Football Programmes Centre

Is there a New Generation of younger Collectors?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is there a New Generation of younger Collectors?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DefunctClubs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:28 pm 
Post subject: Is there a New Generation of younger Collectors?

Having a chat last night with a fellow colletor and was wondering how old everyone on here is and if there is any new younger collectors?

Im 45 and have been collecting since i was 15!

Would be good to know if anyone else can shed any light.

My kids have zero interest in my old bits of paper so im actually considering parting ways with most of my collection as it seems to me there won't be any interest in them when im 6 foot under?

Any Thoughts?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:45 pm 
Post subject: Re: Is there a New Generation of younger Collectors?

DefunctClubs wrote:
Having a chat last night with a fellow colletor and was wondering how old everyone on here is and if there is any new younger collectors?

Im 45 and have been collecting since i was 15!

Would be good to know if anyone else can shed any light.

My kids have zero interest in my old bits of paper so im actually considering parting ways with most of my collection as it seems to me there won't be any interest in them when im 6 foot under?

Any Thoughts?

In effect I think it is a resounding No!.

I just sent you a PM

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:00 pm 
Post subject:

Not in my house! I have two girls and both have little or no interest in dads collection. To be fair my eldest understands that there maybe some value in the Collection but purely views it as a possible nest egg! As for me I enjoy the collecting and when the time is right I will either leave some of the items to the Club (if they want them!) or sell at Auction. The Auction listing will start with the title "From a Hampshire Gentlemen's Collection"...... Very Happy
DefunctClubs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:17 pm 
Post subject: Inheritance

My thoughts are that my collection would be a bit of inheritance when i pop my clogs(assuming a get to a decent age Very Happy.
My thinking is that it may well be worthless at that point, if there is no demand.
Seriously considering offloading some while there is still a market for them.
Rafehod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:18 pm 
Post subject:

I think 'most' people who inherit a collection of programmes, due to an estate or similar, only get interested in the contents when they see dollar signs. You see it all the time on Ebay/Facebook etc for example a lady in nottingham has recently listed 2000 forest progs from the 60s onwards (and by the way not many 60s) and was asking a grand for them. I got in touch just too let her know what she should realistically be looking at if someone gave her an offer and she could not believe it and just thought I was swindling her. I did start by saying I have no interest but was just trying to help. Needless to say she still has them

Most offspring will nod and say thats great etc to be polite if you try to engage them, then leave the room to check their social media account for the next 2 hours.

Just the way it is..... a handful may take it over and continue it but I think the majority wont have interest. Having said that I still believe there are plenty of collectors out there, its just not something you can easily pass the interest onto someone. in effect you are either into it or you're not.

I think the good programmes will always keep their value, may fluctuate a bit but in effect they are what they are because they are rare however the fodder will start fires in a few years.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:38 pm 
Post subject:

I'm 44, been collecting all my life. Always buy a programme every game I go to, and have a modest collection of older stuff back to the 1920's, and a few older than that.

My wife and son have about 5 minutes interest in the programme, and none after the day of the game.

I also have a large collection of random old stuff relating to my club, postcards, medals, yearbooks, shirts (many match worn and signed), cigarette and trade cards and a huge collection of badges

They know I constantly spend a lot on this stuff, so I would sincerely hope that if I go before they do, that they try to realise the full value of it. Or if not, find a loving home for it.

With my cards in particular, everything is labelled as to what it is, the collection or set, what year, the issuer, and if it is rare or very rare it is marked as such. Just so that someone dealing with it knows what is actually worth more than a quid (and it's only a small minority of stuff that isn't run of the mill common stuff to be honest)

What I am seeing these days, being well connected to other collectors, is people either getting rid of collections (mainly programmes) or trying to sell them, and in the main, they cannot give the stuff away. People go back saying 'have you got this one or that one' for the few rarities they are after, but in the main they don't want the sheer bulk of common stuff even if they haven't got it all themselves. They don't want the hassle of taking and storing it even when its free.
DefunctClubs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 pm 
Post subject: Agreed

Yes i agree,im similar as i don't really have much run of the mile items so to speak.
I to have labels with what i paid and approx current value with a date.
Im just wondering if say a programme thats cost/worth a few hundred now, will be worth peanuts then.
Is it time to sell up?! l Sad
The problem i have as will be the same with most of us, is i love collecting.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 pm 
Post subject:

I revisit a tiny fraction of my collection - my favourite items, but 99% of my hoard is just stored away and never really looked at

But for some reason, I still get a good feeling of I don't know what - calm, satisfaction, contentment from just knowing I have all this stuff, and that makes me happy

I'm a collector through and through and am always looking for the next thing or the thing I know I'm missing!

I love seeing other collections, museums etc. I love to see the thoroughness and completeness of a collection, whatever it is! I love the order and the care taken in curating the items!
DefunctClubs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 pm 
Post subject:

Yes mines the same,all mostly stored and doesn't see the light of day!
My Mrs and Kids don't understand,they take no interest whatsoever and think im mad Very Happy
I know what you mean,the feeling is hard to explain,most of my collection is from long gone clubs and they fascinate me.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:58 pm 
Post subject:

Of course, the answer to having the collection stored and never seeing it very much is to start a Flickr account and store images of it so it is accessible at the press of a button.
TartanTyneArmy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:04 pm 
Post subject:

I’m 27
Rarely meet anyone of my generation with an interest in buying a programme when at the match. As for collecting, I doubt it.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/142569771@N06/P4X739
New Forest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

I am the wrong side of seventy. It was m parents fault by taking me to a match as a babe in arms. I have just had to carry on. I use my collection of Leyton FC almost daily. Contributing to the programme as club historian.

I have two grandsons aged 6 and 8 and both keen on football. Last Saturday we took them both to see Bristol City, it was the youngest first big game. So I am working on them.

I have noticed the trend to ask for Team Sheets rather than programmes. I am guessing that collectors like something more manageable rather than a programme half the weight on a Sunday Supplement. You can fit an awful lot of information on to A4 page folded and it suited us in the fifties.
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:38 pm 
Post subject:

Rafehod wrote:
I think 'most' people who inherit a collection of programmes, due to an estate or similar, only get interested in the contents when they see dollar signs. You see it all the time on Ebay/Facebook etc for example a lady in nottingham has recently listed 2000 forest progs from the 60s onwards (and by the way not many 60s) and was asking a grand for them. I got in touch just too let her know what she should realistically be looking at if someone gave her an offer and she could not believe it and just thought I was swindling her. I did start by saying I have no interest but was just trying to help. Needless to say she still has them

Most offspring will nod and say thats great etc to be polite if you try to engage them, then leave the room to check their social media account for the next 2 hours.

Just the way it is..... a handful may take it over and continue it but I think the majority wont have interest. Having said that I still believe there are plenty of collectors out there, its just not something you can easily pass the interest onto someone. in effect you are either into it or you're not.

I think the good programmes will always keep their value, may fluctuate a bit but in effect they are what they are because they are rare however the fodder will start fires in a few years.

Lady in question with the Forest programmes now has them listed for £400 but still no takers at the moment
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:59 pm 
Post subject:

I sold my programme collection 10 years ago and have never regretted it. I sold it just before the financial crash and did okay out of it.

As I run the Programme and Memorabilia Hut at Auchinleck Talbot I am constantly surrounded by all kinds of memorabilia, and I can access it whenever needed. Suits my needs.

I do collect anything and everything to do with Auchinleck Talbot though, although I only now collect Scottish Cup programmes and Junior Cup programmes from seasons when we reach the final (15 times in all) Bar 1949 where I doubt there were any programmes issued before both semi finals and the final, I have every other programme from these campaigns.

Letter's rosettes, photos, tickets, badges (which I commission for the club) handbooks, ATFC matchday pennants (40 with specific match details on them) newspapers and just about everything else makes up a nice but manageable archive. The club will get the archive in full one day, either before I pop my clogs or after. If I do it beforehand I can advise on it's sale so the club benefit financially. They will also get my considerable football library which consists mainly of club histories, and any other memorabilia I have.
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:53 pm 
Post subject:

TartanTyneArmy wrote:
I’m 27
Rarely meet anyone of my generation with an interest in buying a programme when at the match. As for collecting, I doubt it.

I thought I may sneak the youngest at 32.

I am a collector but that is completely because of my father, who was a full time dealer and now does it as a hobby again following retirement. I would never want him to sell his collection and would acquire one day. He keeps the programmes from the games, I collect the tickets and together we have a fine collection.

I see it from both sides as I also deal predominantly in tickets and teamsheets and a few other items. I see it as a hobby and something I enjoy to do, purchasing in items and looking for value to sell on. Helps to generate extra income alongside the day job.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:49 am 
Post subject:

This is a topic which has been discussed extensively on here under various guises.

A good point was made a while back, cigarette cards still have a following despite the fact they effectively ceased being produced before WWII. Programmes are still being produced and will continue to do so for a long while yet and therefore the hobby will continue to be healthy particularly as many collectors now also seek out tickets and teamsheets to compliment the programme.

Perhaps the dynamics will change with people coming into it at a latter age than used to be the case. I started at 12 years old, maybe these days most new collectors are in the 30’s or thereabouts.

I don’t have anyone to pass it onto when I pop my clogs, so it will be sold down the line to supplement my pension or a cruise with the wife! I’ll enjoy having the collection, and I’ll enjoy recouping (some) of the time, effort and money put into it.
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:57 pm 
Post subject:

I am 38 and have been collecting in various forms since I was about 8 or 9.

My collecting started with random packs of programmes from the Cardiff City Supporters Club shop (20 for £1) and grew from there. I ended up collecting Cardiff City programmes but passed the collection to my father when I stopped attending games.

I now collect European finals, Welsh Finals and general Welsh League as well as anything Cardiff Met related.

I'm currently trying to obtain one programme per club from across Wales but need to thin out my collection as much of it has been bought in bulk with duplicate clubs and programmes.

I personally think, like vinyl records, once programmes are phased out, they may well become cool again and there could be an upsurge in collecting and programme values.
seand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:30 pm 
Post subject:

My older lad (age 9) might just take up the mantle- he's an inveterate collector- Match Attax cards, stickers, and now match tickets, programmes etc. He may well grow out of it when he hits his teens, I guess, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree with this one Very Happy He now scours the ground at matches for spare tickets, specially at Dundalk home games when we're there on season tickets, God bless 'im!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:37 pm 
Post subject:

seand wrote:
He now scours the ground at matches for spare tickets, specially at Dundalk home games when we're there on season tickets, God bless 'im!

My wife has received specific training in teamsheet hunting at Scotland games, she has a high percentage of success from Serbia to Spain Laughing
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:55 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
seand wrote:
He now scours the ground at matches for spare tickets, specially at Dundalk home games when we're there on season tickets, God bless 'im!

My wife has received specific training in teamsheet hunting at Scotland games, she has a high percentage of success from Serbia to Spain Laughing

My Dad and I have to search the stands at half and full-time for abandoned match tickets at home games since we have membership cards. I think we've only failed to find a ticket once in many years.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: