Football Programmes Centre

Sporting Memorys Sale No.27 - Tue 7th & Wed 8th August
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sporting Memorys Sale No.27 - Tue 7th & Wed 8th August
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportingMemorys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:51 am 
Post subject: Sporting Memorys Sale No.27 - Tue 7th & Wed 8th August

We are pleased to announce our next sale: Sale No.27 (will be a Two-day sale)
Tuesday 7th & Wednesday 8st August 2018
At Holy Souls Social Club, 1159 Warwick Road (Entrance between Church & Ibrahims Restaurant), Birmingham, B27 6BP

Day 1 – Tuesday 7th August 2018, Auction starts at 4.30pm

Pre-War Programmes, extensive collection of clubs including:
Aberdeen, Blackpool, Bohemians, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Celtic, Charlton Athletic, Crystal Palace, Everton, Gillingham, Hull City, Leeds United, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Plymouth Argyle, Preston North End, Sheffield United, Shelbourne, Tottenham Hotspur, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United & Wolverhampton Wanderers

Match Worn Football Shirts Including Arsenal, England, Southampton & West Bromwich Albion
Pop & Film Memorabilia including autographed LP’s, Posters & Programmes

Day 2 – Wednesday 8th August 2018, Auction starts at 12.30pm

Boxing, Cricket, Darts (Eric Bristow collection of shirts), Olympic Games, Rugby League & Union

Football:
Aston Villa, Jim Paul kit man, various items
Autographs, various items hand signed
Badges, including Steward Badges
Big Match programmes including FA Cup, FA Amateur Cup, FA Charity Shield & Irish Cup finals
Cigarette, Post & Trade Cards
Duncan Edwards football programmes
Football Programme collections including Bournemouth, Darlington & Luton Town
Paul Trevillion Art Work (Roy Of The Rovers)
Pennants, Press Photographs & Posters
Sheffield Wednesday, Rare Trade Cards
Surrey County Football Association Memorabilia
World Cup & International Programmes

Brochure: Not an existing customer & you require a Printed copy of the brochure? please confirm your full postal address by forwarding notification via post/email. Alternatively, receive Email notification, by forwarding an email stating that you wish to be added to our email mailing list.

Email: [email protected]
Post: 11 Rectory Gardens, Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, B36 9DG
Call: 0121 684 8282
SportingMemorys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:56 am 
Post subject:

The auction catalogue is now available on my website:

http://www.sportingmemorys.com/

Also the full catalogue with images of each lot, is available to view on the saleroom:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/sporting-memorys/catalogue-id-srspo10012
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:13 pm 
Post subject:

All those pre-war Amateur Cup Finals!

Well, I suppose I could always re-mortgage?
Shotsman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:06 pm 
Post subject: Sporting Memories

Of course, he said with tongue very firmly in cheek, you could sell me your Derby v Aldershot programme to help fund:D
CAFC1947

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

Twenty four hours since this 2 day auction finished and not one comment on The Forum

What happened to those wonderful old Cup Finals & Internationals.?

Did any member bid or attend and what were the results?

Lots of comment on VAR & New Season Prediction League but this is
The Football PROGRAMME Centre.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

There was a 1920s Palace home I'd have loved, but I'm trying to save a bit of money at the moment so gave it a miss.

I guess there isn't too much discussion beforehand because people don't want to draw attention to lots they may be interested in. And after an auction, what do you say?

There was loads of discussion about the Chelsea-Barca programme recently, as it was interesting from both a rarity and value POV. And none of us were bidding, so it made interesting viewing in a voyeuristic way!
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:27 pm 
Post subject: Sporting Memory sale no 27

What was interesting was the almost complete lack of interest in the Pre-War Celtic programmes.
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 pm 
Post subject: sporting memorys

Did anyone notice how little time the auctioneer allowed for bidding on each lot? It's no wonder there were a lot of passed lots. He's lost several hundred quid from me because I simply wasn't quick enough! Shocked
Rafehod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

I looked at this auction and gave it a miss as a lot of their estimates are way to heavy for todays market and could explain the reason for a lot of passed lots. When you are asking £80-£120 for job lots of 50s programmes in average condition which would probably cost you £50 on ebay you are not going to sell them.

For me this is an auction that needs to wake up a little to todays market for their more average lots.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

Not much to interest me so i dipped in online for a few minutes and was also surprised at how quickly the auctioneer was progressing. I was interested in one item but was about £100 too expensive (in my opinion) when fees are lumped in as well
Rocon17

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:44 am 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
Not much to interest me so i dipped in online for a few minutes and was also surprised at how quickly the auctioneer was progressing. I was interested in one item but was about £100 too expensive (in my opinion) when fees are lumped in as well

Agreed. Some excellent Arsenal pre-war big match but estimates/reserves too high. Many went unsold.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:44 am 
Post subject:

I sat in the auction room for 3 hours on Wednesday and was amazed at all the unsold lots, mainly programmes of course.

Till we arrived at a few press photos and they soared as always.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:06 pm 
Post subject:

Rafehod wrote:
I looked at this auction and gave it a miss as a lot of their estimates are way to heavy for todays market and could explain the reason for a lot of passed lots. When you are asking £80-£120 for job lots of 50s programmes in average condition which would probably cost you £50 on ebay you are not going to sell them.

For me this is an auction that needs to wake up a little to todays market for their more average lots.

I got their brochure and saw the price guides and didn't bother with the auction at all.
gatfb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 pm 
Post subject:

Same here.I looked at the price guides and knew how they have operated in the past and therefore didn't bother with the auction at all.Reality check needed at Sporting Memorys.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:51 pm 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:

I noticed that as well, I think they were getting through 200 lots an hour (so less than 20 seconds for each lot). On the Saleroom they went from Fair Warning to Passed within a couple of seconds
CNSOBU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 pm 
Post subject:

Also didn't bother for the same reasons outlined above.

The psychology to auctioneering is intersting - which mainly hangs on the estimates: generating buyer interest and 'getting the estimate past the vendor' (if there is one. )In addition to, and knowing how low the auctioneer will go below the estimate.

I think S.M. needs to re-visit these if they wish to sell more.

With a couple of the other sporting auction houses at least I feel I have a chance and could get some good value for money.

Alas, I usually end up with very little but enjoyed the thought of having a chance of winning.
Rafehod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 pm 
Post subject:

Auctioneering is all about managing expectations and if the lots are vendor driven then Sporting memories either cave in to easy or are very bad at this.

If it is the former to my knowledge most people who put things into auction that do not sell are generally pissed off about it, so it makes no sense.

I suspect that these are lots owned by the auction house themselves as probably not enough vendors, so they buy up all the cheap shite that is available and then offer it for sale in what they percieve to be attractive enough bundles to make a profit and on top of that a little extra bonus of the premiums they charge to the buyers.

Its good business when it works!! not so good when you are left with it at the end of the sale.

What is most disappointing is the lack of respect this auctioneer shows to online bidders, absolutely disgraceful in fact. They obviously have no clue what bidding online is like and that it is not as instant as they think it is.

Auctions like this rely very heavily on online bidders to push the prices up so get your bloody act together and show some respect as you will be out of business very soon if you treat your core buyers like this.

Run it properly and you never know you might actually sell your stuff!!
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 pm 
Post subject:

As a general thought on the psychology of auctions, good auctioneer is able to work the bidders so that interested parties like yourself (and most others including me) feel like they have a chance of buying an item at a respectable price and to get enough interest in the item that several bidders get involved. Once you are in the auction most people go just a little bit higher than their ideal due to the adrenaline. However if the starting price is higher than a lot of people's "top price" and the bidding is over very quickly then the auction ends up being focussed towards a smaller subset of the audience.

Anyway i am not criticising SM as Robert has been long enough in the business to know how to be successful and to be honest the range of prewar items in this auction was fantastic. Only wanted to add my points because surely its preferable to seller and buyer if more items were moved on rather than returned to vendor.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

Did all the pre-war Amateur Cup Finals sell?
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:27 pm 
Post subject:

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: