Football Programmes Centre

Oldest Known Football Programme to exist ?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oldest Known Football Programme to exist ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sellsell39

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:20 pm 
Post subject: Oldest Known Football Programme to exist ?

Hi.

What is the oldest known football programme that still exists today ?

Just wondering thats all.

Many Thanks & Regards.
Kvaratschelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm 
Post subject:

Here are a couple of contenders:

England v Scotland 1873: http://www.scottishsporthistory.com/england-v-scotland-1873.html It is a match card which has been overprinted with the result, so the purist might argue that it was done after the game (like some cricket scorecards).

Yale v Eton 1873: http://www.scottishsporthistor.....me-in-1873 Eleven a side, but probably not played to association rules.

Match cards were widely printed through the 1870s, although of course not many survive. The famous Queen's Park v Wanderers card of 1875 was probably lost in the Hampden fire of 1945, along with others. The Wales v Scotland card from 1876 is in a museum.
mustard68

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:42 pm 
Post subject: oldest programme

I confess I hadn't heard of the Hampden fire of 1945 but I suspect there`s a few Queens Park v Wanderers 1875 match cards still out there. I`ve got one & put a picture of it on my site 10footballs.com
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 pm 
Post subject:

Nice website mustard!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:00 pm 
Post subject: Oldest Known League Club's Match Card/Programmes

All very nice too, but what interests me is to know what are the earliest programmes that have managed to survive pre-1900 from actual football clubs.

Yes there was a spate of Walsall Town Swifts 20 odd years ago when they turned up and from time to time there has been the odd Sheffield United Bound Volume, so it would be interesting to know what else there is and from which clubs.

This is not asking a question of "who owns them" more of a question of what "actually has survived", so if anyone is aware of any particular clubs or have seen images in books or know some do exist maybe a list could be drawn up.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
beaudog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:15 pm 
Post subject: Oldest known football programme to exist

I handled a Stoke City match programme from the first season of the football league against Notts County, so the two oldest clubs in the football league. It was a single sheet and not in the best condition. It went to auction and with add ons it was bought by a local man for £40,000. Also a bound volume of Stoke City programmes from just after the first world war surfaced and were offered to the club. They were not interested in acquiring them. Shame, as I think clubs should make an effort to preserve and show their history.
beaudog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:08 pm 
Post subject: Oldest known football programme to exist

Sorry, the price of £40000 was for Sir Stan's boots, reputedly from the 1953 final. The same person bought the Stoke City programme for just over £8 and a half thousand. Eye watering amounts.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:35 pm 
Post subject: Oldest known Football Programme to exist?

Everton were offered Dixie Dean’s full collection of medals in the 1980s. The club didn’t take this golden opportunity. They ended up going to auction and are now scattered far and wide. They should really have stayed at the club. The present people in charge at Goodison seem very fan/ community/ former player friendly . You only have to have appeared for Everton once, and the club can be approached if financial help is needed for things like medical bills. Clearly the present owners would have taken Dixie’s memorabilia with little fuss. Didn’t Everton purchase that great David France collection of Everton gems a few years back? It seems to all depend on what period in the club’s history that these rare items are offered and who is in charge at the time.
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

There's a couple of early Sheffield United bound volumes (1900-01 & 1901-02) for sale on the Mullocks Auction later this week.
garyspain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:49 pm 
Post subject:

I'm sure people can fill in on the oldest known for their clubs. I am aware from a Liverpool collector here in Ireland that a bound volume from 1892/93 was broken up and sold by Sports Programmes (IIRC) back in the 1990's.

This is a thread in the Irish section on the earliest known Irish issues and no new info that I am aware of has come to light.
seand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:38 pm 
Post subject:

Keith Stanton had images of most of the 1892-93 Liverpool programmes in the Liverpool Programme Collectors Club newsletter/magazine back in the days when I was a member- late 90s maybe. Started with LFC's first ever game, a friendly v Rotherham
mustard68

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:35 pm 
Post subject: oldest known

I`m guessing one of those ex bound volume Liverpool 1892/93 is the one on my site.
I`m sure Tony Pulis would have been an ideal manager for Ironopolis!
colchestersid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:20 pm 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:
I'm sure people can fill in on the oldest known for their clubs. I am aware from a Liverpool collector here in Ireland that a bound volume from 1892/93 was broken up and sold by Sports Programmes (IIRC) back in the 1990's.

This is a thread in the Irish section on the earliest known Irish issues and no new info that I am aware of has come to light.

I think that was Peter Riches who had that bound volume - whatever happened to him? (rhetorical question - I have a long memory!)
PaulRStoke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:49 pm 
Post subject: Re: Oldest known football programme to exist

beaudog wrote:
I handled a Stoke City match programme from the first season of the football league against Notts County, so the two oldest clubs in the football league. It was a single sheet and not in the best condition. It went to auction and with add ons it was bought by a local man for £40,000. Also a bound volume of Stoke City programmes from just after the first world war surfaced and were offered to the club. They were not interested in acquiring them. Shame, as I think clubs should make an effort to preserve and show their history.

Bob, there is a bound volume of Stoke FC from 1911/12, which the club rejected. It has 33 home programmes in it. It is in safe hands now Wink

Paul
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:16 pm 

PaulRStoke wrote:
beaudog wrote:

Bob, there is a bound volume of Stoke FC from 1911/12, which the club rejected. It has 33 home programmes in it. It is in safe hands now Wink

Paul

Phew Paul!

I just checked and United never played em that season, saved me having to hire that hit man again!! Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:18 pm 

PaulRStoke wrote:
beaudog wrote:

Paul

Phew Paul!

I just checked and United never played em that season, saved me having to hire that hit man again!! Laughing

TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:22 pm 
Post subject:

Judging by the extent of your tremendous Flickr site, Leslie, I'm now imagining you already have that hitman on speed-dial and tied down to a long, exclusive contract! Wink
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:27 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
Judging by the extent of your tremendous Flickr site, Leslie, I'm now imagining you already have that hitman on speed-dial and tied down to a long, exclusive contract! Wink

Laughing Laughing still 10,000 images still to upload from the 1880's and the stuff and the bodies are piling up!, I meant to call the dogs off but when there is something of interest the RED mists descend! Take Care Matt ur probably still around because we reached a deal Nod Wave

TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:45 pm 
Post subject:

Grateful for small mercies, eh? At least that shows people shouldn't bin all their pre-WW1 Man Utd homes for fear of two bullets in the back of the head Wink
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:59 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
Grateful for small mercies, eh? At least that shows people shouldn't bin all their pre-WW1 Man Utd homes for fear of two bullets in the back of the head Wink

Hey we are in Austere times, one is good enough Laughing

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: