Football Programmes Centre

Sheffield Wednesday in action - against who? x 3
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sheffield Wednesday in action - against who? x 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:06 pm 
Post subject: Sheffield Wednesday in action - against who? x 3

Hi All

Refreshed by the "Whale Meat Again" thread, I hope you guys can throw some light on the following Wednesday photos against unknown opposition. They date from the mid-late 70's. I've checked HFK for clues and am struggling. Can you help me please?

First up, Wednesday seem to be scoring against a team presumably in red shirts with white trim and a large white badge. I'm thinking perhaps it's Doncaster with whom Wednesday had a few league cup games in 1977/8 and 1978/9. And who's the seated Weds player?

Next, Wednesday at home again against a team in white (or maybe yellow) shirts with black trim and a large central badge. No idea here. Looks like Dennis Leman facing the camera, but his colleague on the right appears to be scoring.

No 3 is still harder. It could be Terry Curran shooting which would make it 78 or later but not much later as shirt sponsors would be kicking in. But I can't get anything on the team in white and black, I don't think it's Fulham. The No 4 looks a bit like Peter Noble but I can't see a suitable fixture for him. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Ann Orack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:34 pm 
Post subject:

Quite possibly all Roger Wylde and yes no2 looks like Denis Leman
longeared

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:30 pm 
Post subject:

1 - That is Rodger Wylde sat down. Based on the light, pristine pitch and design of the opposition's kit I would say that is versus Doncaster in the League Cup on 13 August 1977.

2 - Wylde scoring and Leman facing the camera, that's against Peterborough on 30 April 1977.

3 - Hmm. That's Wylde not Curran, and probably a little earlier than the other photos given that the advertising hoardings are affixed to the North stand. Wylde scored in afternoon games against Chesterfield on 18 September 1976 and Gillingham on 9 October the same year, so could possibly be one of them.

Last edited by longeared on Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:34 pm 
Post subject:

Absolutely brilliant, thank you so much.

Clap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
TeamBouchard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:38 pm 
Post subject:

In the first pic, I recognise Bobby Owen (ex Man City, Carlisle) just left of no. 11.
Have just checked historic football kits and the kit is Doncaste 1977/78, so ties in with the League cup match mentioned earlier.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:52 pm 
Post subject:

longeared wrote:
1 - That is Rodger Wylde sat down. Based on the light, pristine pitch and design of the opposition's kit I would say that is versus Doncaster in the League Cup on 13 August 1977.

2 - Wylde scoring and Leman facing the camera, that's against Peterborough on 30 April 1977.

3 - Hmm. That's Wylde not Curran, and probably a little earlier than the other photos given that the advertising hoardings are affixed to the North stand. Wylde scored in afternoon games against Chesterfield on 18 September 1976 and Gillingham on 9 October the same year, so could possibly be one of them.

Thanks again - been told it's definitely not Chesterfield.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: