Football Programmes Centre

Estudiantes vs Man Utd - Intercontinental Cup 1968 1st leg
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Estudiantes vs Man Utd - Intercontinental Cup 1968 1st leg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lagertop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 am 
Post subject: Estudiantes vs Man Utd - Intercontinental Cup 1968 1st leg

I stumbled across this program while going through a collection of many interesting items left to me by an uncle who passed away many years ago. The collection had several interesting war time and sporting items so I decided to do some searching as to their rarity and it turns out this program appears to be very rare or a more recent reprint.

Is there any way to assess if it's an original or a reprint?
If more photo's or descriptions are required then I'll happily upload and post.

holtie96

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:43 am 
Post subject: Programe

Hi
You will probably have received a number of pms about this and this is a rare Programe and valuable too. Leslie is the man to check with

Thanks for sharing
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:48 pm 
Post subject: Re: Programe

holtie96 wrote:
Hi
You will probably have received a number of pms about this and this is a rare Programe and valuable too. Leslie is the man to check with

Thanks for sharing

As the "programme" was never sold in 1968 but given only to the dignitaries and management of both clubs as an original it s extremely hard to locate.

However, hundreds of copies were produced from the original maybe 10-15 years ago by a former member of this forum and purposely there was no "re print" put into the item, so confusion has reigned down many times with folks thinking they have found something special but more often worth 50p.

There is a way to tell the original from the copy but that requires to have them to both to hand for laser copying had not been invented in 1968 and the inks used and the paper not to mention the printing processes back then marks and rusty staples do not give a full picture either- I know of one unscrupulous collector who buried 10 reprints in the garden in a plastic bad] to rust staples and make them look/smell musty old!.

Anyway getting back to the point in question-I would need to see it to give some honest opinion but knowing what other items it came with could bear some clues.

Recently i was asked by an advanced United collector on this forum to confirm whether another rare item was afake or the original after he had purchased it and fortunately for him it was determined a genuine copy.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Lagertop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:20 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you both for the advice, I've given it a bit more thought and it could be from one of 2 sources as I found more non-football related items in the loft when I started digging.

As mentioned initially it could be from my Great Uncle who died in the early 2000's in his late 80's, the items he left me are mainly World War II books, maps, newspapers, diaries etc as well as some 1960's road atlases. The other potential source is from my Dad who died in the late 1990's, he left a load of books, stamps, maps, automotive badges etc which I took with me when I moved into a new house in 2000.

With regards to age it certainly looks and feels as it came from the 1960's as opposed to the 2000's (I found the forum thread stating the reprints were done around 2002 and not in the 1960's as I initially thought), the print quality is not great and the paper is rough and aged so if it's a modern re-print they've done a hell of a job aging it.

I'm North East based so I'll likely look at getting somewhere local to have a look at it, alternately I might try and get my hands on the reprint to compare.

Cheers
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:28 pm 
Post subject:

Lagertop wrote:
Thank you both for the advice, I've given it a bit more thought and it could be from one of 2 sources as I found more non-football related items in the loft when I started digging.

As mentioned initially it could be from my Great Uncle who died in the early 2000's in his late 80's, the items he left me are mainly World War II books, maps, newspapers, diaries etc as well as some 1960's road atlases. The other potential source is from my Dad who died in the late 1990's, he left a load of books, stamps, maps, automotive badges etc which I took with me when I moved into a new house in 2000.

With regards to age it certainly looks and feels as it came from the 1960's as opposed to the 2000's (I found the forum thread stating the reprints were done around 2002 and not in the 1960's as I initially thought), the print quality is not great and the paper is rough and aged so if it's a modern re-print they've done a hell of a job aging it.

I'm North East based so I'll likely look at getting somewhere local to have a look at it, alternately I might try and get my hands on the reprint to compare.

Cheers

the whole point was to make it look like it came from the 1960's, it was re-printed in the late 1990's from memory. The paper has been chosen to look old and the original was letter press and the re-print laser copied, to someone who is unaware of these 2 process they make look same.
Buy a reprint that is the easiest thing to do because there are only a handful of originals in existence and then you can make some comparisons. Wave
Never one to lose an opportunity to direct folks to my website, but there are a few original items from the Estudiantes v Manchester United 2 matches https://flic.kr/s/aHsjeAGCCJ

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: