Football Programmes Centre

Ebay problems
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ebay problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markb9060

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:36 am 
Post subject: Ebay problems

Hi All,
I recently sold 3 Memphis Depay shirts on Ebay. They have never been used, still have their tags and were purchased through Manchester United when they signed him in 2015. They were all in mint condition. I even included a bonus gift for each in the form of a programme where he was either man of the match (he was once believe it or not!) or he scored.

He recently played a half decent game against England recently so I thought it would be a great opportunity to get shot of these unwanted items.

I knew that I would be doing so at a considerable loss (especially including free gifts at no extra postage) and considering that I originally paid over £70 each for these shirts I decided to use the whole excercise to perhaps just showcase my Ebay profile if nothing else (not that I'm selling up anytime soon) For me it was just bit of fun and to keep busy.

Results were Home shirt £11.55
Away shirt £9.50
3rd Kit £44.00
Great...All sold, all paid for and all posted so just sent a quick message out to buyers to ask for either Feedback or just confirmation of receipt.

Two buyers were great and replied then left feedback but the buyer of the home shirt never replied and 8 days later has not left feedback or acknowledged receipt. That's fine, I thought, he doesn't have to but then I had a shock and my worst suspicions were confirmed when I delved a little deeper.
Robxxxx (Northern Ireland address details of correct ebay name on request) the buyer has left 6 negatives and 1 neutral for different sellers in his last 7 transactions.

Lovely stuff and it also confirms what I'd already suspected about Ebay these days. I'm not saying this guy is a scammer. He might be a wonderful person who's just unlucky with sellers or the postal service, but I haven't sold for a few years on Ebay and it makes me wonder if the 33% of my transactions which certainly look like they're about to screw uo is just an unlucky freak of nature or is actually starting to become more frequent. Strangely I had an awful experience when buying a phone case off someone a few months ago who provided a shocking service forcing me to give my first and only negative in 13 years.
Perhaps some of you guys can shed some light on the subject and as I endure my stay of excecution awaiting my Negative/Neutral for nearly £80 worth of merchandise which he has only paid £11.55 for and is inevitably going to claim a refund for. I didn't use tracking because of the value but obtained proof of postage.

Sorry that I've gone on a bit but I would be interested in your views, also interested in your advice as to wether I could remove a Negative comment for a 'not received' if I can prove proof of postage. Obviously I would try and claim compensation off RM.
Also can a buyer leave 6 Negatives in his last 7 transactions? and why have Ebay not looked into this buyers transactions?

Lastly, for me it's not really about the money....I lost that after about three performances from Memphis Depay ! No it's definitely the principle...and my sanity ! Sad

Last edited by markb9060 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:18 pm 
Post subject:

My own experience with ebay is that when selling old programmes and tickets in the UK I never have any problems - payment is made within 24 hours, positive feedback is received (never had a negative) and generally it works exactly as you would hope

BUT

As soon as I try selling anything else (some unwanted good quality clothes for my wife, a few gold coins, some Fortnum & Mason hampers) it is an absolute nightmare - a constant barrage of rude, unpleasant people and timewasters
markb9060

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:19 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks colchestersid,
Interesting perspective and one that I should think about, Incidentally, this guy has just opened up a dispute against me. I should definitely have used tracking but although I will lose, I'm thinking of escalating it and reporting his never ending Negative Feedbacks left for others.
martino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:55 pm 
Post subject:

Personally I have not had any real problems selling on E Bay; perhaps I am lucky.

Many years ago a buyer returned an item which I know was not the item I sent to him i.e. he was using me to trade up the quality of the programme.

A couple of buyers have asked to return items, primarily because they did not read the description; a nuisance but I do not have a great problem with that as there are other buyers out there.

With regard to your case, proof of postage is not proof of receipt. However, if the buyer claims non- receipt you will need the proof of postage to support a claim to the Royal Mail for a lost item. Get a form from your post office. It takes a while for them to process it but the one time I did it I got a full refund.
markb9060

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:17 am 
Post subject:

Thanks Martino,
I will definitely get that form from the post office.

Also, I want to try and make contact with Ebay just to make them aware that this guy who bought my stuff is claiming non-recept or items not as described and leaving a never-ending trail of negatives in almost every transaction he does.

I also would like to know how long a Negative feedback would be visible to other Ebay users ie does it only stay on your profile for only 12 months?

I would make Ebay aware that any ideas I had of selling anything else in the near future would not happen if this person did leave me a negative as I would not be prepared to accept this type of treatment etc from someone who is so obviously scamming anyone who can't provide tracking.
I'm also wondering if a negative feedback could be removed if it was concerning item not received when it is proved through proof of postage that you definitely sent it....in other words yes I accept that I have to refund because of no tracking but shouldn't accept a Negative because of my proof of postage?
markb9060

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:41 am 
Post subject:

Just to give a latest update,
This guy predictably opened up a case/dispute against me for non-receipt yesterday and a short while ago I responded by issuing a refund.

Immediately afterwards I got on the phone to Ebay and managed to speak with someone very quickly. I was told that I'd done the right thing by refunding him but they have taken my complaint against him seriously enough to assure me that they are going to look into his buying habits together with all his nasty Negative feedbacks.

Even if nothing else happens, it's made me feel a lot better and Ebay have told me to phone again if he leaves me a negative because yes they can quite easily remove it and I think they are removed after 12 months anyway.

I'll now just block him, put it down to bad luck and move on Nod
I'm still interested in what people think of Ebay nowadays. ie are there more fraudsters than ever before or am I just unlucky?
martino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:50 am 
Post subject:

markb9060 wrote:
I'm still interested in what people think of Ebay nowadays. ie are there more fraudsters than ever before or am I just unlucky?

I have no problem with E Bay...……. at present!

The positive is that it provides easy access to a worldwide market of potential buyers. The negative is that, as in any high volume business, you will get a very small number who flout the system and for the most part get away with it. You have done the correct thing is advising E Bay and hopefully they will take action against the buyer.
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 am 
Post subject:

I'm also wondering if a negative feedback could be removed if it was concerning item not received when it is proved through proof of postage that you definitely sent it....in other words yes I accept that I have to refund because of no tracking but shouldn't accept a Negative because of my proof of postage?[/quote]

Unfortunately your proof of postage is exactly that,tracking is the only way a third party(Ebay) can see if an item has been received. Removing a negative feedback depends on what the buyer puts,Ebay will say that is the buyers opinion. A negative stays for 12 months and can have a bad effect if you do very few transactions because it will be a high percentage of feedback.
In hindsight using tracked post would have solved all the problems and not added much to the postage costs which the buyer pays anyway.
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:30 am 
Post subject:

I find that if you talk to eBay they are very helpful. They are not aware of all issues, they need people that use their site to help police and if you do have a dispute unless it's unreasonable they are willing to assist.

For selling abroad my wife uses global shipping, which eliminates these issues and whilst I sell abroad using normal methods, countries where they claim late postage regularly I then have banned. Since I stopped posting to Australia I have had one item go astray in 12 months

But always contact eBay, they have always been helpful, no doubt their will be a counter view but I have always made them my first point of call.
markb9060

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:49 pm 
Post subject:

se20blue,

You're quite right. One of the other parcels which sold for £44, was sent with tracking for near enough the same amount but it was too late by the time I'd realised my schoolboy error.

Like I said, I haven't sold anything for years and for me it was more a case of seeing if I had kept up with Ebay's system since last time and was quite pleased with myself that I managed to list 3 items, sell them then post them and receive good feedback.

Unfortunately, the last bit is where it went a bit pear-shaped

Thanks for your imput.
markb9060

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:56 pm 
Post subject:

GrestytheLion,

I couldn't agree more. In fact I've just left very positive feedback on an Ebay Feedback survey concerning my experience with the Representative I spoke with. He was brilliant, didn't interupt me whilst I was waffling on with my complaint, made me feel listened to and gave me some sort of closure (in my brain!)

Again, Thanks for your shared observances.
giorgio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:10 am 
Post subject:

With regards to negative feedback, it comes off your statistics after 12 months, but the comment and red flag will stay there.

I love eBay. Can't say I've really had too many issues over the years, as a seller. I always get proof of postage for cheaper items but, if a buyer has very low, or poor, feedback etc, I will send them Signed For just to be safe.

I find ebay is usually great when dealing with issues. I recently purchased some non football related items from India which turned out to be fake. After I was able to escalate the claim, eBay refunded me in full, within 30 minutes and I've still got the items!!

As someone mentioned in an earlier post, any issues tend to be with non memorabilia related items. We football collectors are of a different breed!

Royal Mail, in my experience, is also very good when dealing with issues. I've had a couple of claims over the years and I've always been happy with the outcome.

With regards to your experience, I would have let the dispute run its course so that the incident was fully recorded on eBay's systems - I know someone who had something similar happen a few years ago, but when he asked the buyer to go through eBay's, 'item not received process', the buyer disappeared.
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:23 am 
Post subject:

giorgio & all Ebay sellers

proof of postage will cover you up to £20
UK signed will cover you up to £50
neither will be sufficient to defend against
item not received(INR) on Ebay/PayPal.
All items have to have tracking
RM parcels now appear to have tracking.
markb9060

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:56 am 
Post subject:

giorgio,

Yes it's good to know that the negative feedback comes off after 12 months but at the moment this gentleman hasn't left any feedback.

As for the dispute running it's course perhaps I wasn't clear, I did refund him through the Ebay procedure all be it rather quickly.

Prior to him opening up a dispute, I had asked him if he'd received the parcel. He wanted to know if I could provide tracking. I told him that I couldn't but do have proof of postage which proves that I definitely posted it.
In the same breath, I advised him to make a claim through Ebay and I would refund him through the system with the intention of asking Ebay to look into his activities after I had refunded not before. Again Ebay told me I had done the right thing.
I decided to do this when I realised that he's a serial scammer going off his feedback left for others and I knew I was stuffed. Fair play, I should have checked his credentials and posted accordingly but like I said, I haven't sold on Ebay for years and my memories going back a few years are of very rarely having any problems.
Whether there are more criminals operating on Ebay than before I'm not sure but if you copy and paste "EBay accused of failing to stop scams as another buyer loses £1,500" into google the results from this 2018 article are interesting.
markb9060

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:02 am 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:
giorgio & all Ebay sellers

proof of postage will cover you up to £20
UK signed will cover you up to £50
neither will be sufficient to defend against
item not received(INR) on Ebay/PayPal.
All items have to have tracking
RM parcels now appear to have tracking.

Thanks for info Smile
se20blue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

"Add to watch list "appears to not be working or is it just me ?
markb9060

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:08 pm 
Post subject:

se20blue wrote:
"Add to watch list "appears to not be working or is it just me ?

I'm not using Ebay at the moment but have just tested the "Add to watch list" and it's working fine for me.
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:58 pm 
Post subject:

Not so much Ebay but a change of PayPal costs standard fees are now 2.9%+30p
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: