Football Programmes Centre

Frank Womack - Birmingham, Torquay, Grimsby, Leicester
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Frank Womack - Birmingham, Torquay, Grimsby, Leicester

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:43 pm 
Post subject: Frank Womack - Birmingham, Torquay, Grimsby, Leicester

There seems to have been a sale of memorabilia relating to the long career of Frank Womack, who played at full back for Birmingham City in the period 1908-1928 and in over 500 league & cup games failed to score a single goal - I believe that's still a Football League record.

Somehow I have acquired from different sources 5 press photos of him at various stages in his career and I thought, before I pass them on to their collectors, I'd share them with you as a sort of photographic history of a famous old player, of whom most of us had never previously heard anything, I reckon.

Anyway, having left the Blues he joined Worcester City as player-manager for a while and then went to Torquay, playing 19 games before becoming their manager in 1930, aged 42. From there he moved to Grimsby Town as manager and there he made his name as they embarked on the most successful era in their long life, winning Division II, finishing 5th in Division I and reaching an FA Cup semi final. He was signed by Leicester in 1936, who were near the bottom of Div II, and in 1936/7 they were Division II champions. It must have seemed that Frank was a gifted manager but that ended in 1939 when City went back down again and Frank's career wasn't quite over but it was downhill all the way from there, ending back at Grimsby in 1951 and relegation to Div III North at the end of that season.

He lived in Lincolnshire and died in 1968 aged 80.

The first photo shows Frank heading clear for Birmingham in their V-neck blue shirts at Chelsea in all white - this was in either August 1921 or August 1922.

Next is Frank when manager of Grimsby, from 1932-36.

Next, Grimsby Town, Div II champions, 1933/4. Frank stands far right.

Leicester City, c 1937 or 38, with Frank in charge.

Finally, July 1939, and Frank having left Leicester was still available for a game of cricket with his old charges, 2 of whom have been identified as Fred Sharman (3rd left) and George Dewis (5th left). Frank is obviously opening the innings with Dewis.

Happy Christmas, everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Fishy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 am 
Post subject:

Lovely piece of history Pete - thank you for sharing.
I'm sure that the new owner will be delighted.

Happy Christmas to you - may you get all the points you wish for ........
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: