Football Programmes Centre

Manchester City v Newcastle United 1946/1947 POSTPONED issue
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manchester City v Newcastle United 1946/1947 POSTPONED issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:52 pm 
Post subject: Manchester City v Newcastle United 1946/1947 POSTPONED issue

Does anyone know if a programme was issued for the postponed game originally dated 1st March 1947.

The game was eventually played on 3rd May 1947 (programme issued as normal) and I am aware that City tried other dates to get the match on before the date above----again, does a programme exist for any other date?

I seem to remember reading that the government put a block on mid-week games, does anyone know if that is an accurate statement? This was the year of the bad winter (with multiple games postponed) and, if mid-week games were not possible it is no wonder the season didn't finish till mid June 1947.
Also, if it was true(mid week games banned) why did the government put this veto in place?

Incidentally, whilst Manchester City ran away with the 2nd division championship in 1946/1947 it was Newcastle who won at Maine Road in this match after previously beating City at St. James Park.

Sad
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:11 pm 
Post subject: Re: Manchester City v Newcastle United 1946/1947 POSTPONED i

Topbidwinsagain wrote:
Does anyone know if a programme was issued for the postponed game originally dated 1st March 1947.

The game was eventually played on 3rd May 1947 (programme issued as normal) and I am aware that City tried other dates to get the match on before the date above----again, does a programme exist for any other date?

I seem to remember reading that the government put a block on mid-week games, does anyone know if that is an accurate statement? This was the year of the bad winter (with multiple games postponed) and, if mid-week games were not possible it is no wonder the season didn't finish till mid June 1947.
Also, if it was true(mid week games banned) why did the government put this veto in place?

Incidentally, whilst Manchester City ran away with the 2nd division championship in 1946/1947 it was Newcastle who won at Maine Road in this match after previously beating City at St. James Park.

Sad

I'm no expert but there was a shortage of labour after the war and I would imagine the government thought they would prevent working men from wanting time off to watch afternoon football matches in the bad winter when they should be clearing roads or railway lines.

Just trying to put 2/2 together.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:22 pm 

Thanks Pete,

I think you could be right, it was not unusual to work on Saturdays as well, although this (Saturdays) could have been mornings only.

I've been doing some checking----it seems the football days were only Saturdays plus holidays (ie Easter and May bank holiday) looking back at the fixtures.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:14 pm 
Post subject:

15th march 1947

worth a read........

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:48 pm 
Post subject:

Another success for the post-war Labour government (which my granddad and parents fought for).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:49 pm 

pompeypete you are a star, I have read it and the answer is there, I did not realise 1946/1947 season was in danger of being abandoned, the war was over but still dark days for the general public.

Looking more and more that postponed programme does not exist--or does it? Neutral
Nemez2k2949

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:51 pm 

Topbidwinsagain wrote:

Sad

Do you know
with what score did Manchester play then? Confused
Rocky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:35 pm 

Topbidwinsagain wrote:
Does anyone know if a programme was issued for the postponed game originally dated 1st March 1947.Sad

Newcastle played at Sheffield United on 1st March 1947 in one of four scheduled FAC quarter final ties. As such, with those ties already scheduled would Man City have produced a programme?

Sherlock

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:22 pm 

Topbidwinsagain wrote:
pompeypete you are a star, Neutral

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:44 pm 
Post subject:

ROCKY, you have nailed the problem.

All Manchester City programmes had volume numbers(for the season) and numbers for each match.The last game before the 1st March date was Volume 41 number 16 the game v Spurs, the next scheduled home match was the 1st March---obviously number 17. The bad weather really struck around this time and, after revising the fixtures, City played the next home match v. Birmingham City on the 15th March 1947 number 18 i.e. no programme number 17 exists as far as I know.

As you have pointed out the FA cup was played on that date (1st March) and this date was known for some time ( the FA cup date) so why a missing programme number?.

I realise this now sounds complicated but not really.
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:45 pm 

pompeypete wrote:
Topbidwinsagain wrote:

Just seen this--brilliant!
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:52 pm 

pompeypete wrote:
Topbidwinsagain wrote:

Just seen this--brilliant!
Rocky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:17 pm 
Post subject:

Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:09 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, the programme was a large single sheet issue for the Fulham away game, it is claimed that many of the clubs issued much reduced match programmes due to the paper shortage at the time exacerbated by the extreme weather conditions. What is now amazing is the number of games that went ahead during the freezing conditions January 22 to March 17 1947.
atletico

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 pm 
Post subject:

Dundee Courier
Tuesday 4th March 1947

Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:22 pm 
Post subject:

Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:56 am 

atletico wrote:
Dundee Courier
Tuesday 4th March 1947

Thanks Atletico that is probably the final piece of the jigsaw, I am surprised the information was found in Dundee nevertheless it does make the situation quite clear.

A programme for the original 1st March date would not have been possible due to the FA cup ties to be played on the same day (Newcastle United still in the cup).

In all probability the game recheduled for the 5th March must have had a programme either completed or in production and so there must be one out there. The question now is, does anyone have one (a no.17) and is it for sale?

Many thanks to you guys who have helped, it has revealed that, in those immediate post war years the difficulties facing football,footballers and the general public was far more dire than I imagined but eventually everyone pulled through one way or another.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: