Football Programmes Centre

2 x Mystery Photos (modern)
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2 x Mystery Photos (modern)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:26 pm 
Post subject: 2 x Mystery Photos (modern)

Trying to help a friend who has a pile of photos with very few details on the back. They're not worth much but the fun is finding out. Can anyone help please?

Top one is St Mirren in the half black & white shirts, and Clanford being the sponsor suggests 1994/5 season. But who are the oppo? Kilmarnock perhaps?

Next is a group of 7 blokes at Southend United, which it says in 3 places on the notice board behind them. Plus there's a Southend badge behind the bloke in the white coat. I reckon these are visitors to Roots Hall, but I'm blowed if I can work out who they are. Can anyone help please? These were my first thoughts (left to right):-

Ray Houghton
Mickey Dolenz
Tony Pulis or Midge Ure
Maurice Gibb
No idea
Jimmy Whirlwind White
No idea

All help gratefully received, please. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:52 pm 
Post subject:

Here’s your starter for ten Pete.

You appear to be right with the season in the St Mirren one but they didn’t play Kilmarnock that year ( unless it’s a friendly not listed). I don’t recognize the opposition player but I’ll dig into this a bit deeper. Can you make out any of the sponsor on the opponents ?

http://www.stmirren.info/id351.html
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:19 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks, I'd be very grateful - but please don't bust a gut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
paulobee

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:39 pm 
Post subject:

Re the Southend United picture, the first player on the left (Ray Houghton! Smile ) Is, in fact, Steve Phillips, ex Brentford FC. Thumbs Up

Steve was at Southend from 1982 to 1986.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:00 am 
Post subject:

paulobee wrote:
Re the Southend United picture, the first player on the left (Ray Houghton! Smile ) Is, in fact, Steve Phillips, ex Brentford FC. Thumbs Up

Steve was at Southend from 1982 to 1986.

Great, thank you - he was 31 when he left Southend and he must be older than that in this photo surely. He was at Torquay, Peterborough, Exeter and Chesterfield after that so could be one of those. I'll ask around.

Thumbs Up
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:46 pm 
Post subject:

Right, that group of 7 shady men is in fact an old boys' reunion at Roots Hall, in the Shrimpers club, some time in the 90's.

The 7 old Southend players are:-

Steve Phillips, Warren May, Ron Pountney, Paul Clark, Mervyn Cawston, David Crown, and Peter Johnson.
Southend_Loyal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Right, that group of 7 shady men is in fact an old boys' reunion at Roots Hall, in the Shrimpers club, some time in the 90's.

The 7 old Southend players are:-

Steve Phillips, Warren May, Ron Pountney, Paul Clark, Mervyn Cawston, David Crown, and Peter Johnson.

You are 100% correct. Loved Mervyn Cawston. One of my first footballing heroes
Southend_Loyal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry, forgot to add, I think it was 1991/92. About the time the History of Southend book was launched.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:30 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you Thumbs Up
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: