Football Programmes Centre

LEEDS UTD v MANSFIELD TOWN 7th Feb 1970
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
LEEDS UTD v MANSFIELD TOWN 7th Feb 1970
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:44 am 
Post subject: LEEDS UTD v MANSFIELD TOWN 7th Feb 1970

Older Leeds Utd supporters when asked to name the great Revie team of the late 1960s will invariably name the following 11 -

SPRAKE REANEY COOPER BREMNER CHARLTON HUNTER LORIMER JONES CLARKE GILES GRAY

The only time this side took the field as the starting 11 was on 7th February 1970 in an FA Cup game versus Mansfield town:

abbones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

What about a league game where not one of them played?

Harvey
Davey
Peterson
Lumsden
Kennedy
Yorath
Galvin
Bates
Belfit
Hibbitt
Johannson

30th March 1970 v Derby
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 pm 
Post subject: LEEDS UNT v MANSFIELD

Footfan, he’d gone by the late 1960s , but little Bobby Collins( 5ft 3ins) would have to be in any all- time great Revie team. He could really play, but was probably the chief destroyer in a team packed with tough guys. . Watching footage of the first few minutes of the 1965 FA Cup Final, when he ‘ did’ Liverpool hard man Gerry Bryne with a crunching challenge , still makes you winch. How Bryne played the whole game, , including extra-time, despite sustaining a broken collarbone in just the third minute, doesn’t bear thinking about!
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:57 pm 
Post subject:

The game where Revie conceded the Title to Everton and the FA fined Leeds £5000 for fielding an understrength team.
Today, the Premier League sides field reserve squads in the Cup competitions all the time!
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:07 pm 
Post subject: Re: LEEDS UNT v MANSFIELD

Flaming Pie wrote:
Footfan, he’d gone by the late 1960s , but little Bobby Collins( 5ft 3ins) would have to be in any all- time great Revie team. He could really play, but was probably the chief destroyer in a team packed with tough guys. . Watching footage of the first few minutes of the 1965 FA Cup Final, when he ‘ did’ Liverpool hard man Gerry Bryne with a crunching challenge , still makes you winch. How Bryne played the whole game, , including extra-time, despite sustaining a broken collarbone in just the third minute, doesn’t bear thinking about!

I saw Bobby Collins play for Leeds, I was also at the 1965 Final as a 12 year old. Great player who Revie signed when all thought he was over the hill. He led Leeds to promotion in 1964 and won Footballer of the Year in 1965 as well as winning his Scotland place backl
He broke his thigh after a brutal tackle when Leeds played in Torino in the Fairs Cup in Sept 1965, effectively ending his career although he played a few games for Bury. Revie moved Giles from winger to midfiled to replace Collins.
Howard Wilkinso did a similar signing getting Strachan from Man Utd in 1989 with very similar results for both club and player.

Last edited by Footyfan on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:07 pm 
Post subject: LEEDS v MANSFlELD

Footyfan, l was at ‘ The Battle of Goodison Park’ 1964. The ref had to take the two teams off to cool down. Fights breaking out all over the pitch. Now that was interesting!
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:15 pm 
Post subject:

I have the newspapr cuttings from the Battle of Goodison game tucked inside the programme,
The interesting statistic is the foul count that was 19-12 in Everton's favour.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:18 pm 

I remember reading somewhere that as part of the deal that took Collins to Leeds from Everton, Catterick was interested in taking Billy Bremner to Goodison. Can you imagine if it had come off, you could have possibly had three great redheads , Tony Kay( if he hadn’t been banned) , Billy Bremner and later Alan Ball all in the same line-up. Would have been fantastic
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:26 pm 

Footyfan, l think the 19 on the foul count would have all been down to Sandy Brown and Johnny Morrisey. I wish we had another couple like those two in the present Everton team. They need something to shake them up.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:33 pm 
Post subject: Re: LEEDS v MANSFlELD

Flaming Pie wrote:
Footyfan, l think the 19 on the foul count would have all been down to Sandy Brown and Johnny Morrisey. I wish we had another couple like those two in the present Everton team. They need something to shake them up.

Different game today, even minimal contact is a free kick and invariably a Yellow Card, plus the diving/falling over antics.
I find the modern game most frustrating and the modern programme bland.
Rant over Laughing
cssjim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:18 pm 
Post subject:

I have a scan of a copy of a scan of the Derby Leeds programme
unbrakochaz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

The only names that ring any bells are Harvey and Yorath
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:45 pm 
Post subject: Leeds Unt v Mansfield Town 7th feb 1970

By 1970, that skilful little winger, Albert Johannson, was probably past his best, but Bates and Hibbitt would have got in a lot of top teams during that era. Belfit came to Everton for a big fee, but never really came off. Makes you aware that Leeds had a lot of strength in depth in the days when teams would sometimes get by using just 13 or 14 first team regulars during a season.
unbrakochaz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:47 pm 
Post subject:

You're spot on Derby won the title in 71-72 with only 14 players
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:40 am 
Post subject: Derby Title

Another way of looking at it is that Derby pinched the title whilst on holiday because Leeds were forced{because of Hardacre's hatred for Don Revie} to play at Wolves the Monday after the Cup Final where they were done again by 3 awful refereeing decisions. Story of Don's life to a certain degree.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:15 pm 
Post subject:

I suspect Revie's attempt to bribe the Wolves team also gave them a bit of incentive not to be beaten
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:57 pm 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
I suspect Revie's attempt to bribe the Wolves team also gave them a bit of incentive not to be beaten

Oh dear not that old chesnut!
I suggest you get yourself up to speed rather than simply quoting hearsay!
https://sabotagetimes.com/football/leeds-united-don-revie-and-a-40-year-old-slur
goonerboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:04 pm 
Post subject:

Not sure anything in that article disproves it....i have personally heard Stokoe state that Revie tried to bribe him. I dont know whether Gary Sprake's comments on the BBC documentary were ever rebutted or not but it is curious that Revie was happy to sue the FA but did not litigate against what must be pretty bad slurs on his character . At the end if the day i doubt we will ever know now whether it was true or not.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:24 pm 
Post subject:

IMO no manager would have been offered the England job by the 'blazers' at the FA with such 'issues' in circulation.
One also has to ask why people like Stokoe took so many years to go public. What Stokoe alleges supposedly took place as the time the big football bribery scandal broke where several players were jailed and banned:
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/sixties-scandal-that-shocked-the-game-1611646.html
Why would Revie just try and bribe Bury but no other team?
As the earlier link shows, the 'witnesses' were paid to speak out but proved unreliable when the matter went to court ending with Bremner being awarded £100k damages.
The whole business smacks of tabloid journalism at its very worst.
Karb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:59 am 
Post subject:

Even Peter Lorimer seemingly had his doubts about Revie.

The penalty decision was hotly disputed both at the time and afterwards, as Peter Lorimer recalled in his autobiography. "Don said out of the blue: 'If anybody gets anywhere near the box, get down.' Jimmy Greenhoff, who was quick when he was in full flight, set off on one of his jinking runs and was fully five yards outside the penalty area when he was brought down. By the time he had stumbled, fallen and rolled over a couple of times he was inside the box, and the referee, Ken Stokes, pointed to the spot so quickly that it was almost embarrassing … This was at a time when there was a lot of talk about referees being got at. I am not saying that Stokes was, but the issue begged close examination. Firstly, why did Revie issue that 'dive' instruction and, secondly, why did Stokes award a penalty that so clearly was not? Lots of things were happening in football that simply did not add up, and this was just another of those …

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19670320.htm
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: