Football Programmes Centre

Sportingold
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sportingold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rafehod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:22 pm 
Post subject: Sportingold

Hi

Is it me, or do people go a bit crazy at Sportingold. By crazy I mean bidding a fair bit over the odds for collections of 1940s 50s progs in fair to generally good condition. I had a number of lots I had interest in but not at those prices, certainly no profit margin at all if you were reselling.

Maybe its a sale that collectors target more so than dealers, which is fair enough as they get good quality items but even so some of the prices for single progs were going £20-£30 more than recent ebay sales....and in worse condition and also they have commission to pay on top of that also!!

I dont get it??.......at all, but know what to do going forward.
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:14 pm 
Post subject: sportingold

Chris gets really good prices compared to what they'd achieve on Ebay, so when I eventually sell my collection I'll be selling them in a Sportingold auction Smile
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:29 pm 
Post subject: Re: sportingold

TheSorter! wrote:
Chris gets really good prices compared to what they'd achieve on Ebay, so when I eventually sell my collection I'll be selling them in a Sportingold auction Smile

That appears to be the case, but I think Rafehod would like to know why and maybe even how?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Rafehod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:56 pm 
Post subject:

Its not the fact that Sportingold get good prices, I know that and have sold with them in the past for items I consider too good for Ebay as it were.

Its what people are paying for average condition 40s & 50s programmes, that surprises me.

A good example was the Liverpool bundle of 17 programmes Lot 186 £110....whoa you would struggle with that if you were trying to make a profit reselling.

the next lot 187 13 progs from 53/54 all with writing on the front and not an awful lot else going for them for £70......seriously?

with commission on both lots you are going nowhere. not to worry....
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm 
Post subject:

There were a couple of lots that I had my eye on but I thought their estimates were way too high. They didn't sell.

What happens in these circumstances, can you contact Chris to see if a deal can be done?
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:07 pm 
Post subject:

It can't always be about "reselling for a profit".
Some of us are just collectors and are prepared to pay for those special items to fill gaps in our collections.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:35 pm 
Post subject:

From a collectors point of view some of the prices realised in today’s auction were very high. Remember there are also add ons of 20% to the buyer.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
There were a couple of lots that I had my eye on but I thought their estimates were way too high. They didn't sell.

What happens in these circumstances, can you contact Chris to see if a deal can be done?

If they didn't sell you can usually go for them at the price they were before not selling, ie 20% below estimate. Still need to pay commission etc though.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:53 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:

If they didn't sell you can usually go for them at the price they were before not selling, ie 20% below estimate. Still need to pay commission etc though.

Thanks John, probably still not worth it in that case.
martino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:11 pm 
Post subject: Re: Sportingold

Rafehod wrote:
Hi

progs in fair to generally good condition. I had a number of lots I had interest in but not at those prices, certainly no profit margin at all if you were reselling.

I have sold a load of lots with Chris over the years. In the early days I was a bit dismayed by his description of "fair to generally good" when I considered them to be very good condition. Chris does understate the condition imho.

So anyone who knows this or views on site will probably see that the actual condition is better than expected which is why the sale prices hold up. I had some lots in today's auction, many of which were described as "fair to generally good" and, notwithstanding that, the sale prices were very good.

Happy seller, happy buyer.
Rafehod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:01 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Martino

I bought a lot at the last sale a few weeks ago in what was described as fair to generally good, when I got them believe me they were 'fair to generally good' mostly on the fair side.

I know what you mean though about his descriptions as in the past I noticed that you always got a bit better than expected, not the case nowadays, I think some sharp vendors have noticed this and enter a lot of average stuff with them as they are taking advantage of the goodwill that has been previously built up by this auction.

Buyers will soon notice this as I am pretty sure there will be a lot more disappointment on the opening of the packages, than in previous years.

That being said, they are the go to company for selling your good stuff, good rates and you have to hand it to them, they get the prices and people seem to fall over themselves to get their lots.

Its a funny old game this one
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: