Football Programmes Centre

Boxing/ Football/ Rugby Wingetts , Wrexham
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Boxing/ Football/ Rugby Wingetts , Wrexham

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:57 am 
Post subject: Boxing/ Football/ Rugby Wingetts , Wrexham

For anyone that might be interested, there’s some interesting bits and pieces at next weeks Wrexham auction, including some Randy Turpin 1950s boxing press pics.
wrexham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:47 pm 
Post subject: randolph

Went to a Mike peters of the Alarm gig in cardiff last year and he told us the tale about the song he made of randy Turpin many years ago he even asked for help off the family,one night late on mike had a visitors warning him to never release or play it in public,so he didnt untill cardiff 30 years after it would have been released.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:05 pm 
Post subject: Boxing/ Football/ Rugby Wingetts, Wrexham

Wrexham, that is interesting. Unless the lyrics were derogatory about Randy, can’t understand why anyone would have a problem. As far as l know, you can’t copyright the subject matter of a song. Didn’t Dylan write a great song about ‘Hurricane ‘ Carter? Randolph Turpin is certainly a legendary figure in Wales, much like the lads from Rhyl, The Alarm.
wrexham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:35 pm 
Post subject: randy

If you put in randolph turpin the alarm or mike peters on youtube you can listen to it,the lyrics were of his life story really nothing of what happened later in his life.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:50 pm 

Wrexham, it’s hard to write a sport themed song that doesn’t sound corny, but l like that . What a great story about how the song came about that Mike Peters tells as well . With all his Welsh links, in the 1950s Turpin must have been the most popular Englishman in Wales. I remember being taken to the cafe that he once owned at the top of the Great Orme, Llandudno. . This would be in the 1960s. Here’s some photos of him training for the Sugar Ray fight at Gwyrch Castle , Wales in 1951.
wrexham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 am 
Post subject: Turpin

Got to ask the castle you mention were is it located,is it the castle on the left hand side when on the way to Llandudno possibly nearer Colwyn bay,if not any idea of what castle iam on about.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:04 pm 

Wrexham,as far as l know, the large castle on the left that looks like Camelot, as you make your way along the Welsh Riviera , is Bodelwyddan. The castle Randy trained at is Gwrych near Abergele. Others boxers trained there in the 1950s such as Bruce Woodcock.Mike’s story is great, but Turpin won against the great Sugar Ray Robinson at Earls Court , London and lost the title a few months later at The Polo Grounds , New York. Mike thought it was Wembley and Madison Square Garden. I would have thought it was those two venues as well until l checked the back of the photos .
wrexham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:58 pm 
Post subject: Gwrych castle

Just looked at some pictures of Gwrych castle many taken from the A55 it has to be the one Iam thinking about as it is only 6 mile from Colwyn bay,any idea why randy picked that location to for his training camp any links to the area,have you ever been to the castle Flaming pie just checked you can do tours for a fiver
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:54 pm 
Post subject: Boxing/Football/ Rugby Wingetts, Wrexham

Wrexham, you’re correct, I’m wrong. The large castle you can see from the road as you reach Colwyn Bay is indeed Gwrych. There is a Bodelwyddan Castle but that’s in Denbighshire. Why boxers trained there in the 1950s I’m not certain.Perhaps there was training facilities in the castle? I have seen photos of holidaymakers watching training sessions at the castle with a ring set up. Perhaps the castle owners made a few extra quid charging holidaymakers to watch top British boxers in action? Randolph did marry a Welsh woman in 1953. They had four daughters. .lt looks like Mike Peters got to know one of them in Rhyl. £5 to tour the place, l might have a go at that!
wrexham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:36 pm 
Post subject: tour

Went to llandudno last weekend but never thought of having a look at the castle.I will have to put it on my wish lists of things to do before winter 2019.Thankyou for helping Flaming.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:44 am 
Post subject: Boxing/ Football/ Rugby Wingetts , Wrexham

Wrexham, just to add, Carol Vorderman once remarked in an interview that her aunt Gwen from Wales was married to Randolph Turpin. So Randolph was Carol’s uncle.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:04 pm 
Post subject: Re: Boxing/ Football/ Rugby Wingetts , Wrexham

Flaming Pie wrote:
Wrexham, just to add, Carol Vorderman once remarked in an interview that her aunt Gwen from Wales was married to Randolph Turpin. So Randolph was Carol’s uncle.

That's the sort of useless tittle-tattle that my Mrs would be very interested in. I must tell her over lunch. Mind you, she'll never have heard of Randolph Turpin, she'll probably think of Dick.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:07 pm 
Post subject: Boxing/Football/Rugby, Wingetts, Wrexham

You keep out of this ‘Boxing Forum’ chat Pete. Mind you, one day it could be the million pound question on ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? ‘ Which lovely lady on the telly had an uncle who was a world champion boxer? Laughing
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:22 am 
Post subject: Re: randolph

wrexham wrote:
Mike peters of the Alarm

Top man and top band Nod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
wrexham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:35 pm 
Post subject:

Well said Sharrowblade very down to earth and fantastic music,do you go to the gathering Sharrowblade,Iam looking at watching him in Cardiff in june july at the kubix festival and then shrewsbury,liverpool and a couple other dates on his uk tour.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:04 pm 
Post subject:

wrexham wrote:
Well said Sharrowblade very down to earth and fantastic music,do you go to the gathering Sharrowblade,Iam looking at watching him in Cardiff in june july at the kubix festival and then shrewsbury,liverpool and a couple other dates on his uk tour.

I don't mate....I confess I haven't been to any gig since 1991. Strangely enough I was at the Leadmill in Sheffield one night in 84' watching the Alarm on their 'power and glory tour' I think it was called, when I said to my mate there's an old bloke stood over there 'what's he doing here!!!'. I doubt if this lad was over 30 but still...I always said I don't want to be that bloke when I get older. That feeling has always stayed with me I'm afraid. Confused

Or maybe, it was my sharing of a pale ale with Shane McGowan at Leeds University that put me off Laughing

Can't disagree with your description of Mr Peters, spot on. Talked to him a couple of times during the 80s. Nowt finer than sticking on the 'Declaration' album from time to time tho.
Smile
samhudson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:52 pm 
Post subject:

I love these photos.
BrandonSandersonH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:56 pm 
Post subject:

Come on, what is it that your friend buys tickets with the help of his wife? I am sure that there will be no problems to coordinate this. Surely ticket sellers check this before selling. If they require your ID, then most likely they have come up with something to sell tickets through other people who can't personally come for tickets. I had the same thing. I couldn't personally come to get tickets for top boxing fights 2021 and I had to send my son to get it. He had my ID, as I thought that he would need it for sale. I told him to tell the seller that it was for his father and there were no problems with it.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: