Football Programmes Centre

What would make you collect modern issues again?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What would make you collect modern issues again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:17 pm 
Post subject: What would make you collect modern issues again?

From recent threads, it seems that I am in a decreasing minority who collects my teams H&A programmes year-on-year.

What, if anything, would encourage the many on here who have stopped doing so from buying them again? Lower price? Less bulk? Less gloss? Or has the current season collecting ship long-since sailed, and collectors have grown out of it?
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:51 am 
Post subject:

Less bulk - the cost isn't an issue and I would still be interested in having them if it wasn't for that

I collect all cup, friendly, non first team etc just not the 38 Premier League issues. If we didn't have a home cup game in a particular season then I would probably buy the first & last home games just to get one or two representative issues for the season

The fact as well that none of them are (or ever will be) rare or of any value also puts me off.
kcs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 pm 
Post subject: Re: What would make you collect modern issues again?

MINSTERMAN wrote:
From recent threads, it seems that I am in a decreasing minority who collects my teams H&A programmes year-on-year.

What, if anything, would encourage the many on here who have stopped doing so from buying them again? Lower price? Less bulk? Less gloss? Or has the current season collecting ship long-since sailed, and collectors have grown out of it?

I still collect current season home and away issues but as everyone says the bulk of the issues is a problem.

I mean this with all sincerity but I would assume one positive of being in the league you guys find yourself in makes collecting modern issues a challenge but more enjoyable?
Not that I want to be back in league one but thoroughly enjoyed collecting current season when Leeds were in league one. We are now entering the 10th season in a row in the championship with very similar programmes year in year out - I still collect them but they are all much of a muchness.

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

In answer to the question, probably nothing as far as club issues are concerned.

When you buy a programme, flick through it, barely read it and file it away never to look at again then you have to ask yourself what is the point, particularly as they are not any sort of investment.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:55 pm 
Post subject: Re: What would make you collect modern issues again?

MINSTERMAN wrote:

I am still in there too, but I am not certain why Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
MINSTERMAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:27 pm 
Post subject:

With York now being in NLN, I'm collecting quite a few 'new' clubs, so there's some novelty value there for sure.

The cost of them isn't an issue, I don't buy them as an investment or consider them to be; some spend £6 or £7 on a pie and a pint, I buy a programme. It's a consumer item for me, I just keep it not eat it!

I don't look at them often , but as a bit of a historian I like them as reference, especially true with the demise of websites like statto.

Modern issues have some really good historical content IMO. Leslie will confirm that the articles in United's European home issues are really interesting.

There's no escaping that most clubs' programmes are awash with gloss and sponsors adverts, and are far too alike and bulky to store. I was sort of hoping that with clubs having the green light not to produce may actually have resulted in smaller, stripped back issues with less commercial dross as first step at thinner issues, but maybe I was being naive.

Oddly, when clubs have produced 16 or 20 pagers for a quid or so, they have been derided by their own fans, so not sure what the right way about slimming programmes down is!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:38 am 
Post subject:

MINSTERMAN wrote:
With York now being in NLN, I'm collecting quite a few 'new' clubs, so there's some novelty value there for sure.

The cost of them isn't an issue, I don't buy them as an investment or consider them to be; some spend £6 or £7 on a pie and a pint, I buy a programme. It's a consumer item for me, I just keep it not eat it!

I don't look at them often , but as a bit of a historian I like them as reference, especially true with the demise of websites like statto.

Modern issues have some really good historical content IMO. Leslie will confirm that the articles in United's European home issues are really interesting.

There's no escaping that most clubs' programmes are awash with gloss and sponsors adverts, and are far too alike and bulky to store. I was sort of hoping that with clubs having the green light not to produce may actually have resulted in smaller, stripped back issues with less commercial dross as first step at thinner issues, but maybe I was being naive.

Oddly, when clubs have produced 16 or 20 pagers for a quid or so, they have been derided by their own fans, so not sure what the right way about slimming programmes down is!

"Modern issues have some really good historical content IMO. Leslie will confirm that the articles in United's European home issues are really interesting" REALLY??

I would not know as I may buy them but I do not think I have opened one up for the last 10 years, seeing Fred the Red finished me off!

Besides I do not consider much of what some faceless non United supporting "member of the programme team" could write that none of us do not already know!-that is not being crass that is being honest!---Still each to their own, everyone has their opinion it was just cynically mine Laughing

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: