Football Programmes Centre

Checkatrade Final, boycott, programmes and Mothers Day!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Checkatrade Final, boycott, programmes and Mothers Day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmersboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:43 pm 
Post subject: Checkatrade Final, boycott, programmes and Mothers Day!

So Pompey have reached the final. Having boycotted the previous rounds, well not much of a boycott as I couldn't have got to any of the games anyway, I have the dilemma of whether to go to the final. I have decided that Checkatrade have suffered enough and what the hell, it will be a great day out.

No doubt the programmes will be the usual exorbitant price. You can pick up 2008 and 2010 cup final programmes for 99p, so maybe I should wait for 10 years.

Mothers day is a problem, but I have managed to convince my mum, an ex season ticket holder, that everywhere will be much less crowded if we go out on the Saturday instead.
bluejames

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:12 pm 
Post subject:

With the expected daft prices of the beer and the food on sale at Wembley plus the ticket price i would not be able to afford a programme never mind having the problem of dragging such a heavy item around all day.I would rather sit at home with a six pack and watch it on TV
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:31 pm 
Post subject:

Huge boycott at some clubs. My own club Grimsby have recorded their lowest ever figures for all games in this god awful tournament.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:30 pm 
Post subject: Re: Checkatrade Final, boycott, programmes and Mothers Day!

farmersboy wrote:
So Pompey have reached the final. Having boycotted the previous rounds, well not much of a boycott as I couldn't have got to any of the games anyway, I have the dilemma of whether to go to the final. I have decided that Checkatrade have suffered enough and what the hell, it will be a great day out.

I expect you know the F A have given us 38,000 tickets...

not bad when we had gates of 3,000 against the mighty arsenal U21,s & the mighty spurs U21,s both teams who should not have been in the draw.

Thats my beef. A competition for the smaller clubs can only be good for the game. (top clubs keep out)

After all the top clubs have the FAC to compete in, although looking at the team selection they coundn,t care a monkeys about that......even the championship put out weaken teams.

So Richard........take ya mum !!! (if poss) & enjoy a good day out

Wave Wave

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:11 pm 
Post subject:

if Sunderland get there as well it could be a sell out
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:27 pm 
Post subject:

Rovers will also take a large crowd should we make it. We can't play as badly against Sunderland as we did last Saturday so you never know.
I will be there should Rovers make it but had we got to the final and been playing an U23 side I would have boycotted the game. Which would have hurt like hell.
For every game with the U23's so far I have worked in the shop before the game then (even though I had a free ticket) I have gone up the pub and only come back to work in the shop after the game.

The big clubs have the FA Cup and the League Cup to play their U23's in so they can sod of out of our cup.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:58 pm 
Post subject:

People should enjoy a game of football for what it is, a day out, not worry about rights and wrongs of this or that

Have a drink, buy a programme, enjoy it!

Who cares if a programme is a tenner, you only live once, cup finals don't come round every season
ITFC_Simon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:24 pm 
Post subject:

I am looking forward to being involved in it next season! - a nice game against Norwich U21's would be great!
farmersboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 am 
Post subject:

Checkatrade update.

Managed to persuade all the mums to switch to Saturday. Great game between two good teams with large noisy followings. Great scenes of Sunderland supporters in Trafalgar square on you tube, wonder what the tourists made of it.
I know very few people outside the two clubs would have been interested but great day anyway.

First half felt strange, partly because Sunderland were on top, a bit like the Community Shield, but the longer the game went on the more it seemed to matter. We were brilliant from half time onwards but contrived to take it to penalties, where amazingly we took our penalties with German efficiency. I know this because I have watched them endlessly from every vantage point on you tube, because I couldn't look at the time.

Pre ordered a programme on e-bay for £11.99 with free postage, with the convenient help of a £5 e-bay voucher, £6.99. no carrying it about on the day. Gave me almost as much satisfaction as the game. Well I did pay for the mothers day meals!
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 am 
Post subject:

A great day out for the real supporters.......

Not a prawn sandwich in sight..

Another attendance record to go along the FAC v cardiff for pompey.

My 1st checkatrade match of the season......embarrassing I know but I just hate

That our micky mouse cup being open to the premership U21,s teams.

They got the FAC.....Mmm

Clap Clap Clap Clap

farmersboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:24 am 
Post subject:

Saw a full page advert in the Daily Express from Man city advertising semi-final tickets. 5 days before the match! Not the Man city fans I remember from living in Manchester in the eighties. It will be embarrassing if they do not sell out. Looks like the checkatrade final will have a bigger attendance.
bluejames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:55 pm 
Post subject:

It's interesting that all the Portsmouth fans are saying what a great day out it was and not a peep from any Sunderland fans.
Ebay is awash with programmes and tickets and key rings.Programmes now down to £2 and dropping.Will have nil value before the end of the season and take up a whole drawer of space all by themselves.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:18 pm 
Post subject:

farmersboy wrote:
Saw a full page advert in the Daily Express from Man city advertising semi-final tickets. 5 days before the match! Not the Man city fans I remember from living in Manchester in the eighties. It will be embarrassing if they do not sell out. Looks like the checkatrade final will have a bigger attendance.

Sounds like similar for BHA -

I have had two emails from Brighton asking if I want to buy a ticket for their semi final. I am on their database because when I go there to watch Palace play them, I buy a car parking space in their official car park.
kcs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:29 pm 
Post subject:

I watched the Checkatrade Trophy final (at home) and really enjoyed the match. It was a cracking game and the atmosphere sounded great - even watching it on the TV.

Well Done Pompey, deserved.... just Smile

I wonder from a collecting perspective if the programmes from early round matches will become hard to find and command a fee like some of the first league cup fixtures do these days.... Or just run of the mill like most modern post 1970 issues.

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:35 pm 
Post subject:

kcs wrote:

I wonder from a collecting perspective if the programmes from early round matches will become hard to find and command a fee like some of the first league cup fixtures do these days.... Or just run of the mill like most modern post 1970 issues.

The programmes from the early rounds are just a glossy page folded in 4.....garbage !!

Anyway I cant wait another 50 years.........I,m 70 now !!!

kcs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:48 pm 
Post subject:

pompeypete wrote:

The programmes from the early rounds are just a glossy page folded in 4.....garbage !!

Anyway I cant wait another 50 years.........I,m 70 now !!!

Yep, I have seen a few, they are exactly as you say. 4 pages of glossy garbage, with such low attendances the print runs must have been minimal as well. I would collect them if my team were to enter but apart from that I think I will give them a miss Smile

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:57 pm 
Post subject:

kcs wrote:

I went to a Gillingham V Forest round a few years earlier, 200 programmes produced, a one page sheet I think, none sold in the Forest side, only 2 sides opened and selling on eBay the following day for £25.00.

Some of these programmes from the days of it being the Leyland DAF are hard to find but rarely fetch big money and of much value.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:22 pm 
Post subject:

I got slated by a few of our contingent for attending our away game at Grimsby a couple of seasons ago. No problems getting a ticket. There was only 597 at the game.

However, Cracking game in the Final on Sunday, Proper Cup Tie. Full credit to both clubs and the support.

The bloke across the road from us, who constantly parks his cars outside our house, instead of on his drive is a Sunderland fan, so we were quite happy when Pompey won.

Apologies to the Mackem's on here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: