Football Programmes Centre

Do you still collect all your team's modern programmes?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Do you still collect all your team's modern programmes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 pm 
Post subject: Do you still collect all your team's modern programmes?

I'm lucky in many respects as I have a Programme Shop, full to the gunnels, of just about everything I suppose I would ever need to read about Auchinleck Talbot. Prior to that though I had taken the decision to rationalise what I collect.

I now only connect any games we play in the senior Scottish Cup, and all the memorabilia that goes with them, plus all the programmes from when we have a run through to the Junior Cup Final (and we've done that 8 times in the last 11 years alone) Obviously I need to buy every Junior Cup programme we play, but any season we go out I just donate them to our stock.

Memorabilia and books compliment the Talbot programme collection. I have over 80 match specific pennants involving the club and I hopefully pick two or three up every season from the club themselves. Tickets and teamsheets you just never see in the Junior game so it's for the odd Cup Final (I have all our Junior Cup Final ones bar 1949) and obviously when we play away in the Scottish Cup.

A collection like this for me is manageable. I know a number of collectors have stopped collecting the modern issues because of size, weight, and cost. Are you one of them, and if so how do you keep your collection ticking over?
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:39 pm 
Post subject:

I collect Cardiff Met programmes and have every programme since our promotion into the WPL 3 years ago.

As I edit the programme I always get a few copies but wasn't really intending to collect until I bought one at our first game and just continued from there. I've got a few Cardiff Met shirts and other bits and pieces but it's a very small collection thus far. There's no point in thinking I could ever complete previous seasons but pick up older programmes as and when they crop up.

I also collect Welsh Clubs in Europe and Welsh finals at any level.
stfc831968

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:10 pm 
Post subject:

I still collect all Swindon's modern programmes, home and away.

That is more to keep the collection going though as the storage for one season now takes up a lot of room; and the programmes generally aren't an enjoyable read now.
thegers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:32 pm 
Post subject:

Still collect the latest Programmes but have given up on Books, Tickets and Teamsheets.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:46 am 
Post subject:

Stopped collecting current Palace programmes at our centenary 2004/5, due to size and storage problems.

Stopped actively collecting older programmes at roughly the same time, mainly due to cost but also because any spare dosh I had was frittered away on press photos which took priority. And still do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:11 am 
Post subject:

Still collecting from games my all time footballing hero the late Derek Dougan played in picked up the Bulgaria v Northern Ireland 72 this week only looking for the one now re his International career away to Poland 62.
paulobee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:56 am 
Post subject:

Stopped in 2012, well Aways at least, and I only pick up a Home programme when I go to the games.

I will collect all of this seasons HOMES though. Our last at Griffin Park. Cool
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:46 am 
Post subject:

I still get all Carlisle home and away with teamsheets and tickets. I put them into a comic bag with backing board and genuinely can't remember the last time I actually opened a modern programme to read it.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 am 
Post subject:

I only modern issues I actively collect are Scotland full A and U21 home and aways, and that only amounts to around a dozen programmes a year at absolute best. Also dabble with Gibraltar which maybe accounts for another half dozen a year.

Stopped actively collecting modern club programmes 25 years ago. Too bulky to store, barely ever read after purchase and ultimately worthless. Only buy any from matches I attend.

I did collect AFC Wimbledon issues for the first season they were back in the league, I have a full set home and away. No interest when making them available for sale. Tells a story.
CHRIS GIBBS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:18 am 
Post subject:

Years ago when space was no problem, I would collect anything Portsmouth FC, all games at Wembley and non league games I attended. I would also try to get all old Pompey items I did not have plus international games we had players in.
As a common thread in this topic, space becomes a factor so now its still all current season Pompey H/A at all levels, one per season of local non league games I attend and one from new grounds/games I go to. Still get the odd older issue, (mainly reserves) as only need one first team back to war.
As others have said, moden issues have become to large to store, full of photos and very little interesting items to read. Just glad my team are not in Premiership as size of some of them have become small magazine size and must be a nightmare to store.
Rocky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:18 pm 
Post subject:

I chose a milestone date, (01.01.2000), to cease collecting my teams league home & aways. I still collect Boro’s cup games, friendlies and any teamsheets / tickets. I also purchase the last home programme of each season as it always contains the seasons records & stats. Everything else that I need to know about my team is available on the internet.

To broaden and keep my collection ticking over, I branched out to collecting any North Riding Senior Cup, pre 1975 Stockton, and any local league programmes that come my way. For me, this theme of collecting has proved to be much more satisfying than religiously collecting every mass produced modern day programme relating to one club season after season. https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums

Of course, every collector has their own unique way of collecting and I admire those completists.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
The SFC Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:43 pm 
Post subject:

I still collect all Stevenage programmes, both home and away. This is more to keep as a historical record for the future - while most information is on the club website now, that is liable to disappear at some point, while the programmes are not. We're now moving to digital programmes for home matches, so it'll be away games only from this season onwards.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:12 pm 
Post subject:

I'm still collecting all Rovers homes and aways, Friendlies, plus any games played at the Mem. I find each one interesting in one way or another and think I have enough shelf space to last about another 20 seasons as long as they don't get any bigger.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
cribsie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:44 am 
Post subject:

I used to buy every Reading programme from the games I went to, and I never missed a home game for many years. In the late nineties I was moving house and realised I just didn't have room to keep them so gave them away. I kept one for every season or the significant games and when I go to matches now I don't bother buying one as a rule - there just doesn't seem to be the same feel about them.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:34 pm 
Post subject:

Stop collectung full seasons in the mid-70s when programmes started to become bland advertising mags.
Since then just added 1st & Last Home game progs to get all the seasons statistics etc plus all domestice and european cup games (H&A) as applicable which I find gives a good cross section of programmes from a range of clubs and divisions.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 am 
Post subject:

Still buy every game, a whole season fills a box roughly the size of one of th odd paper boxes that has 5 reams in it.

It's very rare I ever look back at them to be honest, each programme circa 80 pages, generally it's a read it once experience.

Couldn't not keep them though
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: