Football Programmes Centre

Who ls Mr Aston?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Who ls Mr Aston?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:32 pm 
Post subject: Who ls Mr Aston?

Has anyone got any idea who the Mr Aston named on this postcard is? Nothing at all written on the back. I think the pic might be England around 1890s.Can just about make out a badge on the white shirt. The bloke on the pitch in the suit is the ref. Player with moustache could be Biily Bassett , who played for West Brom. England toured Germany / Austria in 1889, with very low attendances( 500 if that) .Looks like a very sparse crowd at this game Is it a photo from that tour? Could it be German statesman Bismarck in the pic and not a Mr Aston at all? Is the man in the picture a prominent Royal/ politician/ statesman.Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baltimore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:54 pm 
Post subject:

I think you may be meaning Billy Bassett ( not Barrett) if that helps?

I am not sure it’s him.

Cheers, Ian
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:01 pm 

Thanks lan. I’ve changed it. Must be thinking of licorice all sorts lol:
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:06 pm 
Post subject:

Done a lot of Googling and I can't find a Mr Aston in politics in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. Prince Otto von Bismarck died in 1898 aged 83 and I doubt he would have kicked off a football match after 1896 as he was in a wheelchair with a gangrenous foot!

But this Mr Aston is intriguing. I hope something comes to light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:27 pm 

Thanks for having a go Pete. I do think that it might be England around the 1890s because of the way the ref is dressed in his tweed suit with breeches. Some England photos from that period also have the ref on the team shot. Could it also be that great Preston team from that era . But why the Charity game look to it and the sparse crowd? Overseas tour perhaps? I wonder why this Mr Aston warented such a mention on a postcard? If it is England , quite a clear photo from that era.
DySporting

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:05 pm 
Post subject:

The first match of the tour was scheduled for early September, to be played against the English Football League champions, Aston Villa, in Birmingham. Joseph Chamberlain, the British secretary of state for the colonies at the time, who was a resident of the city, was to ‘kick-off’ the match.

This was a South African touring side in 1899 - could it be a mix up with ‘Mr Aston’ kicking off

Long shot as that isn’t an Aston Villa kit - but all I could find about a political kick off
martino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:32 pm 
Post subject:

An F. J. Aston is mentioned in the A.F.S. "Men Famous in Football" publications of 1903 and 1905.

He was Secretary of Stourbridge.

Also a couple of players mentioned:

Aston, no first name, a back, previous clubs Aston Villa / QPR.
Aston, James, inside-right, of Doncaster Rovers. Previously at Small Heath.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:34 pm 

Thanks Dy, is it Villa in a change kit?. The prosperous looking man in the top hat and overcoat doesn’t look like Joseph Chamberline though.He looked a bit like that Rees Mogg bloke . The players shown in the photo definately have a professional , sharp look to them. I think they have to be from a top team, even though it looks like a charity match.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:49 pm 

Martino, did F J Aston of Stourbridge have political ambitions? Could well be him. It’s a puzzle!.
martino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:59 pm 
Post subject:

I have no idea who F J Aston was. I just found his name in the books. To get a mention he was obviously a leading Administrator in Soccer at that time.

Are you certain that there is a connection with politics?

My dictionary defines "politic" as artful or shrewd, crafty, cunning, wise or prudent.

"Political" is more specific towards Government or the State or Public Administration.

You would need to find out how such words were used at the time.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:19 pm 

You could well be right Martino. It could be nothing to do with politics as we know it. If he was prominent in the game, perhaps Mr Aston had F.A. ambitions, or ambitions with the newly formed Football League? Will keep checking.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:45 pm 

An update on this one. It looks like the team could be Leicester Fosse FC, pre 1891 before they moved to Filbert Street. Before that date , they played their games in a local park, which fits with the crowd on the postcard. Checked the players in the postcard against a photo of Leicester Fosse. 1892 . Same kit and the two players shown on the postcard have similarities with two of the Leicester team. Only one player in the Leicester team has a badge on his jersey, which fits with the postcard shot. Still haven’t a clue who Mr Aston is though!
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:42 pm 
Post subject:

Possibly WG Aston 1841-1911 A British diplomat.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 pm 

Thanks Eck, will check him out. If it is Leicester Fosse, l think the man in the picture is connected with the club. I might contact the Leicester historian to try and confirm it.
An Essex Hatter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 am 
Post subject:

Just to say there is an extensive local history archive at the University of Leicester. Their website has a contact us link maybe email them a copy of the picture. Brian Owen who runs thestrawplaiters website got a load of interesting stuff there during a visit.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am 

An Essex Hatter, great idea , will try them. I still think it is Leicester Fosse and the player in the centre with a badge on his jersey is Ernest Nuttall . He was the captain of the team, even though he was an amateur and still a student at Leicester Uni.His story is really tragic, losing his life at a relatively early age after catching TB in the First World War. Apparently he was in his late forties when he volunteered and was sent to Siberia . He was a qualified solicitor, but insisted on remaining a private in the army.The things you find out when you are are just trying to put names to a photo!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: