Football Programmes Centre

Eric Hulme - Pompey
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Eric Hulme - Pompey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:11 pm 
Post subject: Eric Hulme - Pompey

One for the Pompey collectors, looking for anything on this player who was one of - if not the - first Australian to sign for a First Division club in England, in 1951

Any programme articles that can be scanned, or perhaps a newspaper article? Thanks.
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:48 pm 
Post subject:

From The Sydney Morning Herald, 10 December, 1951

ËRIC HULME SIGNS TO JOIN U.K. CLUB

Australian Soccer Test forward Eric Hulme has signed a contract to play for Portsmouth, a leading English first division club.
The Granville inside-right becomes the first Australian to be secured by an English first division club.
He will marry on January 12 and leave by air for London on January 21.
The contract, which is for 18 months, was arranged by former Portsmouth captain Reg Flewin.
Flewin saw Australia's best soccer players when he captained the Football Association team on its tour here this winter.
Hulme will be provided with accommodation and will receive a professional player's wage of £12 sterling a week, plus £4 for a win and £2 for a draw.
The club has the option of renewing the contract after the present period.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:25 am 
Post subject:

Thanks, I've seen that report, was more looking for something from a Pompey perspective.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie....PM me your e mail address, I have a couple more I can send you

pete

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
facup1939

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Tynie

Our History Society at Portsmouth recently received an enquiry (I think via Facebook) from someone in Australia who, I believe, is researching for a book on the Football Club that Eric Hulme played for. This was passed on to me, as I usually deal with these type of requests.

I have done a bit of research on him. Some of it using pompeypete's excellent digital archive (Thanks Pete!). I understand he passed away about 18 months ago.

What is it you are looking for?

Paul.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:22 pm 
Post subject:

facup1939 wrote:
Hi Tynie

Our History Society at Portsmouth recently received an enquiry (I think via Facebook) from someone in Australia who, I believe, is researching for a book on the Football Club that Eric Hulme played for. This was passed on to me, as I usually deal with these type of requests.

I have done a bit of research on him. Some of it using pompeypete's excellent digital archive (Thanks Pete!). I understand he passed away about 18 months ago.

What is it you are looking for?

Paul.

Hi Paul, sounds like you have been conmtacted by the same person who was looking for into on an Australian football related FB page, and I thought I'd ask on here.

I think he's now in good hands so I'll leave it there, thanks for everone's interest!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: