Football Programmes Centre

Billy McNeill RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Billy McNeill RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:46 pm 
Post subject: Billy McNeill RIP

Another legend of the game gone as news breaks that Billy McNeill sadly passed away this morning.

The first British captain to lift the European Cup and thus one of Celtic's immortal Lisbon Lions.
Almost 800 matches for the club in just under twenty years of service and then two spells as their manager, spanning another ten years.
Managed south of the border at Aston Villa and Man City in the eighties.

There will be a lot of pain felt by Celtic fans at this news.

RIP Billy - A Giant of the game.

Last edited by Five and In on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluejames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:51 pm 
Post subject:

An absolute gentleman.I met him several times in the past in his pub.He was always happy to share both time and stories.I don't think you would have liked to cross him though.
When he learned i collected football ephemera he introduced me to some of his old Scotland colleagues.As a result i ended up acquiring some wonderful Scotland mementos such as shirts and itineraries from Scotland games, which are to this day, locked away
RIP
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:21 pm 
Post subject:

R.I.P Billy.

One of the last of the old guard I grew up watching as a boy.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:30 pm 
Post subject:

I was away yesterday when Billy's passing was announced and heard a lot of comments on the radio about his playing and managerial records, mainly north of the border, and his astute and brave handling of sectarian issues. And I thought I'd dig out a couple of photos of him on my return home.

Firstly, Billy in action for Scotland v Northern Ireland in 1972, Bobby Clark and Derek Dougan the main protagonists but Billy standing guard furthest left in the photo. This is one of those "wire" photos which often have inferior print quality due to being transmitted by radio waves.

This one shows Billy with a young Charlie Nicholas in 1982, with speculation rife about Charlie's future. Somewhat ironically, Billy and Charlie both left Celtic in the same month, June 1983, Billy for Maine Road, and Charlie for Highbury

As has been said here and elsewhere, a great player, and top manager for Celtic and a very good man. RIP Billy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Eck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:25 am 
Post subject:

Giant in the game.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: