Football Programmes Centre

Wartime press photos
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wartime press photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:31 pm 
Post subject: Wartime press photos

I don't get many war-time photos so this week two have come along and I thought I'd share them with you as they are rather nice.

Firstly, it's December 1944 and a British Army XI has travelled to Tilburg, Holland following the town's liberation. Among the British team were Corporal Leslie Compton (Arsenal), Corporal F. Foster (Pompey), Sgt Whiter (Distilleries), Private D Maitland (Bournemouth), Private W Bell (Kilmarnock - keeper), Sgt Major McCulloch (Third Lanark), Corporal J Ward (Derby), Corporal Shadwell (Man City) and Sgt V Barley (West Ham). The photo shows skipper, Company Sergeant Major Johnston (Partick Thistle) leading his team out. The British Army won the game 5-4 in front of a large crowd.

The second one has no details on the back other than the stamp so I am indebted to a friend who has identified the match and some of the players. It's England v Scotland in October 1941. The action shows Don Welsh (Charlton) and Wilf Mannion (Boro) attempting to beat some Scottish defenders to a cross. From right those defenders could be Jimmy Dykes (Hearts), Bill Shankly (Preston) and Malcolm McDonald (Celtic). The bloke furthest left - I really don't know who that is. Result was 2-0 to England and gate was 65,000.

As I said, war-time photos are rare and the top one is sold already. Let me know if the second one is of interest, please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:50 am 
Post subject:

Second photo now sold.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: