Football Programmes Centre

Am I in the wrong?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Am I in the wrong?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:52 pm 
Post subject: Am I in the wrong?

I'm currently into day three of a playground type squabble with a buyer on Ebay regarding feedback.

He purchased an item off of me which I sent out the same day.
I acknowledged and thanked him for his purchase via Ebay message and advised of dispatch.

In the package I placed my comp slip as I always do, which says that once feedback has been left, I will then do the same as I know at that point that the item has arrived and the buyer is happy.
I NEVER fail to leave feedback once I know all is ok.

He contacted me approx a week later complaining that I had not left feedback and that in his opinion, I should have done so as soon as he had paid for the item.

He has not left feedback yet, acknowledged receipt or said all is ok.
I mentioned my comp slip and reasons for waiting until I know all is ok, but now he is accusing me of holding him to ransom for positive feedback.

I have again asked him to simply tell me if he is happy with his purchase, but he seems incapable of answering a straight question and feels he is being hard done by as I have not left feedback first.

So, my question to you is...am I right to operate the way that I do or does he have a valid point that I am missing? Confused
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 pm 
Post subject:

Why do people get so wound up by feedback? it can sometimes take me weeks to provide it, and if somebody doesn't leave me any then fine, I don't lose any sleep over it (and I don't track it to see who does or doesn't anyway so I wouldn't really know).
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:26 pm 
Post subject:

I hardly ever bother to leave feedback, about the only time I do is if a seller specifically emails to ask me to do so. Really can't be bothered with it to be honest.
Fishy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:48 pm 
Post subject:

I always leave feedback asap after I have received an item, mainly to let the seller know that it has arrived.

I don't think that you are wrong at all Pete - you've explained your situation which shouldn't cause any issues with a purchaser unless he is up to something. Personally, if it was me in you position, whilst it is not nice, I would leave it alone and forget about the stress. Some people just seem to want a fight over nothing I'm afraid.
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:31 pm 

Fishy wrote:
I always leave feedback asap after I have received an item, mainly to let the seller know that it has arrived.

I don't think that you are wrong at all Pete - you've explained your situation which shouldn't cause any issues with a purchaser unless he is up to something. Personally, if it was me in you position, whilst it is not nice, I would leave it alone and forget about the stress. Some people just seem to want a fight over nothing I'm afraid.

Personally, I don't care about the feedback Ian, but then I've got over 4500 next to my name.
This guy has got under my skin though as he is absolutely obsessed about it. Apparently he contacted 8 sellers at the same time with his demands for feedback. Sounds desperate to me, but I can't work out why it is such a big deal as he has 800+ feedback so not a newbie building a history, when it can be relevant.
Fishy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm 
Post subject:

None so strange as folk! Shocked
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:53 pm 
Post subject:

Wasn't there a user on here a few years back who went off on one about people not leaving him feedback and that if he hadn't received feedback within 3 days he left negative feedback?

I think a few put him on their block list on ebay, me included.
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:09 pm 
Post subject:

to be fair, if he's paid you then you should leave feedback as he's done his bit. I buy and sell and as others have said, i tend to leave feedback as soon as ive been paid and expect the same. I then leave feedback once an item arrives and ive checked it over.

I understand some sellers only leave feedback after their buyer leaves FB but to me you're going to get the odd one (as in this case) who kicks off.

storm in a tea cup, move on and block the idiot!!
grantham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:24 pm 
Post subject:

I agree with CodeXIII

He has done all that is required of him to receive feedback, I can see his point about the ransom, other than paying promptly, they can do no more
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:36 pm 
Post subject:

I must admit that I leave positive feedback as soon as a payment is received. Whether the purchaser then leaves feedback upon receiving the goods, is up to them but I wouldn't be chasing or getting involved in an argument.
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:49 pm 
Post subject:

No longer on eBay but when I was on there selling I would leave feedback for a buyer as soon as payment was received, it was my way of saying thank you. I would then send a private message letting them know when their item had been dispatched. Always annoyed me a little when I never heard anything whatsoever back whether by message or feedback but that says more about me than them! That said, it only takes seconds so what is wrong with people, it's just good manners.
When buying anything I would not leave feedback for a seller who had not left me feedback once payment had been made.
Sorry for not agreeing with you Paul as I found you a pleasure to deal with when you helped me complete my FLR's but hope you appreciate my honesty!! Given the service you provide I can see no valid reason for not leaving feedback once you have received payment.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:19 pm 

Ruud Van Driver wrote:

Sorry for not agreeing with you Paul as I found you a pleasure to deal with when you helped me complete my FLR's but hope you appreciate my honesty!! Given the service you provide I can see no valid reason for not leaving feedback once you have received payment.

I have no issue with anybody disagreeing with me RVD, especially somebody like you who I have dealt with in the past which was a pleasure for me too.

Thanks to all that have given opinions also.

My final word on this subject.
I left him positive feedback as I had really got fed up with what I saw as a non issue.
His response - I didn't read your message and won't deal with you in future.

Thank the Lord for that!!!
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:24 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you Paul. All you need to do now is name and shame!!
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 pm 
Post subject:

Am a bit like Tynie, I do them as and when. My view is if I've paid somebody promptly, and I always do, they should leave positive feedback for me - I've completed my side of the bargain. If I ever get someone asking for positive feedback from me after I've paid, before they leave it for me, they are always politely refused for the above reason.

The other day I got a neutral feedback from someone who I bought a small number of Welsh non league programmes from at a BIN price of £2.99 each. As they were from the 1958-9 season I reckoned they were worth more than that and bought them. I put them up for auction and he took offence when I made a reasonable profit, and this was a guy who's been splashing out on Welsh League programmes for a wee while on ebay.

Shrewd Ebay buyer then Immediate Reseller to make quick buck.
COLWYN BAY vs PRESTATYN 1958-9 Welsh League £7.22 (#253649721525)

I really don't have any issue with doing anything like that, but this particular ebayer thought it a bit naughty and neutralised me. Have gone through the official channels to get it removed and am confident it will be. What is it with some folks?
martino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm 
Post subject:

whosbrianwilson wrote:
I must admit that I leave positive feedback as soon as a payment is received. Whether the purchaser then leaves feedback upon receiving the goods, is up to them but I wouldn't be chasing or getting involved in an argument.

Ditto.

My only exception is if the item has gone abroad. I only get the rare claim for non-receipt and invariably it comes from a thieving git overseas.

So if the item is going overseas I only leave feedback after they leave positive feedback which confirms that the item has been safely received.

I must admit that since I started doing this I have not had any claims for non-receipt. Touch wood!
Rocky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Why do people get so wound up by feedback? it can sometimes take me weeks to provide it, and if somebody doesn't leave me any then fine, I don't lose any sleep over it (and I don't track it to see who does or doesn't anyway so I wouldn't really know).

Spot on Tynie. It’s not compulsory to leave feedback on eBay so technically there should be no issues. Feedback is voluntary and in my eyes it’s futile for sellers to leave it for buyers as all it does is confirm that the buyer has paid.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Rafehod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 pm 
Post subject:

Although I think feedback is optional and should be treated as such, I personally always do it once payment is received then its done and dusted. Couldn't care less if the buyer leaves it for me and I would say only about 60% do anyway.

All I am concerned about is that I have done a good job in listing it accurately with good pics etc, shipping it in good time and the rest should follow. I have had very few problems over the years although you will always get one or two bumholes who are just on the make, but I treat them as an occupational hazard.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 pm 
Post subject:

Well my view is a simple one, 99.99% off the positive feedback I have acquired over the yeas has been as a buyer.

I think it is important to leave it because above everything else it shows manners, that is not being old fashioned that is saying thank you for sending it on time and it is just as you have described it, so what is wrong with that then?. If you walk in a store and buy something you would hand your money over or plastic and not utter one single word to the person to whom is handling the sale for you, so leaving feedback be it seller or buyer is a simple polite gesture and also shows potential customers that you are a reliable seller or buyer and that is why Ebay set that up in the first place to give confidence, would you buy from a seller with more negative comments than positive or be confident a buyer with same negative comments is going to pay you on time or not try and scam you saying it never showed up-would you avoid those tossers? but if you do not leave your vote of confidence how are you going to know?.

Also, I tend to get feedback from sellers as soon as I have paid and I have a payment record second to no one, on the very odd occasion that a seller has not left me any positive feedback as I have left for them, I send them a note asking if they will do me the courtesy of leaving it for me as I have done so for them and that approach has so far never failed.

I do not get a hissy fit if it is not left immediately but say after a month and nothing has happened I send that note through.

Long before Andy Lane became recognised as not just an arrogant prick but then became a dishonest one, I asked "Hiya"[who professionally ever answers anyone like that] why is it that you simply ignore everyone and never leave ANY feedback, this must be going back well over 10 years or so and one day he wrote back and said" ur right-1 am now sending 100's of feed backs to everyone" I recall thinking what a complete and utter arsewipe and if he still reads the messages , if you remember this then you know I am telling you the truth, something that you find it a difficult simple act to perform in the main. He has just worked it out to be friendly and polite to his customers, they may come back again!

That is all I wanted to add to the post-Manners maketh the man, always have and always will Wave

Oh and while we are at it a pet hate of mine is to get whatever you ordered put into an envelope without a single note written even if on on 2nd hand lavvie paper saying "thanks" and I have experienced that sending just a few pounds as well as a few £1000's of pounds-to me it is an ignorance and if others disagree then that is up to them as it will not change my view. Most cannot be arsed to print off the receipt/invoice.

Recently I bought some non football items from a guy selling some stationary items, he had 250,000 pos feedbacks and even though the 4 items only amounted to £20 the lot there was an invoice provided with hand written "Thanks V Much-please come back again" and I have and spent twice as much and could have obtained a couple of the items a bit cheaper of another seller, but I got a good service, so why not.

Everything to day is fast fast quick quick online this and online that and I subscribe to online banking and shopping so I am keeping pace but some bedroom bandit shoving a tenner item in an envelope who has printed off the invoice and cut out your name and address[dummy] deserves little respect from me.

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:53 am 

What a simple question and yet what a set of enlightening answers---all a complete set up by Ebay themselves, by their own rules.
Feedback is the way of providing confidence through transactions being verified by the members of the Ebay system it states.
However, the buying side is very simple-----pay, and within a reasonable time, and your job is done. Your payment maybe verified (if needed) eg Paypal--with full details including dates, time etc. Other payments can be verified eg cheque--but this takes much longer.

Then, look at the selling side; once you let go of YOUR item by posting (Royal Mail for eg) you have handed it over to an outside agency and you are totally in their hands. In the early part of this year I posted a number of items out by RM, it was the time of the bad weather, one item failed to arrive on time, not only that there was a considerable time delay (your complaint is important to us and we are doing our upmost to resolve your query etc), but the buyer(in this instance was very patient) and waited until the system caught up with the backlog and then let me know straight away that it had arrived. A different, impatient buyer, would have ensured I was chained to the village stocks, and so thankyou to that guy for his integrity.

Then it is the next stage: does the item match the description-----we are normally selling second hand goods, it cannot be mint (if it is--reprint?), do we describe every page, every minor detail, from front to back, or do we give an overall appraisal. I suspect the latter every time! So, we are open to the unscrupulous buyer who, may change his mind, may consider his bid was too high etc and the seller will have to give a full refund.
But, if a refund has to be given for a description that is defective then please tell me (Ebay) what are the images for?--the very images Ebay insist are mandatory? It is logical that both words and images form the description and, if not specifically mentioned, but appear on the images,then the condition is satisfied.

After all that , the buyer is then marked for condition, communication(what if none required is that therefore Zero score) and then the delivery date eg did it arrive on time? So many hoops to jump through just to establish your basic honesty.
Then there is the case of the impatient buyer, I have paid so where is YOUR feedback----ignoring the basic trading principle that BOTH parties are locked into the contract law and he has failed(so far) to complete his obligations. Its simple, one good turn deserves another, you scratch my back and I will scratch yours etc etc all basic principles that create good trading.

I agree with one thing, the number of times the item(s) arrive with no accompanying note, no thankyou,no confirmation, is a very bad habit that is all too common. Even a texted type message would suffice---u no wat I meen!

So, to the question 'Am I in the wrong? my answer is a definite no. You tried to create a sensible, good trading practice and the other trading partner failed to see the full picture.
Whoever said you cannot please everyone all the time must have been the 1st Ebayer.
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 am 

It seem I created quite a debate over what I saw as a small issue.
I appreciate all the points made guys.

Topbid - Perfectly summed up mate.

RVD - I won't name and shame the buyer as it was not football related and in fairness to him, his account history is good. It's just his desperation for feedback that has caused any "hassle."

Leslie - I couldn't agree more about no notes being sent with an item purchased. Personally, I send a comp slip (which has return address details in case it gets lost) with a quick handwritten message. It's simple manners.

As I said previously, I don't care about my feedback score, but at 4500 plus, it's not an issue for me in the way it would be for somebody with a low score or just starting.

I have one particular customer who buys on average, half a dozen magazines every week from me from Ebay. She has never left me feedback although I do every time. Furthermore, her communication is zero and she has not once said thanks or acknowledged receipt of anything, despite me offering her the option to deal directly with me at a discount. In my eyes, she is an important customer to me as she is a repeat buyer, but has no communication skills. I'm not concerned at all.

My other bug bear is if I am asked a question by a potential buyer which I answer immediately only to never hear from them again. Thanks is a small word to type even if the answer has meant that they don't want the item.....especially if I have hunted through a magazine for any mention of somebody as requested by them etc.

Last edited by Five and In on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: