Football Programmes Centre

What would you regard as your best or luckiest bargain?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What would you regard as your best or luckiest bargain?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:16 pm 
Post subject: what would you regard

Last year I bought two 1930's Brighton F.A. Cup programmes against Tottenham and Arsenal respectively. I paid a chap who wasn't into football £5 each for them. I sold them on Ebay the week after for a total of £660! Shocked
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:38 pm 
Post subject: What would you regard as your best or luckiest bargain?

martino wrote:
I have had a few nice finds over the years in sporting memorabilia but my biggest is not sport related.
A speculative bid on a large box of ephemera from a motor dealership from the 1930's. I had not viewed it but as no one else wanted it I got it for £10 plus fees.
So the moral is, take a punt as the downside is very small.

Reminded me of a really fluky punt I took about 20 years ago at an auction.
My ex Mother in law was into knitting and I saw a copier box full of patterns. When nobody bid on them, I took them for a couple of quid with the intention of giving them to her.
When I was settling up at the end of the auction, the auctioneers proceeded to bring out about 20 banana boxes, full of patterns. Obviously nobody had read the listing properly, including myself.
I ended up selling them to a wool shop near where I lived for 5p per pattern and cleared well over a grand.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:43 am 
Post subject:

Some 20+ years ago - 4 original Beatles EPs from Thailand for about £60 - these had been released in minute quantities there in 1968/69 to try to stimulate interest in that genre of music.
The labels are quite unique as is each EP sleeve.
I've turned down silly money for these once or twice down the years.

Occasionally I take them out to look at them but these records are not for playing!

Programmes?

Probably picking up the postponed 70/1 home v Forest for a tenner or so. You don't see that one come up very often these days.
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:21 pm 
Post subject:

At auction, I was flicking through a box of Villa 1970's homes. Guide price £20. Whilst flicking through, saw the Villa v Carlisle postponed from 73/74 and so took a punt in the hope that the Villa v Chesterfield 71/72 postponed was in there. It was. Got the box for £25, upscaled quite a few of my 70's (when I used to carry them back to the car as a 6/7 year old!), got both of the postponed ones and a few of the 1970's single sheet reserves. Gave the 2 postponed to my friend for what I'd paid for the lot as I had them both and we look after each other. They'd be the thick edge of £300 otherwise!

Also picked up some framed tickets and silk scarves from the 1970's on eBay for a tenner. Took out the Villa tickets that I needed and then punted out the others on eBay also. In the other tickets were 3 from Queen gigs in the Midlands in the mid 1970's - probably got close to £300 for them and they all ended up over in the USA.

Last edited by Ronsaunders on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeilP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 pm 
Post subject:

Won a big job lot of Hibs programmes for £10 on eBay. When the programmes arrived they were in an even worse condition than they had been described. Folds, tears, writing on them and obviously from a smokers house. Was just about to toss them into the bin when a ticket from the Hibs v Juventus UEFA cup match in 1974 fell out of the programme. I’d never seen that ticket before and haven’t seen one since, it now has pride of place in my collection.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:29 pm 
Post subject:

I guess any time you get something really rare,or even unique in an auction,for a lot less that you bid limit is a good day!
DoncasterRovers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:38 pm 
Post subject:

Won a couple of 1960's Doncaster programmes on eBay for a couple of quid and as the seller lived quite near, I arranged to go and pick them up in person. When I got there, the seller mentioned that they'd just moved into the house and he'd found a box of Rovers programmes in the roof and did I want them all for £20. I looked at the top of the box of about 100 and spotted one I hadn't got, so said I've probably got them all and offered home a tenner which he snapped my hand off for.
After getting them home and checking there was about 20 I hadn't got from the 50's and 60's including a mega rare single sheet of Rovers v Minden Youth, a German touring team, that I and all of the serious Rovers collectors I know, didn't even know existed. Turned down offers of hundreds of pounds there and then and been pestered ever since to sell it. Not a chance !
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:53 am 
Post subject:

It’s a bit of everything covered above, programmes concealed inside other mundane programmes, tickets falling out of programmes that nobody knew was there, finding a few good uns in a box of rubbish.

The thrill for me is never knowing what is just around the corner. I went well over a year without ticking off any of my Scotland wants (which only numbered 14 anyway), now in the last few weeks I’ve ticked off 6 of them. During the same period I managed to pick-up a bundle of 125 hard to find Australian NSL programmes from a chap in Somerset who used to live out there, I could really have done without the additional expense as the Scotland programmes were challenging enough, but it was an opportunity that rarely if ever happens and couldn’t be passed up.

Hopefully I’m now once again entering a quiet period, but you just never know!
Diamond Matt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:32 pm 
Post subject:

My favourite purchase was when I was about 12 years old about 15 years ago.

I collected Guinness Book of Records and at a car boot sale, someone had a quantity of them, including one signed by both Norris and Ross McWhirter.

Most of the books were £2.50 each, but he was asking £8 for the signed one. I really wanted it and had to really twist my dad's arm to let me buy it. I bought it for £6.

This was in the early days of my dad having an eBay account. He started the bidding at something like £20 which I would have been really happy with - if I didn't sell it, I'd have kept it for my collection.

It sold for £310!

I must have looked inside the cover of about 1,000 Guinness Book of Records since and have never found another signed copy.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: