Football Programmes Centre

Dying hobby?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dying hobby?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:08 am 
Post subject: Dying hobby?

derby1884 wrote:
It's the sheer bulk of the damned things that puts people off collecting. No matter how interested a nipper is in his club, it's a struggle to plough through 96 pages no matter how glossy the product is. I struggle and I've been at this lark for almost 50 years.

When I was 12/13, I used to pour over every page of those early 70s issues because every page mattered and the programmes were, even on a pocket money budget, affordable.

In an ideal world, I'd rather clubs issued a 16 page programme priced at no more than £1. If that wasn't an option and it came to a choice between either a 96 page effort costing anything up to a fiver or "no programme", then I'm at the point now where I'd opt for the latter.

On a more general note, though, we live in an ever increasing "instant" society. What a match programme once was, isn't now. Any more than newspapers are. Buy a paper, the news is already old compared to the internet sites. Buy a programme etc etc.....

Absolutely right Derby.
The sheer size makes the damn things unattractive and difficult to store as part of a collection.

My Spurs collection is pretty complete both home and away back to the early 1950's, and decent back to the 1920's but for the last few seasons I have only picked up a few of them.

I'm at the point now where it may be time to draw a line on current issues (apart from the first season at the new Lane) and concentrate on chipping away at the older ones as that is what still gives me a buzz.
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:34 am 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
Smaller is the way to go. I suspect at Premier League clubs, the American and Far East 'football tourists' are a big part of regular matchday sales?

These fans have plenty of cash in their pocket and love a souvenir or two.

Just hope it never goes the way some international matches are catered for, ie VIPs get programmes only, and the die hard collectors have to struggle to obtain them by any means possible

That would be the moment that, not only would I stop collecting, but the exact time that my whole collection would go.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:56 am 
Post subject:

Hibs certainly went down the route of A5 16 page £1 programmes about 7 or 8 seasons ago but they only lasted 2, possibly 3 seasons before reverting back to standard issue. Why I don’t know, but I assume if they were popular that wouldn’t have happened. I think it was Carlisle who went down the same route but abandoned it after a season or two. Downsizing isn’t a guarantee of increased sales it seems.

As for VIP/Press only programmes at International games, tell me about it Sad
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: