Football Programmes Centre

Retro Football Fair MCR - 12th October
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Retro Football Fair MCR - 12th October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluejames

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:13 pm 
Post subject:

Well i thought having had my last say and having given an apology that would have been the end of it but if you want a small,friendly discussion then why not.
I think i noted in an earlier post by you that you had said you no longer worked on programme fairs.I might have read that or some dealer folk might have told me taht but i am not sure.That said it appears you were interested but i can't for the life of me understand why, as at this point your hypothesis falls flat.Being based where you are and the time and costs, are going to be prohibative to anything south of say Carlisle.So if you don't stand fairs anymore,and you don't do long travel with the costs involved then why would you have been interested in an inaugural fair?I understand that you might see a business opportunity or indeed see an opportunity to raise funds for Auchinleck Talbot but the sensible strategy would surely be to wait and see what happened on the first one.That is what most folk looking to make a profit would do.
The parking outside the venue issue just does not hold water as everybody else,including two dealers with large amounts of top quality stock clearly managed to unload ok
That really is my last word on the subject
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:25 pm 
Post subject:

You're right that I don't do as many fairs as I used to but I still do the odd fair down Lancashire way (Chorley, Blackpool, Accrington, Greater Lancashire etc), and I also did one at Prestatyn a few years back. When I first started doing them to raise money for the club I paid all my own expenses so things weren't quite so prohibitive. Now we have a decent stock of all kinds of football memorabilia, not just programmes, I make a calculated decision based on whether I can make money for the club once the fuel and table costs are taken out. That's the easy part.

Driving down to Manchester isn't difficult, and getting in and out of the city at that time of the morning wouldn't be difficult. As the organiser said though, car parking would be five minutes walk away from the fair. I do have quite a reasonable understanding of how fairs work, especially those I organise myself and those where I have been to on a number of occasions. Usually at these fairs there are folk I know who are more than happy when I come to pack things up to keep an eye on my stall and stock for me as I start to put the stuff away into my car parked - which is always parked nearby.

This being a new fair with no folk I knew there at the time of my discussions with the organiser, was something I had to factor in to my decision due to the parking not being at the venue. I admire the work Gordon Bennett puts into the fairs he organises and goes to, especially as like myself he's no spring chicken. Again, my age now being that where I draw my state pension I factor numerous this into whether or not I attend a fair as well. I'm also really glad it was your last word on the subject as there were also other extenuating circumstances which influenced my decision which are personal and I really do not feel like sharing those with you.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: