Football Programmes Centre

manchester united
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
manchester united

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:15 pm 
Post subject: manchester united

Great result last night for Utd

But

Was it a penalty?

Are the premiership clubs looking forward to next season with VAR

Could have results like 10 -9 unless the standard improves

Match of the Day might be worth watching !!! Confused Confused Confused

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:13 pm 
Post subject:

I think the standard of refereeing, particularly the inconsistency, is appalling.

Was that a penalty last night, was it a deliberate handball? Hand to ball or ball to hand? The player had his back to the play. Would Man Utd have been happy if it was a PSG penalty we were talking about?

I have seen similar 'hand ball incidents turned down week after week in the English leagues, although some have been awarded, hence the problem of inconsistency.

In last week's North London derby Kane was offside but still won a penalty!

I saw a graphic on a PL game last week where the Referee had handed out 100 yellow cards - why is he handing out so many more than other Refs?

An Arsenal player was sent off versus Spurs last week, yet Danny Rose followed through on the keeper but remained on the pitch!

Will VAR address these issues?

Last edited by Footyfan on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 pm 
Post subject:

If only Brian Clough was still around, there would be more classic quotes on VAR.

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
gfcpaul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:34 pm 
Post subject:

I find the whole thing a joke. Since the incident in Paris so many officials have different views on the decision. Obviously someone needs to decide exactly what is and isn't handball.
As for VAR i believe it took over 4 minutes to make the decision, imagine a dozen or more decisions needing a review, a game could take over 2 hours to complete.
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:54 pm 
Post subject: Manchester Utd,

I agree with gfcpaul. If not careful V.A.R. will ruin the game. At present it is yet another opinion and not conclusive evidence so leave the decisions to the ref.
I realise the theory is to make the referee's job easier but careful thought needs to go into how it is used. At present it seems to encompass everything
and I feel it needs narrowing down a lot.
Also as previously stated the offside rule and the handball rule need to be
thoroughly examined and simplified as the game is losing its parameters and with that a lot of its credibility.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:43 pm 
Post subject: Re: Manchester Utd,

Leigh Treymaine wrote:
At present it is yet another opinion and not conclusive evidence

And that is exactly what it is. Another opinion based on slow motion playback. They do not appear to take real time speed into account.

I think the general opinion was that VAR would eradicate human error on behalf of the officials, get the key decisions right,....does it?
Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:13 pm 
Post subject:

I too believe the game is in danger of 'destroying' itself in the rush to embrace technology.
Whilst I like the Goal Line Technology part as there can be no dispute with VAR it becomes more complicated as they try to mediate every 'dodgy' decision leaving Referees to become almost totally reliant on VAR to avoid criticism.
Other sports use VAR in limited areas, for example Rugby League for tries but not the' forward pass'. In Tennis and Cricket it is 3 Reviews per game/innings.
There will have to be some hard and fast rules on what can and cannot be challenged but before that can be done the current laws need to be reviewed fully to give up to date interpretations.
There is something wrong when Referee Mike Dean can hand out 9 Red and 92 Yellow cards in 22 games yet Andre Marriner has 3 Red and 61 Yellow in 21 games.

https://www.premierleague.com/referees/index?se=210

What is Dean doing right and Marriner wrong (or vice versa)?
markb9060

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

Absoloute stone wall penalty for me...This guy has made himself 10 feet tall by leaping in the air and moving his arm towards the ball.

Whether he was looking at or facing the ball is irrelevant....as is the fact that I just happen to be a Manchester United supporter !

Hope everyone on the Forum is ok, bit chilly isn't it
... nice to see the daffodils out ! Very Happy
roughyedz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:43 pm 
Post subject:

markb9060 wrote:
Absoloute stone wall penalty for me...This guy has made himself 10 feet tall by leaping in the air and moving his arm towards the ball.

Whether he was looking at or facing the ball is irrelevant....as is the fact that I just happen to be a Manchester United supporter !

Shocked Very Happy Clap Easy No
He had eyes in his back side then did he if he moved his arm towards the ball Judge they must be running out of bags fast for all these transactions at Old Trafford, unless the refs send the empty one back that is maybe Nod Nod
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:09 pm 
Post subject:

I have no love for Manchester United or VAR but for what VAR was intended I believe it was the right decision.

VAR has never been trialed properly & different countries, competitions appear to have a different set of laws it's choosing to review.

Similar to the spate of red cards for two footed challenges, if you throw yourself at a ball, you no longer have full control of your body, once that happens that's the risk you take. You will see these incidents going on all the time, however that's the point of VAR, more incidents identified correctly.

My issue with VAR is that currently the laws are the same for everyone playing the game, regardless of playing at Old Trafford or Hackney Marshes, now it's for the elite only.
foxes1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:12 pm 
Post subject:

markb9060 wrote:

I also think Arsenal got a stonewall penalty today when Fred hacked down Lacazette. Very Happy
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:56 pm 
Post subject:

foxes1 wrote:

I also think Arsenal got a stonewall penalty today when Fred hacked down Lacazette. Very Happy

You're right Keith. It was a penalty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:35 pm 
Post subject:

i would have given it Very Happy
mark01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:40 pm 
Post subject:

In 5 years there will be no officials on the pitch - cameras will cover every angle of the pitch and 20 ex-pros and ex referees will battle it out in the 'Intelligence Room'. The 'experts' will press their button for every decision and their score will instantly be communicated by a large glitter ball which will automatically appear from the centre spot, (sponsored by each betting company in turn.)

Any 0-0 draw will automatically go to a penalty shoot out - a toss of the coin (historical touch) between the ex pros and ex referees will decide who will play for the home and away side.

For crowd interaction in the PSO any indiscretions, goalie moves before ball kicked, encroachment, etc will be thrown open to the crowd (Crowd Intelligence Team) for voting on their key pads. As it would be unfair on the away team supporters who have less fans at the ground (Intelligence Stadium) the voting structure would have to be a suitable ratio of fans (Crowd Intelligence Supporters) eg Home CIS 30,000 Away CIS 10,000. So every away CIS has 3 votes as opposed to 1 vote each for home CIS.

In the event of a further tie the glitter ball spins round and illuminates one CIS person (over 18 years) who makes the decision on who wins the game - shall we call him (or her) the match referee.

Simple

regards, Mark Laughing
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

And in the end, Manchester United (domestically) and Germany (internationally) will be deemed the winners.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:48 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
And in the end, Manchester United (domestically) and Germany (internationally) will be deemed the winners.

of course Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

so vots knew Clap

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: