Football Programmes Centre

Can anyone identify this ground.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Can anyone identify this ground.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:23 pm 
Post subject:

The old West Stand at Chelsea
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:36 pm 
Post subject:

No white stanchions in this photo, plus no running track in the Doog one by the look if it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:39 pm 
Post subject:

In the Doog photo, the white stanchion is underneath the upper level and you could stand below it. It can't be this stand, surely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
overlap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:16 pm 
Post subject:

Another pic of the Chelsea West Stand, showing concrete slabbing in bottom tier and interior stanchions.
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:24 pm 
Post subject:

Don't think it is Filbert Street reasons being.

1 - The stand at Leicester down the side of the ground
where people stood / sat the standing part stopped where the seating was and didn't go under the seating part of the ground so basically there were no stanchions under the stand.

2 - The kop end at Leicester there were no white fill in pieces where the seating stops it was an open type structure.

3 - The league cup tie v Peterborough only had 11500 attendance the picture there seems to show a lot more.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:06 pm 
Post subject:

Still looks like Highbury Surprised
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:21 pm 
Post subject:

If it's Highbury, could it be when he was at Villa and that's a Villa change kit?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:25 pm 
Post subject:

Surely if that's a Villa change kit, to avoid a clash with Arsenal, it would be to something other than dark shirts & light sleeves, which they wore already?

Sherlock
JJPROGRAMMES

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:10 pm 
Post subject:

Could well be Highbury...... at a guess.......

Peterborough played Arsenal in the FA Cup in 1965 (The Doog scored!),
Was the match moved by any chance from London Road Peterborough to Highbury to accommodate a large crowd?

(Not sure of Peterborough`s ground capacity at the time).

Sherlock
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:16 pm 
Post subject:

JJPROGRAMMES wrote:
Could well be Highbury...... at a guess.......

Peterborough played Arsenal in the FA Cup in 1965 (The Doog scored!),
Was the match moved by any chance from London Road Peterborough to Highbury to accommodate a large crowd?

(Not sure of Peterborough`s ground capacity at the time).

Sherlock

Not changed F. A. Cup game was played at London Rd 2-1 to Posh 31,000 in attendance.
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:21 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
Still looks like Hi
ghbury Surprised

Still my guess as Highbury, but no record of Posh playing there.
Another podsbility is Swansea played there in a F. A. Cup replay over 30,000 there.
Bluewinner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:04 pm 
Post subject:

Derek Dougan is listed in the Arsenal v Portsmouth programme for 16th November 1957. However, whilst the ground in my opinion is Highbury, the kit is nothing like the Portsmouth one shown in the programme. There is also no photos of the game shown in the next home programme unfortunately.
Also listed for Blackburn at Highbury 11th March 1961, but once again the kit is all wrong.
And lastly for today, listed for Leicester on 1st October 1966, but again the kit is wrong.
So absolutely no help, sorry.
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:50 pm 
Post subject:

My first thought when I saw the low white wall and white pillars was the Dell (assuming top left corner shows hoardings in front of stand, rather than end windows). Don’t think Posh played there in the Dougan years though.
dcfc46

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:29 pm 
Post subject: Can anyone identify this ground

I Thought it might be Eastville Bristol Rovers but it's about 36 years ago last time i went there
Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:36 pm 
Post subject:

Positively, A picture of a Highbury stand which shows light coloured stanchions, a light coloured section between the lower and upper sections with paned windows at the end of the upper section. Could it be…?

Negatively, a press cutting from the Birmingham Daily Post on 19.9.64, (the date of the Arsenal v Posh Football Combination game), shows Dougan had a knee injury which would probably rule him out of playing any game on that date.

This would validate Doog10 mentioning Doog didn’t play in that 64/5 Football Combination game. I’m clutching at straws now, but did they possibly meet in a Football Combination Cup tie that season?

Finally if it’s not Highbury, could it actually be London Road? I’m not sure of the configuration of that ground in the 60’s but they did have a couple of crowds of circa 30k in 64/5.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
goonerboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

Is it a newspaper or magazine picture and is there anything on the back of the picture that could help narrow the date?
RoddyN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:35 pm 
Post subject:

This may be a long shot but I have a hunch that it is a Brighton player in a 4th Round FA Cup tie 2nd Replay v Rotherham at Highbury in the 1959/60 season. The crowd was 31,000+. He looks like he is a left sided player but I have no idea who he is. It does indeed bear a resemblance to Derek Dougan but I do not think it is him.
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:57 am 
Post subject:

Rocky wrote:
Positively, A picture of a Highbury stand which shows light coloured stanchions, a light coloured section between the lower and upper sections with paned windows at the end of the upper section. Could it be…?

Negatively, a press cutting from the Birmingham Daily Post on 19.9.64, (the date of the Arsenal v Posh Football Combination game), shows Dougan had a knee injury which would probably rule him out of playing any game on that date.
Dougan played in the Mansfield game and scored a hat-trick for Posh in a 5-4 home defeat.

This would validate Doog10 mentioning Doog didn’t play in that 64/5 Football Combination game. I’m clutching at straws now, but did they possibly meet in a Football Combination Cup tie that season?

Finally if it’s not Highbury, could it actually be London Road? I’m not sure of the configuration of that ground in the 60’s but they did have a couple of crowds of circa 30k in 64/5.
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:00 am 
Post subject:

The Doog played in the Mansfield game scoring a hat-trick for the Posh in a 4-5 home defeat.
badhand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:18 am 
Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify this ground

dcfc46 wrote:
I Thought it might be Eastville Bristol Rovers but it's about 36 years ago last time i went there

It;s not Eastville. Neither stand was on stanchions and there was a greyhound track around the pitch.

Bristol City was mentioned in an earlier post. They didn't have a stand like that at Ashton Gate, either.

I don't know what ground it is though!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: