Football Programmes Centre

Scanning big programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scanning big programmes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy1966

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:27 pm 
Post subject: Scanning big programmes

Hi, I could really do with access to an A3 scanner to scan some large items that the A4 scanner won't handle. Does anyone know of any public A3 scanning facilities? I did look at buying one but they are really expensive.

I live in North Wales I have tried a couple of local libraries with no luck. Just thought someone had any ideas?

Andy
grantham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:43 pm 
Post subject:

You maybe better off looking at webcam scanners, as used for taking book pictures. I have 2, one I use for quickfire and one for higher quailty images, that takes a little longer.
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:00 pm 
Post subject:

I have had this problem with having to scan my daughter's artwork for my book. Some high street print shops do have them but a phone call to a local printer might have one or might know someone who has.
seand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:05 pm 
Post subject:

It's possibly not the answer you're looking for but modern phone cameras are pretty hi-res. If you can lay it flat in good light, use the flash and take your time you should be able to get pretty good results. And you should be able to crop, rotate and do some basic tidying up on the phone.
andy1966

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:24 pm 
Post subject:

thanks all, I have tried Office Lens on my phone, quality not good so far. I work in an office above a printing business actually so will ask them
smk06

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:36 pm 
Post subject:

I used a Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 scanner to scan two halves of the Ram newspaper below then stitched both scans together. It's a bit fiddly but fairly quick once you get the hang of it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-CanoScan-LiDE-210-Scanner/dp/B00400OK4I

Derby County home wants:
1982/83 Sunderland Fr (s/s)
Reds v Whites & Whites v Blues 1948-1957
1946/47 Arsenal post 5/2

Derby County away wants:
1968/69 Carlisle post 8/2/69
1946/47 Middlesbrough, Liverpool
1945/46 West Brom

Also looking for Guiseley home programmes pre-1980s.
andy1966

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:17 pm 
Post subject:

When you say "stitched together" is there some software that supports that?
smk06

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:38 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, it's called MP Navigator EX 4.0. Free to download but think I got the original copy on a CD that came with the scanner.

Derby County home wants:
1982/83 Sunderland Fr (s/s)
Reds v Whites & Whites v Blues 1948-1957
1946/47 Arsenal post 5/2

Derby County away wants:
1968/69 Carlisle post 8/2/69
1946/47 Middlesbrough, Liverpool
1945/46 West Brom

Also looking for Guiseley home programmes pre-1980s.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:23 pm 
Post subject:

A3 Scanner/Printer HP Office Jet 7612 around £75 brand new, exceptional machine-took me a long time to find the right one for the job and you can buy from HP direct and that price includes delivery and the ink is reasonable too.

That is my 2 penneth…. Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:27 pm 
Post subject:

I just lay the programme on the floor and take a pic of it. Copy it to my computer then crop it. Seems to work ok.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
andy1966

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:33 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
A3 Scanner/Printer HP Office Jet 7612 around £75 brand new, exceptional machine-took me a long time to find the right one for the job and you can buy from HP direct and that price includes delivery and the ink is reasonable too.

Sounds good, although I can't find one at that price. thanks though, I will keep looking
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:10 pm 
Post subject:

andy1966 wrote:
manchesterunitedman1 wrote:

Sounds good, although I can't find one at that price. thanks though, I will keep looking

Go on the HP site and look under offers putting in the model number HP 7612 Wide A3 Printer/Scanner.

It will be the only place, maybe try Staples on line as they have stocked them as well.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:
I just lay the programme on the floor and take a pic of it. Copy it to my computer then crop it. Seems to work ok.

Yes that does work but you do lose resolution, great method for massive newspapers ect ect Wave

andy1966

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the advice Leslie, I have found a second hand A3 scanner like yours. so will be able to add some of the larger items into my Flickr account soon
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

andy1966 wrote:
Thanks for the advice Leslie, I have found a second hand A3 scanner like yours. so will be able to add some of the larger items into my Flickr account soon

Make sure it is reliable before you pay anything out!

I have another one that would be ok one minute and then would not-if you want to come and collect it you can have it for nowt!.

Works ok but sometimes it does not Laughing

Leave it with you! Wave

kml666

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:52 am 
Post subject: A3 scanner

Hi Andy,
Leslie's suggestion is a good one.
I myself have a brother mfc j6530dw Scanner/Printer, really nice machine.
It's available from PCW/Currys at £150 with £60 cashback, so only £90!
I scan at 100 dpi and the results are very nice indeed.
Might be worth having a look at.

Kev
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: