Football Programmes Centre

Why do you collect what you do ?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why do you collect what you do ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilWBA

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:44 pm 
Post subject: Why do you collect what you do ?

Always curious why people collect what they do, Tyne Topics posts asking for Australian programmes made me think (its a quiet day!!)

I know people collect the obvious stuff for their clubs but other than that why? I collect Malaga and Granada trading cards purely as Malaga was the first place I went to in Spain so always kept an eye on them since and always liked Granada as a place.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: Why do you collect what you do ?

PhilWBA wrote:
Always curious why people collect what they do, Tyne Topics posts asking for Australian programmes made me think (its a quiet day!!)

I know people collect the obvious stuff for their clubs but other than that why? I collect Malaga and Granada trading cards purely as Malaga was the first place I went to in Spain so always kept an eye on them since and always liked Granada as a place.

Good question.

Hearts and Scotland are my main collections which are probably self explanatory.

I dabble in Australia due to family links there and having visited on many occasions and watched a bit of football. Programme collecting is virtually non-existent out there, a handful of guys at best, so it's hard to pick-up new items.

Also started dabbling in Gibraltar when they joined UEFA/FIFA which has been good fun.
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:03 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Phil, I don't know if my collecting is unique I collect programmes from games my all-time footballing hero the late Derek Dougan (Wolves etc) played in I have something like 600 progs (and all in mint condition) I collect just about anything re the Doog, my girlfriend thinks there is something wrong with me and she's probably spot on!!!.
I became a big fan of the late Derek Dougan after I saw him make his Football League debut for Aston Villa at Everton opening fixture of the 61 /62 season Yul Brynner hair cut Etal and I was an Impreionable 12 old at the time and became a great fan of his style of cf play thereafter.

I also played against him to in my youth.... But that's another story.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:02 pm 
Post subject:

No idea.
I've absolutely no ties with Derby, family or otherwise.
When people ask me, I can't explain it, other than it makes perfect sense to me.

I believe that programme collectors display a personality characteristic often found in people, such as myself, who passively record "things" for a living. As opposed to actively participating in those same "things".

Our interest is both retrospective and reactive rather than immediate and proactive.

Once people such as ourselves find an outlet for that (ie programme collecting), we'll go at it with a devotion that will often come across as quite obsessive to people who don't "understand".......
andrewesq

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:45 pm 
Post subject:

I collect Tranmere programmes so I can reminisce about my childhood on the Wirral, now I am exiled I feel my programme collecting keeps me a little connected with the SWA,
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm 
Post subject:

I agree with Derby1884 above, that I obsess about collecting 'things'

I do also obsess about participating also though. I have to go to the games, but I feel a bit lost if there isn't a programme, and would feel the need to find a teamsheet and if possible have a ticket stub to keep as well in its absence. It's like I try to document eveything I participate in. Keep a scrapbook of newspaper cuttings, and keep a record book of all games attended. Little rituals. If I know there was a match badge I have to have it for the collection

The root cause for me I believe goes back to childhood - I never got to have much, so as soon as I could do the things I wanted and buy/have the things I wanted, I craved them all. 'Complete the set', indeed don't even wait to slowly acquire it, buy the whole set as soon as it comes out.

If I'm like other collectors, in most cases as soon as I have it, I'm thinking about the next thing, searching out the next thing, even just imagining what the next thing to have and collect will be.

'Things'. I can never have enough!
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:48 am 
Post subject:

I started out trying to obtain every Cardiff City programe since I was born (1980) and once I had completed that, my father took over and went back to the 1940s. Had a few years off collecting but started following Cardiff Met and now have every programme from the last three years since we began life in the Welsh Premier League. Being Welsh I decided to focus on all Welsh Clubs in Europe programmes and also Cup finals as well as trying to obtain one programme per club across Wales and Welsh Club pin badges.

Added to that any random Welsh club memorabilia (scarves, Shirts etc)
Eck

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:38 am 
Post subject:

I have a Rangers and Scottish Cup collection l also collect items related to the 1966 world cup final the first match l ever watched with my Grampy Bayliss when l was on holiday in Havant my birthplace.
A Celtic supporter l know collects Dumbarton, also a Rangers supporter collects Clyde.
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:20 pm 
Post subject: Why do you collect what you do ?

It started with Spurs matches that I attended as a kid where I always bought a programme. Then I started to work back through the seasons before I was going and it took over.
I'm pretty much complete, Home and Away back to about 1950, but have quite a few pre war issues too, with the oldest being 1920.
I've lost interest in the ridiculous size current ones though and for the last few seasons I have cherry picked the big or special matches to add to the collection.

If only it ended there Laughing
I now have around 100 original Spurs shirts, hundreds of press photos, hundreds of signed things, a few hundred badges, hundreds of player cards, books and all sorts of odd bits that I "had to have" including a couple of seats from the original White Hart Lane.

Today saw the arrival of three flags from the Champions League Semi Final in Amsterdam. I couldn't decide which colour to get so ended up with one of each Laughing

As I run my own football programme and memorabilia business, all sorts of bits come up and at least I move on everything relating to other clubs once I've had a good look at it.
EFC_Graeme

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 pm 
Post subject:

I started collecting Everton programmes from the European away games I went to since the early 2000’s then more recently started trying to get all the Everton home and away European games including the ones before my time, then after getting most of the ones that exist I moved on to the European friendlies too, so basically anything that’s Everton v foreign opposition.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:34 pm 
Post subject:

Just wondering - how many programme collectors also keep personal diaries?

Does the urge to keep records of your chosen club also apply to life in general?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: