Football Programmes Centre

heavy defeat
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
heavy defeat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm 
Post subject:

Just found a Pompey win in Guernsey 1955

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 pm 
Post subject: heavy defeat

A surprising FA cup run by Burnley in 1956/1957 produced some remarkable scorelines in beating Chesterfield 7-0 in the 3rd round and then New Brighton 9-0 in the 4th round, both games at Turf Moor.

OK, they were big wins, this can happen in the FA cup but the facts are stranger than just the margins of the victories. In the Chesterfield match Burnley introduced Ian Lawson, a bustling centre forward (no.9) at 17 years old, he crashed in 4 goals, in this, his debut match. He followed this up by scoring 3 goals in the match v New Brighton and went on to score again in the next round v Huddersfield Town, this was a bit like "Roy of the Rovers" stuff for the newspapers-----today he would be rolled out as the next Ronaldo or the next Shearer and no doubt someone would pay £50 million for his services before too long.
However, Ian never made it, when Burnley let him go in 1962 he had made only 30 appearances in total and Ray Pointer had taken the no.9 shirt and made it his own. A really strange story that began in all its glory but probably ended with a level of sadness about it.
Rocky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:14 pm 
Post subject:

Delving through my scrapbooks I came across this 9-0 defeat for poor Brighton who were playing their first ever game in the old Division 2. Brian Clough managed to notch five goals for Boro during the demolition.

Remarkably the return fixture spawned even more goals, this time a 6-4 victory to Boro with Clough only managing a hat-trick on this occasion

That was 15 goals for Boro in just two league fixtures. How times change, Boro have only scored 28 goals from 26 league fixtures this season and of course Brighton are gracing the Premiership.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
coolascustard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:33 pm 
Post subject:

The infamous Derby County premiership season i went to every game that season heavy defeats i saw them.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:56 pm 
Post subject:

Thinking back I reckon the most abject C Palace performance I've witnessed was in the last game of the 1998/99 season, away at Queens Park Rangers.

The result was QPR 6 CPFC 0.

Palace had entered administration in March 99 and overnight lost the heart of its team out on loan for the rest of the season - players such as Craig Moore, Andy Linighan, Lee Bradbury, Jamie Smith and David Tuttle. This was all as a result of the disastrous "take-over" by Mark Goldberg which saw him hand the wallet and say-so to Terry Venables and that partnership lasted till mid Jan when the money ran out and come mid March the only remaining players were ageing senior pro's and a bunch of promising kids.

But it became the stuff of legend when the likes of Dean Austin and Simon Rodger played out of their skin and lads like Clinton Morrison and Hayden Mullins became men overnight, winning an amazing away game at Norwich, beating Grimsby and Bradford City at home and scrapping like mad for points in draws with Wolves, Huddersfield and Sunderland.

And so the last game of the season came, Palace were safe in about 14th, and QPR were also mid table. Nothing to play for, the hard work done. And Kevin Miller in the Palace goal decided he was already on holiday, his job was done. He just stood and watched as goals flew in past him. It didn't help that Chinese international defender Fan Zhiyi, who couldn't have imagined a day like this when he was signed by Venables in a flash of TV lights and razzamatazz, was sent off for pushing the referee half way through the first half. The 10 men and boys had no chance and QPR were rampant. And Fat-Boy Miller has never been forgotten, or forgiven, by any Palace fan there on that terrible day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: