Football Programmes Centre

Gordon Banks RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gordon Banks RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 am 
Post subject: Gordon Banks RIP

Just heard about the passing of Gordon Banks, probably England's best goalkeeper, will always be remembered for the save in the 1970 World Cup match when he denied Pele a certain goal.
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:44 am 
Post subject:

One of the best goalkeepers I ever saw play for Leicester City.
Cantona93

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:32 pm 

Banksy was one of my very first football heroes even though I supported Man Utd. As a young 10 year old goalkeeper in 1970 he was the man.

I also remember him playing in in a League Cup semi final replay at Old Trafford in 1972 against West Ham when, if memory serves, he miraculously saved a rocket of a penalty from Geoff Hurst.

A very sad day
Fishy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:35 pm 
Post subject:

Very sad day indeed.

RIP Gordon Banks, your place was deservedly reserved in history many years ago.
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:53 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, a very sad day, without a doubt the best keeper ever in an England jersey. I took this myself the first time I ever saw him play, Palace v Stoke, 1969/70. No idea why I took a camera back then.

This one is for Leicester, possibly in the 1963 FA Cup final as I think it's at Wembley.

A truly great goalkeeper and it was my privilege to watch him in action.

RIP Gordon - simply, the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
se20blue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:08 pm 
Post subject: Re: Gordon Banks RIP

Topbidwinsagain wrote:
Just heard about the passing of Gordon Banks, probably England's best goalkeeper, will always be remembered for the save in the 1970 World Cup match when he denied Pele a certain goal.

Here's what the legendary Brazilian forward said about that iconic moment in football history:

"After I had the cross from Jairzinho, I jumped to say 'goal’. I looked and I did 'gooo….' and then stopped.

"I scored more than 1,000 goals in my life and people don’t remember that, but the goal I didn’t score they remember!"
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm 
Post subject:

If you get the chance on You Tube, check out the pass from Carlos Alberto (I think) to Jairzinho.

But going back to THAT save - breathtaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bluejames

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:16 pm 
Post subject:

RIP
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:59 pm 
Post subject:

Another legend gone.

RIP
Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:02 pm 
Post subject:

A legend who probably won’t be bettered.

It’s been a sad week in football with the deaths of Fred Pickering, Ian Ross and Mick Kennedy already announced following on from two other players, Joe Fascione (Chelsea) & Matt Brazier (QPR, Cardiff & Orient) earlier in the month.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
beaudog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:43 pm 

Very sad news about the passing of Gordon Banks. Without doubt the best goalkeeper I have ever had the pleasure of watching, and the fact that he played for stoke City, my local club for so many years, makes his passing even sadder.
A wonderful keeper, a very humble, down to earth man, who made his art look so easy. He will be remembered for his unbelievable saves that have become part of our history But I remember him about 1964 coming to Stoke with Leicester dressed in a really scruffy looking kit and on that day, a very warm day he strolled around the pitch catching every ball and stopping every shot, making it look oh so easy.
On another occasion I attended a short course with Don Revie and Gordon as the main speakers. I fancied myself as a bit of a keeper. But in a 60 minute talk and demonstration he completely altered my viw of goalkeeping, wonderful instruction.
Stoke City, Stoke on Trent, the entire football community stand in salute and respect to a wonderful man.
R.I.P. Gordon
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 am 
Post subject:

Even to this day the tradition from the Kop is to applaud the visiting keeper as they approach their penalty area before the start of the half, albeit with reduced enthusiasm from yesteryear.

The classic response shows Ray Clemence receiving a rapturous welcome on his return to Anfield with Spurs in 1982. Other enthusiastic welcomes were afforded to Pat Jennings, Joe Corrigan, Gary Sprake and Peter Shilton amongst others.

Gordon though was special. Spine tingling now to remember the genuine love and appreciation he used to receive every time he came to Anfield. This was also evident when we played at the Victoria Ground. It was as though he was one of our own and was indicative of the appreciation the Kop had for fair play, hard work and pure genius. It was ironic that his last competitive game was at Anfield in 1972 before his career was cut short the day after. At the start of the following season he was led on a lap of honour by Bill Shankly with the Kop singing "Nice one Gordon" and "You'll Never Walk Alone" to him. The silver salver presented to him that day remained one of his most prized possessions.

RIP Gordon, a true legend.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 pm 
Post subject:

This photo (now sold) shows Gordon with Ray Clemence after his last game at Liverpool, on the day before the car crash.

The referee is the great Roger Kirkpatrick, who, if my memory is correct, had sent Gordon off after the final whistle for persistent dissent. If that's the case, it was quite a way for our best-ever goalkeeper to end his distinguished career in this country.

Perhaps Jim could confirm that?

Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 pm 
Post subject:

The amount of chancers on ebay with their new Gordon Banks listings leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
This photo (now sold) shows Gordon with Ray Clemence after his last game at Liverpool, on the day before the car crash.

The referee is the great Roger Kirkpatrick, who, if my memory is correct, had sent Gordon off after the final whistle for persistent dissent. If that's the case, it was quite a way for our best-ever goalkeeper to end his distinguished career in this country.

Perhaps Jim could confirm that?

I'm pretty sure Gordon wasn't sent off after complaining to the referee about a free kick that led to a goal. (He broke the 4 step rule!) I don't recall any reports confirming this.

BUT on looking at the Youtube clip, Kirpatrick's hand gestures could suggest otherwise.....
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

I'm pretty certain the narrative on the back of this photo said he'd been sent off on his way off the pitch. But I no longer have it to check.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: