Football Programmes Centre

Old hobby, new technology
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Old hobby, new technology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:22 am 
Post subject: Old hobby, new technology

Stamp collecting, but interesting parallels with programme collecting, particularly with regards to utilising the likes of Flickr and websites to show collections.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49632306

Also interesting about building up a collection around a stamp or a letter, so in our case a programme, then the ticket, then maybe a press photo of the game etc.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

I know exactly what she means (re stamp collecting) about not being interested in going to trade shows or joining a club or society

I avidly collect Crystal Palace cigarette cards, bubblegum cards and modern cards and stickers. I also collect badges, also relating to Palace.

In my life I have been to one cigarette card 'fair' in a London hotel, one programme fair, and visited one cigarette card shop (a long tube ride to Hendon I think it was). I don't think I've ever been to a badge fair.

I just like to collect 'alone'. I'll buy current stuff at the game of course, but in terms of collecting, in the main I'm happy just ordering things online (before the internet it was mail order). I don't ever feel these organised events are for me, and I never have! And I'm now middle aged, so would probably fit right in!

I think there's a big chunk of collectors who largely do so 'alone', amassing mountains of stuff that probably only they will ever see and enjoy. It's a funny thing really.

At least there are always new 'young' people with collecting in their blood
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 am 
Post subject:

We're a very solitary hobby in many respects, which is unusual when you're talking football and in many cases, large crowds!

Would love to see an annual "Football Memorabilia Convention" one day, bringing all aspects of the hobby together for a weekend. Dealer stalls, auctions, exhibitions, signings etc.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:13 am 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:

We're a very solitary hobby in many respects, which is unusual when you're talking football and in many cases, large crowds!

I think part of the interest for me is knowing that there are 20,000 - 70,000 people at a game, yet I'm possibly the one of only a handful of people there who is dedicated to obtaining some giveaway corporate pin badge, or preserving a free betting sheet which almost nobody else will think of doing.

Maybe there's a degree of hoarding, but it's collecting nevertheless!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: