Football Programmes Centre

Stacey's Auction Today 1977 FA Cup Final Medal hits £23,400
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stacey's Auction Today 1977 FA Cup Final Medal hits £23,400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:35 pm 
Post subject: Stacey's Auction Today 1977 FA Cup Final Medal hits £23,400

Whilst there was nothing to mention this auction with 1173 lots that is still going on as I write, the highlight in terms of the highest prices went collectively for Sammy McIlroy's 1977 FA Cup winners medal for £19,500, his 1976 & 1979 I prefer to say "Losers" medal as against "Runners Up" for £4600 & £4400 respectively, plus around a further 20% on top. As well as a Gold Medal presented to each of the United players by the then Shah of Iran that played in the Iran "B" v MU game 1977, which went for £800 + 20%.

Lastly, I was not the bidder on ANY of the above 4 items

Nod

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
NWM Football

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:06 am 
Post subject:

That is one of my real bugbears ! It's a runners-up medal !!!

Firstly, it says "runners-up".

Secondly, it's disrespectful to the players who got there to call it a, no, I'm not even going to refer to it as anything other than a runners-up medal. To me, it undermines the achievement of getting to a Final

Thirdly, for some players (and clubs), it will be the pinnacle of their careers. I'm sure the players who appeared in finals for clubs like Fulham, Brighton, Watford etc, occasionally look at their runners-up medal with pride and fond memories.
Visit http://nwmfootball.com/ for programmes, books, DVDs, shirts & sportswear and other football collectables. Click here http://nwmfootball.com/nwm-diary/ to see which Programme Fairs and Antiques & Collectors' Fairs we will be attending.
bluejames

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 am 
Post subject:

There were some eye watering prices.I had a slight interest in some of the lesser items but never got anything which was probably as well with Christmas not far off.The Manchester United items seemed to all go through the roof and some tickets seem to have gone well over.
Does anybody know who bought the medals?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:55 am 
Post subject:

bluejames wrote:
There were some eye watering prices.I had a slight interest in some of the lesser items but never got anything which was probably as well with Christmas not far off.The Manchester United items seemed to all go through the roof and some tickets seem to have gone well over.
Does anybody know who bought the medals?

No and if i did i would not be divulging it for sure!
Laughing Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: