Football Programmes Centre

England Nations League thingy.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
England Nations League thingy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:24 pm 
Post subject: England Nations League thingy.

Is anyone really interested in the current England set up personally lost interest years ago.
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:46 pm 
Post subject:

Same as myself...no interest in England or these new European competitions at all.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:42 pm 
Post subject:

Have less interest in watching England than the Premier League. And that's never going to happen.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

I'd watch England if the best young full back in Europe Aaron Wan Bissaka was picked. But he's behind Keiran Trippier and others in the pecking order so no chance of that happening. If he's not picked soon he'll do a Zaha and play for the DR Congo.

In other words, no interest here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 pm 
Post subject:

I'm going to the Final (or 3rd place play off)

Think things have picked up a lot since Southgate took over, would be great to see England win something. Last time I saw them win a competition was Le Tournoi in 1997, the year before the France World Cup

Also looking forward to a lot of the Euro 2020 finals games being at Wembley. Shouldn't be too hard to qualify for that as the top 2 in Englands group go straight through Smile
Brem75

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 pm 
Post subject:

I think since Euro 96, the team has failed to deliver however the media has built us up so much, the expectation was there for us to win something which obviously never happened. Also with the amount of money in the prem, playing for England was devalued by alot of players. Their club football took on such importance.

If you ignore the news and media rubbish, just enjoy the team that are playing for the country.

Last summer was fantastic. Yes, we had an easy run but you take it. How many countries would love to get to the semi final?!

Thats my take for what its worth!! Smile
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 am 
Post subject:

Exactly Brem. I love it when there's a World Cup or Euros on, and even non-football people want to talk about it! Wall to wall football, even tv adverts are football themed!

The reality of England is they will 99% of the time qualify for tournaments because the way the groups are seeded, they can be bang average and still win the group.

At the tournaments they make hard work of it because that's what they always do, but you can't say its not a rollercoaster ride. I always believe the journey is more exciting than the destination. And even Germany aren't all that at the moment.

What we do have is a core of technically good young players who really want to do well, and the younger age groups (U17-U21) doing REALLY well.

Totally get that many people can't get excited about it, that's fair enough.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:07 am 
Post subject:

I like the concept of supporting England but sadly i think i have become more insular the older I get and am less supportive and tolerant of players from other clubs. I know others will disagree but for example I can't stand (and never could) John Terry or Ashley Cole so find it difficult to fully engage with any team with them playing (there are others as well and not just Chelsea players). Having said that, the Southgate era and current team is a lot better in having fewer obnoxious over hyped players and i did enjoy the Euros last year.
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:43 am 
Post subject: England Nations League thingy.

I have gone from attending almost every home England game over a thirty year period roughly, to not even watching on the telly if it's only a friendly.

I think my interest has waned over the years due to the International breaks that disrupt the normal domestic season so much.
It was so much better when players met up on a Sunday after playing for their clubs, represented their country on the Wednesday and returned to their clubs the following day, with no disruption to the domestic calendar at all.

World Cups and Euros will always get my interest and I will watch this Nations Cup jobby.

My biggest fear though when England (or other countries) play these days, is that some of the Spurs players involved will get injured.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: