Football Programmes Centre

Team Sheets the new Programme
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Team Sheets the new Programme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Forest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:26 am 
Post subject: Team Sheets the new Programme

Recently I acquired a Team Sheet for a game I did not attend. Since then I also found the official programme from the same game. I actually prefer the Team Sheet.

The Team Sheet was A4 with just the line-ups and on the back a large advertisement for the printer. That could easily have been the fixtures and league table (this was a cup game).

I m sure I would not miss what the home Centre Forward liked to have for his tea. Or umpteen photographs of last weeks dismal game. And in time I might get over not seeing adverts for the local Chinese take-away.

I would champion the clubs who decide to revert to the pre-war A4 folded sheet showing, as near as dam it, the actual players who might be playing.
fishponder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:27 pm 
Post subject:

We are all entitled to our opinions on this. Personally I disagree. I'm not a fan of team sheets, not to mention they are very easily duplicated and put on ebay as originals. If only a team sheet is produced for a game, I don't purchase one, and mark it in my book as "no programme produced".
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm 
Post subject:

I think teamsheets compliment the programme in a collection, but they shouldn’t replace it.

Logistically, teamsheets can only be produced in small numbers so they can never properly replace programmes. A folded A4 “teamsheet/programme” is produced by a few non-league clubs in Scotland, but they only need to copy 50 of them, imagine having to print 2,500 of them and distribute an hour before KO. Not going to happen.
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:55 pm 
Post subject: team sheets

I don't see the point of a full programme these days. You can get plenty of information on the visiting club online these days such as player info, directions to grounds, fixture lists etc. I've been collecting programmes for over 40 years but I rarely buy one when I go to a match these days. All you really need to know when you're at the game is who's playing!
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:06 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
I think teamsheets compliment the programme in a collection, but they shouldn’t replace it.

Amen, to that Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
New Forest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:33 pm 
Post subject:

There is a difference of opinion, which is good. However, it shows the colossal gap between what sides some of us support and those that others do. Tynie talks of distributing 2500 an hour before kick-off. For my team 2500 would cover the whole season, and we would some left over. Some clubs in the Essex Senior League already produce A4 folded programmes and poorly printed.

Team Sheets can be reproduced and put on eBay, but you don't have to buy them. I really have no past experience of Team Sheets, I would not have thought they would be changing hands for more than 99p. If they do I should like to know.

Leyton/Waltham Forest/Walthamstow do produce a decent programme with no adverts. There are a few Team Sheets knocking around and I can tell you at our level any programme printed on the Friday bear little resemblance to the team that trots out.

In the sixties programmes usually could be relied upon to show who would and did play. Not these days.
New Forest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:40 pm 
Post subject:

There is a difference of opinion, which is good. However, it shows the colossal gap between what sides some of us support and those that others do. Tynie talks of distributing 2500 an hour before kick-off. For my team 2500 would cover the whole season, and we would some left over. Some clubs in the Essex Senior League already produce A4 folded programmes and poorly printed.

Team Sheets can be reproduced and put on eBay, but you don't have to buy them. I really have no past experience of Team Sheets, I would not have thought they would be changing hands for more than 99p. If they do I should like to know.

Leyton/Waltham Forest/Walthamstow do produce a decent programme with no adverts. There are a few Team Sheets knocking around and I can tell you at our level any programme printed on the Friday bear little resemblance to the team that trots out.

In the sixties programmes usually could be relied upon to show who would and did play. Not these days.
fishponder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 pm 
Post subject:

Agree with a lot you are saying, just don't like team sheets. I'm not a fan of the modern programme either. Prefer the late 60's/early 70's type programme that a lot of clubs used, especially in London (Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, etc).
How I wish programmes were now like that, A5 size or smaller, 16-24 pages, very few ads, costing maybe £1 - £1.50. Than maybe younger people would catch the collecting bug.
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:09 pm 
Post subject: team

That's the perfect answer fishponder going forward! Thumbs Up
cardiff55

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:13 pm 
Post subject:

This season, yet again, Cardiff's is a disappointing effort costing £3. It has virtually nothing of interest in it apart from the fixtures and statistics. 4 pages in large print on one of our players opinions on everything, adverts and general crap.

I was given copy of Newport's last issue too and that's just as bad. Some years ago Newport County's issue was a good read , with lots of historical date but they've changed editor.

Editors! What do they do these days apart from arrange the adverts? There is more clamour at Cardiff for the Teamsheets than the programmes.

But I do hate the modern day single sheet reserve game type issue. I have seen loads of copies of Cardiff stuff on eBay for games I know nothing was issued for. A lot of Under 15, 16 and 18 programmes for which Cardiff do not produce.

The old glossy printed 4 pagers were OK though.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:01 pm 
Post subject:

New Forest wrote:

I did point out that a few Scottish non-league do indeed produce a glorified teamsheet based on the actual line-ups an hour before KO, but if you want to expand that to all clubs then practicalities make it impossible and I pointed out why.

Apologies, you didn't make it clear what level of clubs you were referring to in your original post.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: