Football Programmes Centre

Leyton Orient v Preston 1965 - press photo
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Leyton Orient v Preston 1965 - press photo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:07 pm 
Post subject: Leyton Orient v Preston 1965 - press photo

This is more interesting than it sounds.

It shows Howard Kendall playing for Preston in September 1965, but the actual photo was printed 2 years later by which time he was at Everton and had been selected for the Football League to play the Belgian League in Brussels.

More than that, the opposition flummoxed me for a dew days until I could investigate PNE's fixtures and get HFK opened. In all my years doing this I'd never seen Leyton Orient in a sashed shirt before, and HFK revealed they wore blue with a white sash during the first half of the 65/6 season. You learn something every day! So it's O's v PNE on 4th Sept 1965, and it was a 2-2 draw.

Anyway, I thought this might be interesting to shirt fetishists and also Orient fans who might be, like me, unaware of this brief flirtation with the sash.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Newportonian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:45 pm 
Post subject:

This was the very first Football League match that I went to.
Was on holiday in London with my parents staying at friends in Leyton. He was a big Leyton Orient fan and took me to the game.

Although I have the programme...somewhere...I cannot remember anything about it except that we stood opposite the players tunnel around the halfway line and the final score was 2-2.
1881Orient

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 pm 
Post subject:

Hiya Pete,

We only played with the sash for about 6/7 months - the directors were after something "different".

The game was also marked the debut for Orient's youngest ever player, Paul Went, aged 15!!

Thanks for sharing, Pete.

Davis
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: