Football Programmes Centre

Pete's Picture Palace - New Website
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pete's Picture Palace - New Website
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Pete.

Great new site - love the search function at the top.

My only question is as to how the ordering / payment process works?

Does a buyer fill up his shopping basket and then send you a request, after which presumably, you e-mail people back with confirmation?

Then, how would the buyer pay?

Hope you generate lots of sales from near and far.

Even before people buy, the site is a marvellous visual archive in its own right.

Best wishes,

Mark
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:53 am 
Post subject:

Goalsandwickets wrote:
Hi Pete.

Great new site - love the search function at the top.

Does a buyer fill up his shopping basket and then send you a request, after which presumably, you e-mail people back with confirmation?

Then, how would the buyer pay?

Hope you generate lots of sales from near and far.

Even before people buy, the site is a marvellous visual archive in its own right.

Best wishes,

Mark

Basically, yes. The website sends me their order electronically, to which I reply.

And they pay me either by Paypal, bank transfer, cheque, and (rarely) cash, and sometimes in exchanges.

Thank you for your interest and comments. I try to make it as interesting and varied as possible, and treat every club the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:11 pm 
Post subject:

Great Pete.

Good luck.

Smile
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:28 am 
Post subject:

Site update tonight, chaps.

Been a bit of a slog since Xmas, continually outbid at auctions which is frustrating but hey - that's life.

Also contending with a spate of similar "Bob Thomas" photos appearing at 5 or 6 auctions across the country within a couple of months of each other. Most of which ended up on EBay courtesy of one or two buyers who ended up selling (or not!) the same photos simultaneously.

I, of course, ended up with some of them and a few of them are in this update but I don't think you'll find these on EBay. But I may be wrong on that.

Anyway, here's a few in the new batch

A real legend - Cliff Bastin, until Wrighty came along the record goalscorer at Highbury.

Mansfield Town circa 1961 - some good players in there and also one or two caught up in the betting scandal of the time and subsequently imprisoned &/or banned for life. A sad story really. The main culprit here is Brian Phillips, back row, 2nd right, with a bit of a tear going through his head. Nothing sinister in that, I assure you.

Bob Ledger of Oldham - a man to send a shiver down the spine of many a Palace fan. There were Palace, top of Div 3, last day of the 63/4 season, home to Oldham, and 1 point needed to be champions. Up stepped Bob and the balding winger grabbed a hat-trick - not to say he was goal-shy but 37 goals in 222 league games isn't exactly Ronaldo, is it? And he pooped on our party, Palace losing 1-3 and Coventry ending as champions. Cheers, Bobby!

Sampdoria 1982 and they've just signed two superstars of English football - how very dare they? And here they are, milking it after their new team beat Juve. Brady & Francis.

Brighton v Charlton, probably 1928. Addicks centre half Jack Pugsley hacks it clear under pressure from Albions' Dan Kirkwood (probably). A 90-year-old photo in amazing condition.

And here's Jock Stein taking a cheque from Barrs' soft drinks firm who are sponsoring the European Youth League which Celtic are hosting, Easter 1973.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:46 am 
Post subject:

If anyone's still interested in original press photos, one-off mementos of our football history, I've updated the website again tonight with a further 223 images taking my stock to 7800. Here are one or two examples:-

Arsenal v Aston Villa FA Cup 6th round, 1934. A spectator is in trouble and he's hauled out of the massive crowd. The faces, expressions and headgear are priceless.

1982 Southampton and Kevin Keegan and Alan Ball wallow in the mud

Kilmarnock v Hibernian 1977 Ally McLeod scores past Killie keeper Jim Stewart

Talking of Scottish keepers, this is the legendary Stewart Kennedy playing for Forfar Athletic v Hamilton in 1988

The last Wanderers to win the FA Cup. 1960 and Wolves lift the famous trophy. Scorer of 2 goals, Norman Deeley, is furthest right.

All 7800 unique images are on straight sale on Pete's Picture Palace. And all new photos in this batch are displayed here in my Facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Petes-Picture-Palace-431574396909262/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1706088156124540

Thank you all for looking and your support. Sometimes I feel I'm fighting a losing battle in trying to keep press photos at the forefront of collectors' and historians' minds. But then at auctions there is so much interest and competition, and that encourages me to plough on regardless. Thumbs Up
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:59 am 
Post subject: Petes Picture Palace

Some great photos Pete. Ball and Keegan, saw a lot of their early games at Goodison and Anfield. Ball cost a fortune and keegan a relatively small amount, but both of them were special players. I think one of Keegan’s first games for the Reds was away pre-season at New Brighton? He was relatively unknown . I wonder was he named in the programme? I had a look at the Wolves v Blackburn 1960 Final ( the full game is on youtube) . Pretty dire stuff, like watching modern day Everton Shocked Only Broadbent and Deeley stood out.The Doog didn’t look interested for Blackburn. Perhaps the lad was carrying an injury? Wolves looked one hell of a hard team though! That Wheelan bloke broke his leg in that game, but he keeps that one quiet.😀
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

Website update again tonight. 196 more added, stock now up to 7905, a new record. Not that that's anything to be proud of - it's far too high. For that reason I have (temporarily, probably) stopped buying batches of 200 random, unstamped, duplicated, 1980's auction lots at various auction houses when I have very similar photos already on the site.

Instead I have been choosing older photos at higher prices selectively and I show some here. I've taken a bit of a gamble and a hit to my bank balance but as they say- "Quality sells!"

The whole lot also shows (without any details) now on my Facebook site here

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Petes-Picture-Palace-431574396909262/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1830029593730395

Ally McLeod, Blackburn 1958. Move on 20 years and poor Ally didn't look quite so at ease with life.

Blackpool team group, 1951. The photo's first owner was from Preston and made some disparaging comments about this side on the back. Details were in my August article in PM.

Chris Duffy, Charlton - the man who scored their FA Cup winning goal

Chelsea c 1930 - Wembley Wizards - Hughie Gallacher and Alec Jackson. What would they be worth in today's ludicrous transfer market?

A clean-shaven Jimmy Hill 1952 Fulham

Opening day 1968/9 season, Leeds 3 Spurs 1. Pat Jennings bravely at the feet of Peter Lorimer with Messrs England, Knowles and Collins hanging around.

George Best shows off his catching skills to his Danish fiancée, 1969

Willie McNaught, Raith Rovers tough defender of the 50's, gets an award. Willie was the father of Ken McNaught.

Stirling Albion & Doncaster Rovers sides line up for Jock Whiteford's testimonial 1951

1929 Postcard - Sunderland's Tommy McInally & Adam McLean, both ex Celtic. This is superb, I love it.

1949 FA Cup Final - Billy Wright is chaired by Bill Shorthouse & 2-goal Jesse Pye

So for a wander down Memory Lane, spend 20 minutes on Pete's Picture Palace and find 196 photos in this update. And get your cheque books out! Thank you in anticipation.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:44 am 
Post subject:

Site update today, another 300 press photos added so the total now exceeds 8000 - all on straight sale. It would have included these two but I sold them in advance to two nice gents on FPC. I'm sure they won't mind my sharing them here because in 17 years of doing this, I had never had these 2 players in individual photos. There's no need to tell you who they are....

The following are not yet sold:-

I love this one - Sheffield Wednesday's Johnny Fantham is a barber in his spare time, and has opened a salon - here's teammate Tony Kay testing him out. He looks a bit nervous. And would a Blade have trusted him? I wonder....

This is superb. Spurs in their double season, v Blackburn, New Year's Eve 1960. The now demolished East Stand looks on as Danny Blanchflower stretches in front of John White but misses the target.

And this one is the 1961 Sports Photo of the Year, Gordon West of Blackpool.

1953 Doncaster Rovers team group with Irish stars Harry Gregg and Eddie McMorran

Now I played cricket against this bloke at school, he was in the Croydon schools cricket team (I wasn't) - and Arsenal juniors at the time (I also wasn't!). He "came home" to Palace in 1981. David Price, possibly the worst midfielder in Palace's history, and that's saying something.

Night all.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:54 am 
Post subject:

Another site update tonight, just in time to beat Christmas so if anyone wants a present for an uncle, grandad, dad, brother, boyfriend or even yourself, fill your boots please - and I'll post immediately first class.

172 new ones added, stock now well over 8000 original press photos on straight sale. A few examples:-

England squad 1967 - playing N Ireland in a Euro Nations Cup qualifier the following day. Peter Bonetti is in there if anyone's interested. So are Mike Bailey, John Hollins, Peter Thompson, Tommy Smith......

I picked this one up off Ebay a couple of months back, I wasn't sure why nobody else wanted it. Andy Lochhead of Villa is heading their goal v Brighton in a 2nd Div match, Sept 1972. Can anyone help me with the Brighton players, please?

RAJ "Sailor" Bert Brown, Charlton Athletic either side of WW2. Lovely photo, didn't know much about him. Why "Sailor"? Because his rolling gait and stocky frame reminded his mates of Popeye. Brilliant.

It's a long lonely walk for Martin Jol, sent off for WBA v Spurs in the 1982 League Cup semi final 1st leg. Not sure what he was sent off for, but no doubt he missed the second leg too. And out went Albion by the odd goal.

MTK Budapest on their way home from a European tour at the height of the Hungarian uprising, November/December 1956. The narrative is in German and I'm sure it says 3 players remained in the west (ie defected) but today on Wiki it says none of their players defected at all, but 3 other Hungarians did (including Puskas). The great Nandor Hidegkuti is on the plane.

Enjoy all. Some nice history there. Happy Christmas all.
se20blue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:53 am 
Post subject:

Pete, where is your Gender equality ?

Another site update tonight, just in time to beat Christmas so if anyone wants a present for an uncle, grandad, dad, brother, boyfriend or even yourself, fill your boots please - and I'll post immediately first class.

Happy Christmas.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 pm 
Post subject: Petes Picture Palace- New Website

Always interesting to see these photos Pete. If l ever start collecting again, l think it would be Press Photos that l would go for. Here’s an interesting one. In May 1939 a team of German photographers were( as far as l know) given free access to wander around England and photograph whatever they wanted. Pretty handy when it is highly likely that they were likely to be at war with us soon. Hitler must have had friends in high places! This included photos of factories , military sites, army bases, recruitment centres etc. Quite unbelievable really. Anyway, here’s a photo of some top England players in May 1939 being shown the ropes. If anyone can name the four faces on show that would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:39 pm 
Post subject:

I've seen that great photo before.

Any chance you could email a jpeg to me the right way up & I'll try to remember who they all are?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:46 pm 
Post subject: Petes Picture Palace- New Website

Here it is the right way up Pete. Wouldn’t have a clue what a jpeg is. Looks like the picture was taken on the 9th May 39 and a report appeared in The Western Daily Press the following day. The article headline was: Thirty Footballers From Arsenal, Charlton and Fulham Joined the First Battalion, Royal Fusiliers Yesterday. The German description on the back of the photo mentions The Royal Fusiliers. I think the player 2nd to the end of the line is from Arsenal. iPad sent photos are not that sharp. The person who l bought this off had other images taken by the German photographer, but l only purchased the football one. Seems odd that German photographers had free reign to take whatever pics they wanted in England at this period in history.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:07 pm 
Post subject:

A jpeg is probably what your image is already.

No matter anyway. I think Eddie Hapgood is in it and one or two other Gooners but it's a few years since I saw this photo and I really can't remember now.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:55 am 
Post subject:

3 months down the line and time for another site update, at last. As some of you know we had a tough time in February but have emerged in March with a new optimism, a few nice auction wins helping along the way. Hence 280 new photos are uploaded now and ready for your perusal. Here is a small selection:-

1923 FA Cup Final - an official reprint in 1964 produced by the agency when West Ham reached their second final. Beautiful photo in great nick, with Billy the white horse in the distance. What's not to love about this photo, albeit 41 years younger than the image shown? And what price for an original original? This 1964 version is £25. I reckon you could stick a 0 on the end for a 1923 version.

There are many new team photos in this batch, and this is one of the best of them. Leicester City, 1937, at some function or other. To be fair most of the team groups are a bit more modern than this one!

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Liverpool 1974 and Brian Hall gloriously heads the winner past Phil Parkes:-

West Ham Utd about 1936. Peter Simpson (still Palace's record goalscorer) is left, Ted Fenton central, and on right is Jimmy Ruffell, who with 505 league appearances was the Hammers record holder till Billy Bonds overtook him.

Frederick Ingram "Fanny" Walden, Spurs, c 1913 or soon after. Signed by Fanny and dedicated to Jamie. In flimsy condition overall but over 100 years old. I found out that, after leaving Spurs with 2 England caps, Fanny joined Northampton for a season, all the while playing county cricket for Northants. He then became an umpire and reached test level, standing in the 1938 test at The Oval when Len Hutton scored 364, England got 903-7 dec, and beat Australia by a record margin of an innings and 579 runs. That was a "timeless test" that was all over on Day 4. Imagine the scenes today.

Also have a couple of really nice England photos of Man City legends Franny Lee and as here, Mike Summerbee:-

Thanks for looking, folks! Thumbs Up
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:32 am 
Post subject:

A brief note to advise that my site is finally updated again after a gap of nearly 5 months.

I may struggle to do another for ages now as I am involved with an ageing relative on his death-bed with no other relatives to call on. Poor old boy is very sick and I am duty-bound to help in any way I can. House, garden, car etc all need attention, and his paperwork is enormous. His main worries are his vinyl collection (I know not what, yet) and his die-cast models which I know are boxed and go a long way back. So I am in new territory. And he lives an hour away so my time for press photos, auctions, Ebay etc may be short.

Sorry to bore you, not sure anyone reads my updates any more anyway, but if you do, there are 269 photos in this update, so stock is now well North of 8,000. This tweak includes (and apologies for lack of much descriptive text)

Chelsea v Man City FA Cup 1971 Bell shoots past Bonetti, the Cat

Oldham Athletic team 1935/6 with canine mascot

Tottenham v Oldham 1911 Latics keeper Matthews tips over at White Hart Lane

West Ham - Jimmy Collins, 1929

Reading 1986 - Trevor Senior with Div III trophy

QPR 1974 - King Don Rogers in hoops

Real Madrid 1960 - having their first look at Hampden Park before one of the greatest matches in history

Thank you all for your support and understanding.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:51 pm 
Post subject:

Site update tonight. Could be the last such update posted on FPC. I hope I'll be able to do something similar on the new version.

229 new photos in this batch, from Aberdeen to York City. Total stock now north of 8200.

But I'm asking myself if anyone reads this any more as my last 2 updates have prompted zero replies on here. Time will tell.

Here are some examples of my new stock.

Brazil v Portugal 1966. One superstar is down (and almost out) and another consoles him - not the last time we'll see Eusebio in that sort of pose. And thankfully not the last we saw of Pele in football. Roll on 1970.

Charlton - Derek Hales, 1984. Derek hears that his club are trying to re-sign Mike Flanagan. That pair never got over their bundle on the pitch when they lost to Maidstone in the Cup. Hales was so incensed by this news that he was stripped of the club captaincy and made to train with the stiffs. But I think common sense prevailed........... eventually.

Carrington FC 1899 - champions of the Notts Amateur League and including in their ranks John "Jack" Gunn, Notts CCC and England cricketer. There may be other cricketers in this image too. And some of them went on to play for Forest, Burton Albion & Swifts, Gainsborough Trinity etc. I don't get many 19th century press photos so thought I'd share it here.

England v Rest of the World 1963. Jimmy Armfield & Alfredo di Stefano exchange pennant/plaque prior to the Centenary international. Referee Bobby Davidson (Airdrie & Scotland) presides. Damaged at top sadly but otherwise a great image.

Cheers all.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:13 am 
Post subject:

Saw your photos on facebook Pete. Have to say for some weird reason I don't remember having seen the last two updates further up this thread - perhaps they were on busy 'Predictor League' days, and the notifications got buried somewhat.

Hopefully the new forum is easier to upload to, and there will be more of a response.

Have a good Christmas.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:34 pm 
Post subject:

For the first time in 6 months I have now updated my website, adding a further 731 press photos to the existing stock of about 8000. Not only is this the biggest website selling press photos, it is the ONLY website selling just football press photos - in the World.

I normally update every 2/3 months, but I was delayed by 2 matters. Firstly, I bought a huge bundle at the end of January which buried me for a while. As soon as I surfaced, the lockdown came along. I was forced to abandon posting orders for about 6 weeks and thus it was pointless updating the website while that was going on. But now we are relaxing a little and I can make a once-weekly trip to Carshalton Post Office with a bagful of orders. So any orders placed will be posted on the following Tuesday - for the time being.

Anyway, here are a few examples from the new 731.

Arsenal v Sunderland 1952

Blackburn v Liverpool 1963 Kids run on after Moran scores a pen, Else is downcast

Blackpool's Atomic Boys, 1950

Wilf Mannion in hospital 1951

Manchester City 1968 League winners-elect

David Webb, Southampton, 1966

That's all for now, folks, but please have a good browse. For just the 731 newcomers, make sure you select "NEW" in the Tags field.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:18 pm 
Post subject:

Hi All

Another site update today, 563 "new" photos, so stock now stands at 8,838 press photos on sale.

It's a labour of love. I can't explain it in any other way. I just enjoy looking at and handling press photos. Indeed I enjoy handling old programmes too, as the "This Day" daily programme thread shows. It's a paper thing, with me. I can't be doing with shirts, badges etc.

One or two examples here for you to gaze at

Fulham 1974 with milky mascot

Whiteley Bequest 1930/1 - I'm not sure if that refers to the team itself (a village in West Surrey founded by a millionaire businessman's bequest when he died in 1907) or the cup competition that team has won. Perhaps I'll never know.

Brighton v Bristol City 1988 - and who says there's no such thing as a brilliant photo in the 80's? Garry Nelson missed this opportunity and with it went his chance of a hat-trick.

Great Britain v Europe 1947 - Wilf Mannion scores

That's 4 of the 563. Tune into Pete's Picture Palace and look at the other 559. And they are also all displayed on my Facebook page too.

Cheers all. Is anyone there?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: