?
Derek V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:51 pm 
Post subject:

martino wrote:

Charlie was signed by my late Uncle, Eddie Lever, for Pompey 53/54. Pompey were desperate for a goal-scoring Centre Forward at the time and missed out on other targets. As soon as Clubs found out Pompey were interested the price went up but Pompey was never a rich Club.

According to the Pompey records Charlie was born in Sutton, played 28 times for Pompey, 16 goals in the 53/54 season and then moved on to Bexleyheath.

I am sure the other Pompey guys on the Forum will have some photos etc of Charlie that they would like to share.

Martino.

You are spot on. So Eddie Lever was your uncle. Small world eh?

Please also see my reply to Don Quixote 2 re; Charlie Vaughan

Regards. Derek V
martino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 am 
Post subject:

This you Derek?

Derek V

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 pm 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
This you Derek?

Yep! That's me and Dad. at a Pompey Xmas party I think. I have that photo.

When I was born, Dad was at Charlton, and Jimmy Seed the manager sent my Mum, who was recovering in hospital, a contract form with my name on it. She sent it back with a safety pin through the signature line!

Derek V

Smile
the stork

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:20 pm 
Post subject:

Derek V wrote:
Hi All,

Fascinating item. It's definitely Derek Vaughan. I know cos it's me and I was there! Blimey, I was 17 and had just turned pro. The team sheet shows me as right back and in those days that was always number 2 as shown on the shorts. It's not Mickey Maskell or Charlie Morrison as I was much better looking than both of them!

That reserve team had some really good players in the side as I'm sure you can see.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Hello Derek, this is the other Derek of those Chelsea days. Derek Smethurst - I trust you and yours are well - its only been about 500 yrs ago!
Derek Vaughan
Derek V

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:38 pm 
Post subject: Re: mystery Chelsea Reserve Player

the stork wrote:
Derek V wrote:
Hi All,

Fascinating item. It's definitely Derek Vaughan. I know cos it's me and I was there! Blimey, I was 17 and had just turned pro. The team sheet shows me as right back and in those days that was always number 2 as shown on the shorts. It's not Mickey Maskell or Charlie Morrison as I was much better looking than both of them!

That reserve team had some really good players in the side as I'm sure you can see.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Hello Derek, this is the other Derek of those Chelsea days. Derek Smethurst - I trust you and yours are well - its only been about 500 yrs ago!
Derek Vaughan

Hi Derek,
Remember this? Regards. Derek V

the stork

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:51 pm 
Post subject: Re: mystery Chelsea Reserve Player

Derek V wrote:
the stork wrote:
Derek V wrote:
Hi All,

I hope this helps.

Regards

Derek Vaughan

Hi Derek,
Remember this? Regards. Derek V

Yikes =, I have come full circle with the same hair cut - just a color difference - first time I have seen that photo. Cheers

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: