Football Programmes Centre

Archibald Leitch
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Archibald Leitch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:56 pm 
Post subject: Archibald Leitch

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:06 pm 

Martino, an interesting read . Thanks for posting. I think on a recent edition of ‘ Pointless’ one of the questions was ‘ which football stadiums was Archibald Leitch involved in the design of? It turned out to be most of the top clubs in Britain. Another relatively forgotten character, who was a key figure in the history of the game. Look at the state of the pitch that jimmy Dickinson and the Portsmouth team have got to attempt to play football on!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:52 pm 
Post subject: Re: Archibald Leitch

Flaming Pie wrote:
Martino, an interesting read . Thanks for posting. I think on a recent edition of ‘ Pointless’ one of the questions was ‘ which football stadiums was Archibald Leitch involved in the design of? It turned out to be most of the top clubs in Britain. Another relatively forgotten character, who was a key figure in the history of the game. Look at the state of the pitch that jimmy Dickinson and the Portsmouth team have got to attempt to play football on!

That was the state of most of the pitches irrespective of which Division they played in, most even in August had next to no grass. Still Championships were won and lost, only Wembley had a better surface and only 2 teams a year got to use it at the Cup Final. Not to forget the Ball with laces that became a lead weight when it was wet!, can you imagine how the 18year old millionaire's would cope with that, you would never see their Orange/Yellow/Green slippers they play in now Laughing

Oh and Leitch was a Genius for sure with vision very few posessed.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:37 pm 
Post subject:

Picture of Jimmy Dickinson taken in November 16th. 1963.....

Pompey beat charlton 4-1...............on that pitch

I just wonder how many of "todays" players could cope !!!!

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
andrewesq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

An excellent book by Simon Inglis I would recommend
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:13 pm 

Leslie, how about Everton’s Alan Ball , was it late 1960s?, with those famous white boots. Let’s face it, he was one player who didn’t need white boots to be noticed on the pitch. Apparently when it rained all the paint came out of the leather Laughing
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:59 pm 
Post subject: Re: Archibald Leitch

Flaming Pie wrote:
Leslie, how about Everton’s Alan Ball , was it late 1960s?, with those famous white boots. Let’s face it, he was one player who didn’t need white boots to be noticed on the pitch. Apparently when it rained all the paint came out of the leather Laughing

Thumbs Up

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
NWM Football

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:29 pm 
Post subject:

We wouldn't have thought twice about the architecture at grounds until it all started disappearing around thirty years ago.

The biggest act of vandalism in the name of 'progress' was the Trinity Road stand at Villa Park, how Aston Villa got away with knocking that down was criminal.
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
sir craven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:10 pm 
Post subject:

Thank god for Craven Cottage and the Johnny Haynes stand.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:30 pm 
Post subject:

sir craven wrote:

Absolutely, but so windy every time I have been, and this season was no different!! Wave

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
sir craven wrote:

Absolutely, but so windy every time I have been, and this season was no different!! Wave

It blows through the gaps in their Back 4!
FatGaz182

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:33 pm 
Post subject:

andrewesq wrote:
An excellent book by Simon Inglis I would recommend

Engineering Archie. a must for any football booksheld!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: