Football Programmes Centre

RIP the match day programme?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RIP the match day programme?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:25 pm 
Post subject:

I imagine that most clubs already had contracts with printers, etc. for the coming season, so probably wouldn't have been able to easily withdraw.

I'd expect to see most clubs that aren't going to issue matchday programmes, to do so from the 2019/20 season onwards.

Talking of printers, this will probably hit them hard.

There was an article in the Evening Standard a couple of months ago that said all London clubs are going to issue for the 2018/19 season.

Seeing as my club Charlton referred to programmes as an 'outdated practice' in a recent programme, I imagine they'll be looking to stop issuing as soon as they can.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:46 am 
Post subject:

goonerboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:11 am 
Post subject:

What a great article. Clubs that just see programmes as a burden are missing the point. They don't have to be 80 pages but a nice simple publication priced at £1 or £2 is enough. Of course part of the other issue is that in the past with first team squads of about 15 or 16 then team lineups were easy to predict. Now with squads of 30 or however many then who knows who will play or who will be on the subs bench. So overall the team page is generally nonsense or just a list of all the squad players.

Nevertheless an 8 page pocket size offering costing £1 would be perfect
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:17 am 
Post subject:

Spot on goonerboy!!!! Thumbs Up
BHA1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

WoodyCAFC wrote:
Seeing as my club Charlton referred to programmes as an 'outdated practice' in a recent programme, I imagine they'll be looking to stop issuing as soon as they can.

Hi WoodyCAFC. Do you know if Charlton will be doing a programme for the Brighton friendly this Tuesday?
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:52 pm 
Post subject:

BHA1 wrote:
WoodyCAFC wrote:

Hi WoodyCAFC. Do you know if Charlton will be doing a programme for the Brighton friendly this Tuesday?

Hi BHA1,

I don't know yet, but I would have thought so. Last year, they issued poster-style programmes for each of our home friendlies. One of them sold out, and I've still not been able to track it down.

Keep an eye on the official club website - www.cafc.co.uk - they usually have an article on the programme as part of the build-up to them match, even for friendlies.

Best of luck tomorrow.

Cheers.
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:42 pm 
Post subject:

BHA1 wrote:
WoodyCAFC wrote:

Hi BHA1,

Charlton are producing a programme for tonight's friendly against Brighton. It's another poster programme, priced at £1.50:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b5725a386e82/charltons-new-kits-to-star-in-special-poster-edition-of-valley-review-for-brighton-friendly

Cheers.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:13 am 
Post subject:

No programmes for Stevenage v Palace, so lots of people hanging around the club shop waiting for team sheets when we could have been inside the ground or in the clubhouse bar! Yes its only a pre-season friendly, but it was a taste of the future
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

Todays instalment in my Palace pre-season odessey was Reading v Palace.

I was pleased to see a glossy programme on sale after the 'teamsheet only' affairs at Bromley and Stevenage. And only £1. Fair enough.

It was in fact just a single large poster sheet, folded up to look like a programme.

The only thing to qualify it as a programme was the match details on the folded 'front cover'

On one side was a large Reading fixtures poster.

On the remaining other sides was news of their pre season games, plus details of the mascot for the game.

Apart from the mascot details, there was no team information, no mention of the visitors, no squad lists, no clue as to the officials, nothing.

Not even worth a quid for an away fan to be honest, I was taken for a mug - a teamsheet for a pound would have been better value.

Sad Sad
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:20 pm 
Post subject:

Just an observation as I've spent the last two weeks scanning and reading Derby H/A issues from the last ten years but am I right in thinking that, expensive though current programmes are that, on the whole, the cover price hasn't risen much, if at all, in that period?

If I was to defend the present-day match programme, it would be that many include some terrific historical articles - indeed, these are about the only pages I bother with now.

On that score, West Bromwich Albion collectors can consider themselves very fortunate.
DySporting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

I was told today that bury aren’t doing any programmes for the upcoming season
chorlton63

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:39 pm 
Post subject:

Strange that with bury as they have issued pre season?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:03 pm 
Post subject:

Was at the Union Berlin game yesterday in Bundesliga 2.

Programme was A5 sized, full colour, 80 pages (stapled, not perfect bound), packed with content of the readable variety and on all topics, reminded me slightly of the Cowdenbeath issue if anyone has seen that fantastic programme, no space filling pictures, very few commercial dept style "articles", plenty of historical and fan focused content and only 21 pages of adverts. A proper programme.

€2, and plenty seemed to be buying it.
STEEL_CITY_SMOGGY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:11 pm 
Post subject:

Barnet going free e-programme only starting from this season

https://twitter.com/BarnetFC/status/1026818771829358594

Hold onto your programmes and teamsheets they are about to rocket in value, people always want what is rare or no longer available

Interested in any boro teamsheets or tickets home/away any comp from 1995-present.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:47 pm 
Post subject:

If I was a Barnet fan I'd probably print off my own 'hard copy' of each e-programme.

For a season at least.

It would be a very sad day if that happened to my club.

Crying or Very sad
STEEL_CITY_SMOGGY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:22 pm 
Post subject:

Yeah I would print off the back and front page and fold over and put into my collection.

I dont know why they just cant start making the programmes smaller, even if only 20 pages max.

Interested in any boro teamsheets or tickets home/away any comp from 1995-present.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 pm 
Post subject:

I suppose one option if a club has a reasonably solid number of collectors on forums and social media is to see if it is feasible to find a printer who could professionally print up a small batch for each game (using the free pdf from the club)
Say on a seasonal subscription basis, it might be possible to still knock up say a batch of 50 per game at a break even (not for profit) price of 3 quid or so. Sell the vast majority to seasonal subscribers, and keep a few back for ebay to give away fan collectors access.

Pin badge collectors and trade card collectors have shown it is possible to service their own niche collecting markets (I have my own match badges made for just myself) because the clubs aren't fulfilling their collecting needs. By collectors for collectors.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
I suppose one option if a club has a reasonably solid number of collectors on forums and social media is to see if it is feasible to find a printer who could professionally print up a small batch for each game (using the free pdf from the club)

I see where you're coming from - but would that item not be better described as a "souvenir" as opposed to a "programme"?

Not sure I'd want an artificially induced item such as that!
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:57 pm 
Post subject:

A professional (small privately organised) print run from the official pdf would be very acceptable to many collectors if reasonably priced IMO

There have been England games abroad (an away in Andorra, or was it Spain in Madrid - about a decade ago?) where a glossy media guide was the closest thing to a programme, and so an enterprising programme dealer commissioned a reproduction of said media guide.

Nobody had to buy it, but those that did were happy with it. Nice item and filled a gap, even if not 'original and authentic'.

Equally the crowds of fans around a pirate programme seller at England games abroad where there was no programme available to ordinary (non-VIP) fans. It may be crap quality, but its something to take home on the plane and show your kids.

Luckily I don't support Barnet so don't have the difficult decision of what to do next!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:22 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
Nice item and filled a gap, even if not 'original and authentic'.

And there's the dichotomy.

It's at that point that the collector has to stop and think.....and I certainly am not criticising anyone who chooses the opposite path to me.

As you rightly point out, if buyer and seller are happy, then everyone's happy.

It does add another dimension to the hobby, though.
A new abbreviation on dealers' catalougues?
"PDFrepro" perhaps?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: