Football Programmes Centre

2018-19 Premier & Championship Matchbadge Thread
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2018-19 Premier & Championship Matchbadge Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickmackop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

Hi - the main reason for liverpool not doing the same official badge that the shop sold in red colour way and the sellers selling four colour ways
is that the club did not want to sell the badges any more and it would
cost the seller to much to do it him self due to copy right that's why his gone back to basic. That's what he told me and i have been buying of him for years.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:25 am 
Post subject:

Thanks Wickett and MickMacMop - very informative

A Sunderland badge seller went to prison a few years ago for repeated offences, and at Chelsea, trading standards are so hot on copyright infringement, that the stalls only sell match scarves with CH3L5E4 on them (the tourists still buy them!!) however they don't sell badges any more because when they are that affected as to what they can do, the sales don't justify them doing them which I understand and respect

I will buy pretty much anything badgewise that is on sale on the day of the game, official or otherwise.

A designer with talent and flair (see Stoke badge at top of thread) can still produce something very attractive and well designed even without breaching copyrights of crests etc

Fully appreciate the vendors predicament, and at least something is better than nothing.

The guy who did West Ham badges for many years paid West Ham themselves quite a large sum to use their copyright for 3 years, when you have that clubs copyright, then it was felt that you could then use the opponents crest as they are the competitor in the home teams 'event' if you like. It is no different to putting the visiting clubs logo opposite yours on the front of a programme or DVD case, or in an article in a club magazine

Hey ho, onwards and upwards. Off to Swansea tonight for the Carabao cup, not expecting a badge at all, and think the crowd wil be 6 or 7 thousand even with very cheap tickets, but hope to be wrong
FY7Reds

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:51 pm 
Post subject:

The set of four and another set of three from Anfield.

Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

Derby

Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:58 pm 
Post subject:

Glad the big ones are still being done in the set of four.
I'm guessing that the Everton ones (ie set of 4) are the same style?
FY7Reds

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:27 pm 
Post subject:

Everton set of four

Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

Those Everton ones are the usual stunning loveliness.

Which makes the Liverpool design all the weirder because the same bloke in his van sells me the 'set of 4' for both clubs.

Oh well, vive la difference, and thanks for sharing!

Good to see there is still interest in match badges amongst collectors. Love
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:06 pm 
Post subject: Re: Liverpool Badge

wickett180 wrote:

….. Man United have clamped down on other clubs using their badge on merchandise (Intellectual Property).... Now that United have done this several other clubs have followed suite hence the awful badge we're left with.

Certainly seems to be the case Sad

Below is the OFFICIAL match badge from Newcastle, which they give out to box holders and corporate guests.

In case you were wondering, the visiting team is Chelsea. Sad state of affairs when even official club merch looks as hooky as the worst street vendor stuff
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:15 pm 
Post subject:

Can't fault the detail on the Everton ones, top notch

Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:15 pm 
Post subject:

wickett180

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:13 pm 
Post subject:

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Everton play Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool at home.... will they use their logos?

There is one vendor down behind the Kop that is still selling a badge with both club crests on but i'm sure he will get his collar felt by the club sooner rather than later.

LFC Fanatic - Always interested in Bulk LFC Programme Deals.
wickett180

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 pm 
Post subject:

I've got to ask, what is the deal with having the "set of 4?" It's more or les the same badge four times isn't it?!

I'm not knocking it, I just don't get it lol.

FY7Reds wrote:
Everton set of four

Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:24 am 
Post subject:

Its not massively different to someone saying they've got all three different VIP versions of the Cup Final hardback programme, or both the home and away cover of each Oxford programme this season.

The basic logic behind it is that often someone selling badges had to do a minimum order number when they get them made, often 100. They know they won't sell 100, there isn't that much demand. But the maker is usually willing to do different colourway versions, sometimes 'reversing' the colours, so there is a blue and white version, but also a white and blue one.

Or just the four different versions like with Everton above, which can include a gold coloured metal instead of silver on one of the four.

Collecting badges is about having something decorative, and I guess for many collectors, getting as many badges as you can for your club includes getting all the colourways you can too.

I totally get that for many games, you can't get a badge, for others there is one, then for another game at a big club, there could be three different designs across all the different stalls, and several versions of each. It's a bit of fun to try and get them all is I suppose the best way of explaining it.

That there are 3 different hardbacks for the cup final is a quirk of different VIP sections having their own branded product. Same applies to Arsenal's corporate matchday badges. I don't believe either are produced to exploit collectors, there is probably minimal or zero thought of 'completeist' collectors. But as a collector part of the 'fun' is the hunt for these sort of rarities! Sometimes finding a rare one you need a couple of years later!

A choice sometimes has to be made if a collector thinks a seller is taking the mickey - for example a seller who creates a badge to sell solely on ebay (not even 'at the ground'), and it is in 12 colourways etc. Then you have to balance, are they 'taking advantage' of my collecting obsession?

I don't expect people who don't collect them to really understand, just as I don't completely understand people paying a couple of thousand for a (rare) postponed programme!

Aren't we all strange!
Smile Smile
wickett180

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:18 pm 
Post subject:

I'm not knocking it by the way - I just wanted a little thought behind it.

I collect all sorts of Liverpool stuff so I'm in no position to take the p*** lol.

Dorking wrote:
Its not massively different to someone saying they've got all three different VIP versions of the Cup Final hardback programme, or both the home and away cover of each Oxford programme this season.

The basic logic behind it is that often someone selling badges had to do a minimum order number when they get them made, often 100. They know they won't sell 100, there isn't that much demand. But the maker is usually willing to do different colourway versions.....

Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:54 pm 
Post subject:

In fairness most of the matchbadges on offer at Liverpool over the last 12 yrs or so have been shockingly bad in design, same at ManUtd. So I can see why some club collectors dont bother with them. However, other clubs still thrive due to whats available. When you find 10+ variations of one badge they're on ebay or fb which have also been cherry picked by the fast buck merchants.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

Ultimately the 'design' of the Liverpool and Man Utd badges these days are pretty routine, and often the same season after season

That said, I think the square Everton ones are very nice, they have a bit of 'sparkle' about them.

There are an awful lot of worse match badges, including the plastic insert ones.

And for many clubs there is nothing.

On the positive, it is very easy to get Liverpool and Man Utd match badges on a matchday - numerous stalls and they all sell them.

Much easier than hunting down the Everton or Arsenal corporate ones.

Stoke and Wolves are amongst very few nicely designed badges. Trickyspins at Derby put in a fair bit of effort too, especially for Derby away games.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

Huddersfield

Nothing unofficial. The main club shop is still selling the badges they were selling last season, and had most if not all teams. Cleverly the badges are undated, and it wouldn't surprise me if they stay up again that they might even sell any further leftovers next season too!

Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:22 am 
Post subject:

I know the League Cup is not strictly the Prem or the Championship, but for info there was no sign of the usual badge seller at WBA v Palace last night
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:39 am 
Post subject:

A couple of different corporate issues from Arsenal v Brentford

Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:16 pm 
Post subject:

Pretty sure these aren't made for Spurs prem fixtures

Morer Arsenal corporate stuff

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: