Football Programmes Centre

If not football......what would it be?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If not football......what would it be?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:09 pm 
Post subject: If not football......what would it be?

Attended an Ice Hockey game last night for the first time in about three years and......on reflection it got me wondering if there wasn't football what would I watch.

I like my cricket, cycling, NFL, and I'll even watch the Grand Prix, but I don't ever get to these live.

So, week in week out, what would it be.....I'd like to think it would be Rugby league, but I've grown disillusioned by the state of the game in the last twenty years, I can't remember the last time I went.

What would be your poison.. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:13 pm 
Post subject:

Cricket, no question. I could sit watching all 5 days of a test or all 4 of a county game, but wouldn't cross the road to watch T20.

Ice hockey for a winter night, nothing better (indoors) (sport-wise!) Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:44 pm 
Post subject:

I have never found anything to replace football.

I watched some cricket in the good old days..went to all five days of the only drawn match in the Bothams Ashes series ( I can pick em)

So maybe Rugby Union.....but sadly I would probably become a surfer....mainly between channels 401 and 410!
James73

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:00 pm 
Post subject:

What a horrible thought!!

If it wasn't football then it would most definately be Rugby Union. Played a lot at school as well as football and frequently watch games on the box as well as trying to get a long to a game or two at least once a season.

Ice Hockey really appeals to me so would give that a go and also big fan of winter sports, except figure skating, you can keep that.

Field Hockey looks good too and i see there is some new global tournament going on which is getting interest.

Cricket in forms i enjoy as well, appreciated the game now as i grow older.

God, never knew i was interested in so many sports!!!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

Definitely would be what we term over here as "American Football".

Once you get the hang of the sport, it's actually more interesting than "soccer" in that there's always so much going on. And management of the clock is an added factor. The interminable ad-breaks are a drag but that's the nature of the sport. Like cricket, a series of individual plays.

To be honest, if there was a live Premier League game on and a live NFL game on at the same time, the NFL option would win every time.

Completely different system to over here in that relative parity is supposed to be maintained by the draft system and salary caps. Unfortunately it hasn't stopped the New England Patriots winning yet another Super Bowl when, by all rights, and with a quarterback in his 40s, that just shouldn't happen.

Used to enjoy cricket but gave up on that once these 20 over-a-side bashabouts began. All the subtlety disappeared.
Museum de Latique

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:05 pm 
Post subject: Running

Interesting question as I gave up football - all football April this year.

I go running now Saturday morning and work Saturday afternoon.

Have 3 half marathons and a full marathon to come later this year. Not bad for someone who was over 22 stone a few years ago.

Not see any football at all since England v Panama in WC and left that at half time.

Dont regret if one little bit.

Bear in mind I hadnt missed a home game in over 40 years!!

Even contemplating selling the collection Not there yet so please dont message me about it.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:47 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="Pete’s Picture Palace"]Cricket, no question. I could sit watching all 5 days of a test or all 4 of a county game, but wouldn't cross the road to watch T20.

Exactly the same for me too Pete.
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:38 pm 
Post subject:

For me it would have to be Australian Rules Football every time.
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:19 pm 
Post subject:

Rugby League
Cricket
NFL
rogerclunn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:35 am 
Post subject:

Cricket for me, but can't imagine I would go on a regular basis.

Roger Clunn
stfcprogman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:12 pm 
Post subject: If no football

I agree with Pete’s Picture Palace - I would, and do, watch cricket. Used to enjoy the 40 over game, and the county championship. Game has recently been ruined by the advent of T20 and this other ghastly form which will infest us from next year
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:05 pm 
Post subject:

Used to watch a lot of NFL many years ago when it first started showing on C4, when the Patriots were rubbish, I drifted away when they got good! I’d probably pick that interest up again. Also NRL, Australian Rugby League although I’m not sure what channel still carries it.

However from a live spectator point of view, probably nothing, I’d be an armchair fan. Rugby Union and cricket just don’t do it for me.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: