Football Programmes Centre

Football Wanted auction - Sheffield United bound volumes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Football Wanted auction - Sheffield United bound volumes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:50 am 
Post subject: Football Wanted auction - Sheffield United bound volumes

Just reading the latest Programme Monthly supplement and the Football Wanted advert for their upcoming auction.

Included is:

"Sheffield United bound volumes - 1897/98 to 1938/39. One lot consisting of 39 bound volumes only lacking 3 to make a continuous run pre-war. 1897/98 was the 1st season"

Wow but no estimate mentioned.

Wave
grantham

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:12 pm 
Post subject:

Seems odd to sell as one lot, would surely limit the number of people that could afford such a listing.

If they were by season, that would open the market up to more bidders ?
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:20 pm 
Post subject:

The auctioneer may be having an early tea that night?
bluejames

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:38 am 
Post subject:

I can't see them selling at all unless they work out at a fiver each.There is only one Sheffield United collector left who is John Taylor and as he is now a pensioner,and he is stopping collecting when he gets to 500 pre wars,which he is almost at.They will not be for him.I can't see a dealer taking on the responsibility of commercially having to buy and sell that many on, so unless the club need them and want them they will be unsold,in my opinion.I would like a couple of the programmes for myself,as i am sure many folk on here would but it would need hundreds of us to get together and work something out.At this moment we don't even know roughly what the starting price is
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:33 pm 
Post subject:

bluejames wrote:
There is only one Sheffield United collector left who is John Taylor
. Really?....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
colchestersid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:36 pm 
Post subject:

martino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:59 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
http://www.staceyauction.com/Auction-Detail_222319

Estimate of £80,000 to £90,000

………………. now if I sell my Macclesfield 70's programmes...………….. Smile
garyspain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:31 pm 
Post subject:

bluejames wrote:
I can't see them selling at all unless they work out at a fiver each.There is only one Sheffield United collector left who is John Taylor and as he is now a pensioner,and he is stopping collecting when he gets to 500 pre wars,which he is almost at.They will not be for him.I can't see a dealer taking on the responsibility of commercially having to buy and sell that many on, so unless the club need them and want them they will be unsold,in my opinion.I would like a couple of the programmes for myself,as i am sure many folk on here would but it would need hundreds of us to get together and work something out.At this moment we don't even know roughly what the starting price is

I suspect you have nailed the reason why they are in one lot.
bluejames

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:09 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
bluejames wrote:
. Really?....

You need to speak to John as he has clearly disregarded you, as he believes he is the only serious Sheffield United collector
bluejames

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:13 pm 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:
bluejames wrote:

I suspect you have nailed the reason why they are in one lot.

Wouldn't the club already have a set?Let's face it they were not in short supply at the time were they?Who else has that sort of money to spend on programmes?
overlap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

"so unless the club need them"

Or Sean Bean, Joe Elliott, Charles Green, or any other potential SUFC moneybags?
martino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

Are Club owners interested in the history of their Club?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:56 am 
Post subject:

Certainly not in Palace's case. Their owners think football started in 2010, when they emerged on their white chargers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bluejames

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:52 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Certainly not in Palace's case. Their owners think football started in 2010, when they emerged on their white chargers.

Same scenario then as at Everton and Glasgow Rangers and Newcastle and Bolton and Bury.Even the few clubs that have fans as owners such as Blackpool will have no interest in buying old incomplete bound volumes of programmes for inflated prices.Especially as they might already have a full set of them.To suggest that a few rich old singers,songwriters who happen to support the club might now after 40 years of non collecting suddenly be inspired to start collecting is clutching at a straw.
Remember rich or not,fan or not,collector or not they have wives at home and to explain to a wife why that musty smelling pile of old paper is now filling the house and stinking it out is not a thankful task
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:09 pm 
Post subject:

You can also add previous Palace chairmen Ray Bloye, Ron Noades, Mark Goldberg and Simon Jordan who had no interest in the history of the club.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 pm 
Post subject:

bluejames wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:
bluejames wrote:
. Really?....

You need to speak to John as he has clearly disregarded you, as he believes he is the only serious Sheffield United collector

Laughing Laughing You misunderstand, I'm not a serious collector. I would never dream of labelling myself as such.

However, People may assume that if the items are bought it would be a Sheffield United collector.

When Dennis Clarebrough, sold his collection the majority of it was purchased by a Welsh tyre seller.

You're right on the assumption that they are not for him......

However....Joe Elliott from Def Leppard may well be interested. The Scholey boys have always been regarded as having the largest United collection (just a few short from Day 1) and he did once offer them a substantial amount. Perhaps now they have decided to sell theirs.

Confused
bluejames

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:26 pm 
Post subject:

Apologies.I thought as you were a forum moderator you would have been a serious collector.My mistake.
That is possibly why John labelled himself as the only serious Sheffield United collector.I am not sure what Mr Evans bought off Dennis Clarebrough but the auction house are saying this is his collection being sold by his family.Maybe there were two such collections.Either way my money,or rather lack of it is bet on these not being sold.That's my last word on the matter.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:42 am 
Post subject:

Suits me, and I suspect the other collectors of Palace stuff, as it would have been nigh on impossible to acquire some of the stuff I've got if I had been up against the club in auctions etc

CPFC talk about there one day being a museum at the ground when the new stand is built, but I have serious doubts.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:02 am 
Post subject:

Surely it's time to stop using the phrase "serious collector" as it usually means someone with the means to buy anything they want. That's not serious collecting, that's accumulating things at every opportunity they arise.

To me, people who collect seriously are those who have tramped the miles year after year, whatever their financial means, looking for that elusive issue. I know one collector, he isn't on here, Wee Frankie who collects Third Lanark. He used to hand deliver letters in the streets around Cathkin Park in the hope something might turn up. That's serious collecting, bordering on the obsessive, and anyone who knows Frankie will know of his tenacity at chasing anything up.

It's a collector's forum, why use any other adjective with the term, we're all very much the same in our pursuit of the elusive?
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:56 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:

Suits me, and I suspect the other collectors of Palace stuff, as it would have been nigh on impossible to acquire some of the stuff I've got if I had been up against the club in auctions etc

CPFC talk about there one day being a museum at the ground when the new stand is built, but I have serious doubts.

Serious doubts - What are they going to put in it? I say it will be a non starter, anyway, they have got to build the new stand first to house it, however, there are serious doubts if the stand will ever be built
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: