Football Programmes Centre

Newport fac win
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Newport fac win

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:38 pm 
Post subject: Newport fac win

Congratulations to newport.......

What a result

Just proves if you rest players...........the reserves are not good enough!!!

All in all a brilliant weekend for the underdogs

Those who DISRESPECT the fac get what you deserve.......

Even my team played norwich who had 7 or 8 changes, their 1st would had beaten us

So to all those teams who put out weakened teams.......SHAME ON YOU

Wave Wave Wave

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
gfcpaul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:58 pm 
Post subject:

Totally agree
Was in a pub with Cardiff fans yesterday who thought we had a decent chance as they knew they were going to make a lot of changes.
Pleased for Michael Flynn always underrated at Gillingham where i felt he was one of our best players.
Fantastic results to for Oldham and Barnet.
foxes1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:32 pm 
Post subject:

Just got back from Newport and they deserved it. Problem with football these days it's all about staying in the premier league and that's it. Don't understand why we made all these changes as we safely sit in the middle of the table. Think a lot of it is that foreign managers don't know how much the F A Cup means to the supporters
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:19 am 
Post subject:

Brilliant by Newport (well done Wiggy!) and others.

I have a feeling that Fulham, Huddersfield and Cardiff aren't too upset that they are out the cup and get a couple of 'rest' weekends now. Warnock even looked like he was half smiling in his post match interview IMO
James73

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:00 am 
Post subject:

Fantastic result for Newport, listened to it on the radio and it sounded like a real hum-dinger of a cup tie. Commentators had to stand to see the penalty taken as they could not see through the crowd and when the penalty went in some communication lines for other broadcasters went down due to the reverberations of the fans. That is what the cup is about.

I fully side with Foxes1, why did Puel make so many changes? Leicester are sitting mid table and safe. It is madness as a good cup run is always good for the fans and the coffers!

I must admit though I was pleased with how Poch treated our performance on Friday and his reason for bringing on Kane. He didn't need to but I though it was a nice gesture to the Tranmere fans. He is a foreign manager who gets the competition now.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:20 am 

Made up for Newport and Wiggy. As James73 said, Spurs had the right attitude. Putting out a strong team, and bringing on Harry Kane was a great gesture, something the kids at Tranmere will remember forever. Hope this Spurs team win something, they are a bit special. Couldn’t get a ticket myself, season ticket holders only, which l understand, then voucher holders from the Boxing Day game. Was away on that day. This is all fair enough, but at a game on Saturday , , someone pointed out that there seemed to be a lot of empty spaces at Prenton Park. If this is true,, seems a bit daft that Tranmere would throw away money like that. A lot of people would have travelled over from the Liverpool side of the water if you could have got a ticket on the night.
foxes1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:15 pm 
Post subject:

James73 wrote:
Fantastic result for Newport, listened to it on the radio and it sounded like a real hum-dinger of a cup tie. Commentators had to stand to see the penalty taken as they could not see through the crowd and when the penalty went in some communication lines for other broadcasters went down due to the reverberations of the fans. That is what the cup is about.

I fully side with Foxes1, why did Puel make so many changes? Leicester are sitting mid table and safe. It is madness as a good cup run is always good for the fans and the coffers!

I must admit though I was pleased with how Poch treated our performance on Friday and his reason for bringing on Kane. He didn't need to but I though it was a nice gesture to the Tranmere fans. He is a foreign manager who gets the competition now.

Think Pochetino learn't his lesson last season after nearly coming unstuck at Newport as well.
James73

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:22 pm 
Post subject:

Totally agree with you Foxes1, were only 8 minutes away from elimination ourselves.
Apparently the scouting dossier that Newport put together on Spurs for that tie was so good that Juventus asked for a copy before out CL ties!!

Thanks for this kind words Flaming Pie, I hope this is the year we win a trophy Confused
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

I've seen two arguments against putting Kane on for the last 20 minutes when already 5 or 6 nil up.

1. He should be rested.
2. There's no need to rub it in any further on Tranmere.

Both pathetic.

Poch's the manager who gets the picture, Kane is a fit young man who loves playing football and is quite good at it.

There are no other criteria. All these nay-sayers should get a life.

Anyway, I watched the Newport game on BBC and it was brilliant. I thought it was game over when Leicester equalised after all that fantastic defending by County. But then Albrighton jumped with his elbow sticking out, silly fellow. And up stepped Padraig Amond, a journeyman lower league striker, to grab his 15 minutes of fame and glory. He's got 140 career goals now, and it's time he found the spotlight.

Truly superb, and that came after Oldham and Barnet's heroics earlier. What a day it was for the FA Cup! And luckily it was a Sunday because if it was a Saturday I'd have been at Selhurst Park and missed it all.

Having said all that, I know Grimsby lost and only had 10 men for 88 minutes, but what an effort by their 5,500 travelling fans for a 5:30 kick off. Nearly 20,000 at Selhurst thanks to them, and made it a blinding atmosphere. Shame they went home with nothing.

Now, what time's the draw?

By the way, this is what a cup giant-killing looked like in 1952. Leyton Orient (Div IIIS) won 1-0 at Birmingham (Div II) in R4 and O's Jackie Deverall is congratulated by either a visiting fan or a member of the O's staff, perhaps. Glorious.

Last edited by Pete’s Picture Palace on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:09 pm 

With regard to Kane being brought on against Tranmere, couldn’t agree more Pete. As l said, the kids will remember and recount the tale of seeing one of the greatest goalscorers of the modern era in action for years to come. I don’t think think they can be wrapped in cotton wool. Harry Kane wouldn’t want that. Tranmere fans in their forties still talk about seeing Gasgoigne in his pomp at Prenton Park in the League Cup late 1980s. Old timers like me go on about that fine Tommy Doc Chelsea team in the snow at Tranmere 1963. Before that we had Alf Ramsey and Spurs in the Fa Cup at Tranmere early 1950s. Grimsby fans will talk about nearly holding out for a whole game against Palace with ten men for years to come. Without these memories you have got nothing really.
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:22 pm 
Post subject:

And who could forget Pompey v newport 1949 FAC.....

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:19 pm 
Post subject:

Newport County fans won't want reminding about this FA Cup clash

At Barnet, 1st round, 1970/1 season

4th division County slumped to a record defeat by a non-league side when Southern League Barnet thrashed them 6-1. And talking of 15 minutes of fame, but the bloke scoring here had his money's worth 3 years later - it's Ricky George, later of Hereford Utd. Any Newcastle fans tuning in will be quaking in their boots.

And talking of Wiggy, he won't mind... this photo used to be his!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:32 pm 
Post subject:

As many of you know, I'm a massive fan of the FA Cup. Not just the tradition but the opportunity it gives Clubs to make a bit of history and fans to visit grounds which they normally wouldn't.

My boys have always loved it, and despite the chances of winning it are slim it has provided in recent seasons great days out at Villa, QPR, Fulham etc etc and a memorable semi Final as a League 1 Club.

I'm not one to get too agitated by our performances but yesterday was an embarrassment. A very dark weekend in the club's history. (Gary Madine's imminent transfer to the club he was too scared to visit last season). What the hell are we doing
Sad Sad

I hear what FoxesI is saying about foreign managers, but we can't use that as an excuse, we've got an English one, and we don't even have a player in the squad who isn't British or Irish.

We made 10 changes from the previous game, I know Wilder will claim the players need a rest, and the team should have been good enough, but every time we've had a break this season we've gone and lost the next game. He says it wasn't good enough and the fans should have booed the players louder. Sorry Chris, booing is for the uneducated masses and you have to take the Lion's share of responsibility for this one. We treated the opposition with no respect and we deserved exactly what we got. Nothing.

There are clubs, players and supporters up and down the land who will claim the Cup is meaningless and they should do away with it.

They're wrong.

Barnet were brilliant, their support put many of the championship clubs to shame. I was sat near them and they never stopped. Bravo, they deserved it.

I hope they get the draw they want in the next round. Good luck Bees
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:32 pm 
Post subject:

Players tired.......give me a break !!

Liverpool won the title in 65/66 with a squad of 14 players & played in europe.

Our poor little luvvies cant play twice a week.......unbelieveable Sherlock

bee007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:35 pm 
Post subject:

It is not often you can say I was there, but yesterday, I WAS there. Having followed Barnet for 50 years, these things at our club don't happen often. Although we have been promoted 3 times to the FL, they were games against teams at our own level. I know Sheff Utd made 10 changes, but you can only beat what's in front of you. As we support rival clubs, Sharrowblade's and my opinion may well differ, but I thought we matched them for virtually the entire 90 minutes. Sheff had most of the possession as expected, but actually created very little until the last few minutes when first, Sharp miskicked in front of goal, then our keeper somehow tipped a header onto the bar. From our perspective, it was quite an open game, and we attacked when we could. There was hardly a bad foul all game, and we didn't resort to hoofball(tried to play football on the deck where possible) and didn't resort to blatent time wasting at the end(even winning a corner with 2 to go) Total respect to all Sheff fans, as at the final whistle after our celebrations, many of their fans stayed to applaud our lot off. Outside after, before boarding our coaches, there was a massive sing-song which was also enjoyed by the Stewards and Police. When a large gathering of Sheff fans started coming down the hill, we thought there might be some clashes(as some of ours were well pissed by then) but they had come to congratulate us and wish us well. Some were saying they will adopt Barnet as their London club, others hoping we get Wednesday away and do the same to them. A unforgettable day(made more special by the people of Sheffield) but life goes on and next week we will probably loose at home to Dorchester in the FAT.
bee007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:40 pm 
Post subject:

I meant to say that on our forum fans are asking for a possible PSF at the Hive so we can reciprocate the hospitality that we were shown. With our ties(Darren & Tony Currie) it might just happen.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 am 
Post subject:

bee007 wrote:
As we support rival clubs, Sharrowblade's and my opinion may well differ, but I thought we matched them for virtually the entire 90 minutes.

Yes it does differ. we didn't match Barnet at all.

As Chris Wilder said afterwards we weren't second to the ball, we were fourth or fifth.

All the best in the 4th round
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:46 am 
Post subject:

"The Greatest Cup Competition In The World" was always the self-proclaimed adulation around this time of year from the English media.

They surely can't have the brass neck to trot this out anymore, for an increasing number of teams its a chance to field the stiffs and the kids.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: