Football Programmes Centre

would you pay £1000 for a programme
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
would you pay £1000 for a programme
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:06 pm 
Post subject: would you pay £1000 for a programme

Rare Manchester united v Pompey (postponed) on e bay for the best part of £1000

That was the price 10 years ago

Less now or has it kept its value?

Do I need it......Yes

Would I buy it at that price.......No

How many would buy a programme like this for their club ? Mmm

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

Some clubs have multiple collectors who pretty much 'have it all' so this is what happens when a rarity appears that at least 2 don't have

I'm not that sort of collector thank goodness

I would pay an awful lot for a Crystal Palace 'programmicard' though, these being the programmes for the very earliest few years of Palace from 1905
stfcprogman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:16 pm 
Post subject: Northampton v Swindon 47-8

As it is the only post war Swindon prog that I require, I probably would pay £1000 but I would prefer to get it for much less!!

JC
bluejames

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:22 pm 
Post subject:

I love this sort of debate.I remember a few years ago i went to an auction and the best way i can describe it was that everybody was happy.There was a programme came up for sale.I can't even remember which one it was but it had a relatively low estimate.Possibly £150 to £200.
it sold for over £2500 and therefore the buyer was happy that he got what he wanted.I was stood next to the underbidder who declared himself happy that he didn't have to justify the price to himself.
The seller, who was a woman who was sat just in front of me,was deliriously happy.The auctioneer was very happy with his percentage cut.That's the beauty of collecting
So to play the devil i will ask what would you pay Pompey Pete?You clearly have a strong collection and still need this which speaks a lot about its rarity i presume.Out of curiosity,as you started the thread what would your number be?
Any folk want to guess if it will sell
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:52 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the question "Bluejames"...........

I have in the past when I was working paid £500 for the pompey v man utd home 1946.47 (normal league match) + 6 others of the same season.
Those 6 sold for £30 a time......

Now I,m retired I know the 8 postponed I missing are out of my price range, If fact one of the programmes I need would go for double the £1000+

As a guess, I dont think it will sell for the asking price.......

colchestersid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:08 pm 
Post subject:

I recently paid £5500 plus commission for a set of West Ham bound volumes from 1958 to 1963

Within those volumes were the only three West Ham programmes I needed post war, all postponed games, none of which I had ever seen on sale previously in 35 years of collecting. The volumes were the personal property of the programme editor and printer, a genuinely once in a lifetime opportunity

In the end I sold all my duplicates for £5600 - meaning my outlay was the buyers commission at the auction and the ebay fees for selling. What helped was that one extra, very rare programme in the bound volumes I already had - this one sold for £3327 on ebay

So - a bit of a risk which paid off in the end but yes, for any of the three I needed, I would have happily paid £1000 for any of them
se20blue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:44 pm 
Post subject:

Hope the rare one sold on Ebay was listed on a FVF £1 weekend.
bluejames

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:33 pm 
Post subject:

pompeypete wrote:
Thanks for the question "Bluejames"...........

I have in the past when I was working paid £500 for the pompey v man utd home 1946.47 (normal league match) + 6 others of the same season.
Those 6 sold for £30 a time......

Now I,m retired I know the 8 postponed I missing are out of my price range, If fact one of the programmes I need would go for double the £1000+

As a guess, I don't think it will sell for the asking price.......

Good and honest answer but the answer shows that the reason you wouldn't buy it suggests that,as you are now retired,you can't afford it as opposed to possibly it is not worth it.It will be interesting to see if it sells won't it
Would you have bought i,t and the others you need if you had been working and earning good money?
I sympathize with your situation, in that due to my relatively low paid job, coupled with therefore my disposable income, i am way out of the game for most things i would like
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:28 am 
Post subject:

£1000 for a bit of paper

Even if I was working it would be a No No

Compare that to £1000 I paid recently for a week away in Florida for 2...

But If I had bottomless amount of money like the 2 chelsea lads bidding on peter bonetti photos..............then maybe !!

Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock

pafcprogs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:00 pm 
Post subject:

So the most I have ever paid for a single programme was £600 ( probably close to £750 with commission and postage etc)

1911 Plymouth v Swindon if you wanted to know.

Closest I ever got to repeating that was a Manchester United v Argyle Youth Cup game.

Ridiculous, except for the fact I did it....and in fact that bid and missing out to a fellow collector who paid a similar amount for the same era programme we realised that we were in fact probably the only two serious bidders on each and so we effectively cost each other money.

There then followed a period of sensible non competition, turn turn about which meant we both paid a lot less for what we needed...and also had a much more sensible world view of what the programmes were actually worth when we weren't competing.

Sadly that also means as I sell off that where there are single buyers for programmes their value is so much lower than you would have hoped.

If I look around what I have accumulated over the years if they all sold as "retail" I would probably have a half-million quids worth....but the fact is they are not actually worth even a tenth of that.

So I enjoy the odd time when on eBay a war breaks out for something unexpected....indeed last week I sold a couple of fairly low value items to Saint Clarkie ( for a low value..) only for us both to be amazed that a similar Youth team match went for almost £40 on ebay. Eight times what either of us would have estimated its value and as long standing collectors of the two clubs in question we had a pretty fair view of what it should have been and agreed that price paid was a complete bolt from the blue.

So would I pay a grand for a programme...possibly but only if I felt it had a significant long term upside on that value....I think the highest price I know of for a Plymouth programme was around £3000 for the Friendly in 1902 or 1903 v Forest....and if it came up again I don't know it would make that nowadays.

I have sold single postcards for £150 that might otherwise have been binned as they came in a job lot....I once got £300 for a Eurovision Song contest brochure from the early sixties. On the other hand I bought a lot recently on spec and simply binned the contents on arrival as they were photocopies of photographs....

It seems to me that trade cards and cigarette cards have lost most value....but odd rarities if still needed can make good money.

I still enjoy the game....and every now and again you find something that surpasses your expectation.

But if truth be known I know of one dealer who binned around 20,000 recent programmes simply because they had no actual value and were costing him storage, and I suspect that would probably be true for 80% of what I possess!
bluejames

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:02 pm 
Post subject:

pompeypete wrote:
£1000 for a bit of paper

Even if I was working it would be a No No

Compare that to £1000 I paid recently for a week away in Florida for 2...

But If I had bottomless amount of money like the 2 chelsea lads bidding on peter bonetti photos..............then maybe !!

Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock

Well that opens up a whole new,and i hope interesting argument
Is it just a piece of paper or is it a holy grail to somebody?
I understand that it it is the same price as a week away in Florida but i recently had a week away in Rome for significantly less than £1000
So why go on a 7 hour flight to get the sun and scenery for £1000 when you can go on a 2 hour flight and get the same sun and better scenery and a bloody good hotel for £650.
It boils down to the fact that it is your money and ultimately your choice is it not?
Take into account that when you come back from Florida your money is gone.When you buy a piece of paper,not necessarily this piece of paper,you can possibly get your money back plus a profit
Would you pay £1000 for a piece of paper from say the 1902 FA Cup Final?Of course you would.Then you can go to Florida 10 times when you sell it(or Rome 20 times Shocked Shocked )
It's your money and your choice, as indeed all folk make their own decisions but i never criticize how folk should and shouldn't spend cash
Fishy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:23 pm 
Post subject:

It boils down to the fact that it is your money and ultimately your choice is it not?
[/quote]

I think that this is the line with all buying and selling which is the reality.

This is a really interesting debate and I'm sure that if most of us had bottomless pockets we might just spend a bit more to get what we wanted.

There are lots of cases in point with my club, Millwall. There are 3 or 4 collectors who will pay anything to own the 'piece of paper'. As has been said above, once these people are out of the market (except for upgrading) the priced become more realistic and affordable.

My situation is that I don't have the money to compete these guys and have the attitude that 'another one will come along'. It may take a while but I'm not in any rush - I have far too many gaps to worry about the odd silly, IMHO, priced item.
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
grantham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:42 pm 
Post subject:

Thought I would add my own two penneth, the most I've ever paid for a Grantham programme was £240 (including fees), why, because it was the first and only time I have seen the clubs record win appear (1934 FA Cup against Rufford Colliery, 13-0) http://www.thefootballarchives.com/network/match.php?MID=1484

A Chelsea friendly sold for near enough £500 including fees and that is the highest priced Grantham programme I have seen, I did bid, but was out fairly early as I wasn't prepared to go too high as there were others I was interested (and subsequently won), had those not been in the auction I may have gone higher on the Chelsea friendly, but I think I would have buyers regret at £500, I certainly don't with the £240 I paid.

In my collection (I would guess like others) I've only spent decent money on older programmes and I hope they will retain their value and like others I have 80% of worthless 'stock' but I'm still just as happy to tick a recent programme from my list as I am for something 50 years old.
GARY5256

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:53 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, I would pay over £1,000 for the right item.

I started collecting about 6 years ago with the objective of building full-season collections from 59-60 to 72-73, League, League Cup & FA Cup played matches. I suppose this is a kids have left home/retirement project.

I am now about 34,000 items into a 35,000 total, and I'm down to less than 1,000 to go. These I presume to be mostly the hard to get items.

I've learned so much and often from Forum members who have helped me source rare items. I've also found many friends and fellow collectors along the way. I also get hours of pleasure from the cataloguing and filing of my collection.

The highest price I've paid so far is £900 for a Rochdale v Norwich 61-62 League Cup Final. I haven't seen 72-73 Carlisle v Middlesbrough, where I believe only 8 copies survived a printer fire. It will be more than £1,000 and I will be bidding.
grantham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:02 pm 
Post subject:

GARY5256 wrote:
59-60 to 72-73

Why those years may I ask ?
GARY5256

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:14 pm 
Post subject:

59-60 was the season I was born (8 March - 2 games played on that date)

72-73 was probably my last season as a football mad kid and I began to discover 'other interests'

I had a collection of about 1,000 then and always wondered if I could collect everything from 72-73. Currently 1 to go for 72-73 which is Torquay v Mansfield.
slightfold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:02 pm 
Post subject:

As a completist I would certainly consider the £1K as being possible if it was in one of my 'areas', and especially if it was the one I needed to complete! Obviously it depends to a large extent on your depth of pockets, £100 would be a ceiling for many, as it would have once been for me.
bluejames

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:48 pm 
Post subject:

slightfold wrote:
As a completist I would certainly consider the £1K as being possible if it was in one of my 'areas', and especially if it was the one I needed to complete! Obviously it depends to a large extent on your depth of pockets, £100 would be a ceiling for many, as it would have once been for me.

And that's what it boils down to.The three major questions i have run my collecting by which are.
Do i want it
Do i need it
Can i afford it
If i get 3 white lights, in i go, irrespective of the number.I believe that is how it should be as opposed to the OP who half dissed it before admitting it was both currently out of his price range and if it had been in his price range he would have preferred a holiday in Florida.His privilege of of choice of course must be respected as indeed should the choice to pay £1000 for "a piece of paper", as opposed to having a holiday must also be respected
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:58 pm 
Post subject:

No, I'd never countenance paying anything like that for a programme, unless I knew I could definitely get at least double back on my initial outlay. It's how I've always bought all my football programmes and memorabilia over the last 40 odd years, and I've never, ever, taken a penny out of our joint account to buy anything either. I think it's called sustainability.

Off the top of my head I can't remember having ever paid even £100 for a programme, but my Auchinleck Talbot archive is worth so much more to me than pounds, shillings and pence. Value of it is irrelevant, despite what I spend on it.
Eddie Reeve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:21 pm 
Post subject: Bound volumes

Question for ColchesterSid? Out of interest did you keep the bound volumes intact or did you split the volumes and just took out the programmes you needed?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: