Football Programmes Centre

Jack Charlton, Malcolm Allison, Don Revie press photo
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jack Charlton, Malcolm Allison, Don Revie press photo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:55 pm 
Post subject: Jack Charlton, Malcolm Allison, Don Revie press photo

Just bought this photo and looking for help with a date and possible location.

Looks to me like a day out on a golf course or race course, but I've no idea where except it is stamped Birmingham Evening Mail but there's no visible date. They all look fairly windswept.

Date-wise, Big Mal looks portly and he was pretty fit-looking during his first stint at Palace (1973-76) - plus his hair is longer than it was early 70's so I would suggest it's post 1976.

What do you guys reckon about the Leeds pair? Don Revie was England manager from 1974 to summer 1977 when he took the Arab shilling. Big Jack was Middlesbrough manager from 1973 also to summer 77 at which point he applied for Revie's England job but didn't get a reply so he took over at Sheffield Weds in Oct 77.

I'd be grateful for any ideas please.

Thank you in anticipation once again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
kenners46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:26 pm 
Post subject:

If Allison is wearing a pringle jumper i would go later than 1977 and go for early 1980s as that for me is when they took off (not literally)
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:47 pm 
Post subject:

Just had a call from Midlands expert Robert Adcock - he reckons it's the 1985 Ryder Cup at the Belfry.

That would be a year before Revie was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease so if it's the Belfry it wouldn't be later than 85.

Guess they all look about right for 1985?

As rgds Pringle jumpers, Big Mal was at the forefront of fashion in the 70's so he'd have been the first to wear one, not when they "took off"!

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
kenners46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:02 pm 
Post subject:

Bet he didnt have a pringle in 1977 though, think my 1st one was 1982ish
lol
Rocky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting photo with all three having a connection with Boro. Revie was born there whilst Charlton and Allison both managed the club. Here’s a photo of Allison at Boro circa 1983.

I think he looks younger on Pete’s photo so I’d probably rule out 1985 at the Belfry and probably date it late 70’s? Interestingly, if it is the Belfry, the first official tournament on the Brabazon course was the Hennessy Cup in September 1978.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:21 am 
Post subject:

Now looking at Rocky's pic of Big Mal I'd agree he looks younger in the Pringle jumper. So maybe the Belfry 1978 would fit, although I think Mr Revie was still in the UAE at that stage but presumably not 24/7. He doesn't look very sun-tanned.

Indeed it could be any other golf course I suppose.

Cheers guys. More thoughts appreciated!
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:14 am 
Post subject:

Pringles in the 80's generally had Pringle underneath the lion unless it was very, very early 80's. I'd doubt that this was 85.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: