Football Programmes Centre

Photo teaser
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Photo teaser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:40 pm 
Post subject: Photo teaser

We have a hiatus between the World Cup and the new season so I thought I'd while away about 30 seconds of your lives with this photo I came across recently. Quite a famous player in his time, largely forgotten now.

So, 2 questions:-

1) who is he?
2) what was he the first to do?

If you know 1, you'll soon find out 2 - or you may know it already. But if you don't know who it is, it's quite an interesting first that he achieved.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:34 pm 

I will have a pot at this;

Joe Marston, the centre half for Preston North End in the 1950s.

Not sure of the next one but, as he was Australian, was he the first(Australian) to play in the football league? or maybe Division 1.

Nothing like answering two questions with three answers is there. Wink
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:17 pm 

Topbid has set me up for the glory here.

As soon as he named Joe Marston I remembered that he was the first Australian to play in the FA Cup Final which I assume was Preston v WBA in 1954?
Possibly the first foreigner to do so?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:33 pm 
Post subject:

Right, good work Topbids and Fiver, between you, you got this right.

It's Joe Marston of Preston in 1954. He was the first Aussie to play in the FA Cup Final (in 1954 v WBA). He's renowned Down Under and a medal in his name is given to the MOM in their Cup Final.

However, a bit of research has shown he was NOT the first Aussie to play in the Football League. I have found Ken Grieves, whom I knew to be a Lancashire cricketer in the 50's & 60's, who played as a keeper for Bury from 1947 and later for Bolton & Stockport. So unless anyone knows differently, I think Grieves might have been the first Aussie in the Football League.

As regards the first foreigner in the FA Cup Final, I can immediately think of the Chilean Robledo brothers for Newcastle - George in 1951 and he and his brother Ted also in 1952. There may be others too. Can anyone help on that?

Cheers guys. Easy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:55 pm 

Even with three answers to two questions I got it wrong (got the name correct though)

Smile

Looking back over the years there has to be somebody who came from abroad and played in a FA cup final----probably pre-1920s? This is not a set-up, I truly do not know.

Yes, I recall Ken Grieves and he was one of those guys who played sport all the year round by engaging in 1st class cricket during the summer and football during the winter. I understand, that due to some dispute, after being granted a testimonial he was not granted permission to play the game at Burnden Park and the match ,involving the Bolton 1st team, was played at Altrincham in 1956. Maybe somebody can fill in where my scant knowledge does little justice to the facts.
New Forest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 am 
Post subject:

Joe Marston was not the first Australian to play at Wembley in a cup final. That honour belongs to is Ken Camis, who played for Walthamstow Avenue in the 1952 FA Amateur Cup Final.
amazorblade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:30 pm 
Post subject:

Herbert Bainbridge played in the 1883 FA Cup final for Old Etonians v Blackburn - and according to wikipedia he was born in INDIA.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:31 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you Amazorblade, I thought there must be someone before the Robledos.

Does anyone know of any Aussies in League football before Ken Grieves (1947)?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: