Football Programmes Centre

Inter-Cities Fairs Cup
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Inter-Cities Fairs Cup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMusic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:23 pm 
Post subject: Inter-Cities Fairs Cup

Hi All,

Would anyone know where the official records, documents, committee meeting minutes, archives... etc of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup are kept please? It was a FIFA-run event rather than a UEFA one but I don't know whether they retained all the paperwork or passed it on to UEFA or another party.

Thanks in advance for any help Smile
seand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am 
Post subject:

I have no idea where any documentation might be, if indeed it still exists, but as far as I know FIFA were not involved in any way. Some of the early proponents of the competition, like Stanley Rous, went on to be involved in FIFA alright.

I know UEFA do not have records of the Fairs Cup though.
martino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:50 am 
Post subject:

You have probably already done this but have you written to UEFA to ask them?

Alternatively, our own National Football Museum in Manchester may be able to give you some guidance.
seand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:12 pm 
Post subject:

I was talking to somebody in UEFA about this a few years ago. They don't consider it an 'official' forerunner of the UEFA Cup, and don't have records of the games in their master database. That's not to say definitively that they don't have paper records somewhere, but I don't think anyone in UEFA cares in the slightest about it.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:40 pm 
Post subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Cities_Fairs_Cup

Clyde qualified for this back in 1967, but were refused entry as Rangers had already qualified for it and only one team per city could enter.
seand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:47 pm 
Post subject:

There's definitely an interesting book to be written on the Fairs Cup and it's Byzantine rules, which changed from season to season. It'd only be of interest to the type of nerd you'd find on a football programmes forum though! Laughing
garyspain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:18 pm 
Post subject:

UEFA are quite strong on this not being a proper UEFA competition.

My club (Limerick) actually qualified for Europe in 1965/66 as losing cup finalists. They qualified because the winners Shamrock Rovers had already opted to take a Fairs Cup place. This would suggest it was considered more prestigious than the ECWC in 1965.

No idea where you'd get access to the files though.
Driver8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic: Were you just curious to know where the records are kept or was there a specific reason for trying to locate them?

I am not sure if you were aware but there was a book published circa 1972 titled “History of European Fairs Cup” written and compiled (in English) by Donald Ford. I don’t think it was ever made commercially available as it doesn’t contain a cover price nor have an ISBN number. The book tells the story of the competition from an organisational perspective charting its rise and ultimate demise. Statistics are included but are limited to dates, results, match attendances and referees, although there are many errors unfortunately.

https://www.sportsmemories.be/Book.aspx?id=9185

The ‘one team per city’ rule was, given the original ideals of the competition, a sound one. It was only as the competition grew that it seemed rather unfair. There were precedences of some cities having two clubs e.g. Barcelona CF and RCD Espanol (1961-62 & 1965-66) and, PAOK and Aris (1965-66). The rule appears to be one that the English and Scottish FA’s adhered to quite rigidly. Indeed, the English FA continued to apply the ‘one team per city’ rule well into the 1970’s and I seem to remember it took a challenge from Everton with UEFA as late as 1975-76 to gain a UEFA Cup place, which had originally been given to Stoke City. Everton had finished 4th and Stoke 5th. Everton having been ‘excluded’ as Liverpool had qualified for the UEFA Cup as league runners-up.
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:29 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks a lot for all the replies, everyone. Aside from anything else, would anyone be able to give me access the book entitled "History of European Fairs Cup” written and compiled (in English) by Donald Ford please?
giorgio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:38 am 
Post subject:

Kick Off Programme

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:49 pm 
Post subject:

It was also as far as I remember only open to cities who held "trade fairs" whatever they were. this caused some clubs to be excluded, That combined with the 1 club per city rule enabled Newcastle to win it in 68-69 having finished 10th in the league the previous season. Also representative sides could enter, hence "London" entering in the 50's I think
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: