Football Programmes Centre

Beware mounted shirts in frames!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Beware mounted shirts in frames!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:53 pm 
Post subject: Beware mounted shirts in frames!

Over the last few seasons I've been steadily building up all aspects of my Auchinleck Talbot collection, including match worn and match produced shirts. When the chance came to possibly purchase a worn one from our 2009 Junior Cup Final win against Clydebank it was done so on the proviso that it had already been mounted in a frame.

Upon viewing it I bought it, but only having asked the previous owner about how the shirt had been installed in the frame as I didn't want one that had been somehow permanently affixed to the backboard as I would eventually be removing it to store with my others. I was assured there might be one or two clips inside to hold it in place (this is what he'd been told by the guy he paid to have it framed)

Yesterday I removed the backboard and went to take the shirt off only to find it had been stuck down with double sided (very sticky) white tape. It left one hell of a mess to the back, and when I opened the sleeves up they too had been subjected to said dreaded tape. Such shirts are historical artefacts, and yet folk have them mounted and framed without knowing exactly how they are being handled.

To say I was appalled is an understatement, and after doubting the parentage of the framer asked my wife if she had any ideas about removing the mass of tape residue. She went upstairs and came down with a can of De Solv It STICKY STUFF remover and said try that.

It's a really long job, and I've another can or two to purchase to try and finish the job off, but it is slowly working. It's probably going to take another couple of applications followed by a very hot wash as well to make it anything like it should be. So the moral is, if you're going to have your shirt framed get it done by a genuine professional who will do it for you as you request. Nobody's going to pay a four or five figure sum for an old FA Cup winners shirt or the like only to have it be subjected to death by taping. Make sure you go the whole process with them, and if they can not do it how you wish don't have it framed.
kenners46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:23 pm 
Post subject:

Hi John, not sure what is in what you have used so far but if white spirit isnt inside it you could also try that but worth sampling on a small area 1st.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:43 pm 
Post subject:

Have used the DE SOLV stuff that I mentioned and it seems to be working, albeit it'll be a long haul. The post was more a warning to folk who might be considering having a shirt framed, and the pitfalls of giving the job to a cowboy.
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:26 pm 
Post subject:

Have got a player shirt where the previous buyer's kid had put his name on the reverse of the shirt using a biro pen. Anybody got any ideas on how or if I can remove the biro ink

Many thanks
Shirt Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:49 am 
Post subject:

Horrible scenario always have to be very wary with framed shirts.
Was haggling with a vendor over framed Man Utd Newton Heath shirt.Was assured it was mint on closer inspection safety pins at rear had rusted.Making the shirt near worthless.The saying buyer beware never more relevant.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: