Football Programmes Centre

Stanley Matthews - Playing for Denmark? 1963
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stanley Matthews - Playing for Denmark? 1963

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:37 pm 
Post subject: Stanley Matthews - Playing for Denmark? 1963

Firstly, a Merry Christmas to all on the forum and those I've had the pleasure to either buy from or sell to in the past twelve months.

I have a programme which featuers Stanley Matthews playing for a Danish select team. It seems related to some form of football tournament, with there being another match later on the same day as part of the programme.

I wondered if anyone knew why Stanley Matthews was playing in this match and what the reason would have been? He appears to be the only English player involved in a Denmark v Sweeden (old boys) game.

Any help appreciated.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:56 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting. If it helps the Swedish team is purported to be the 1948 Olympic Games Gold medallists and they're playing the Danish select side including Sir Stan.

The other game is between Eintracht Brunswick of Germany and a team called "Alliancen" whom I would guess are a mixed 11 from Copenhagen. All the Danish league teams in 4 divisions are listed on the fixture page.

I've got one of these BT Fodbold Service programmes from the same year and that covers 2 games on 27th October, KB v Koge and B1903 v AB which are 2 x 1st division games, as per the list in your prog.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:16 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Pete - a bit of info there but hopefully someone will know why he seemed to feature in this game.

The Danish seem to always put two teams matches into one programme, I have a few like that.

This programme and around 60 others that I have for Danish league games around this sort of time are all available for sale if these interest anyone. I can send a list.

Matt
beaudog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:54 pm 
Post subject: Stanley matthews-playing for Denmark?1963

I don't google, but wasn't Stan's last international appearance against Denmark in 1957? I lived by the school where he attended, Wellington Road Secondary. My dad also attended just a little before him. Great to see the wizard of dribble as he helped to revive the fortunes of Stoke City in the early 60s.
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:24 pm 
Post subject:

Stanley was well known for making guest appearances all over the place. He appears to have been a big attraction as he commanded a large appearance fee and a percentage of the gate.

No idea in this case but assume it is the same as all the others.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: