Football Programmes Centre

Alan Gilzean RIP
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Alan Gilzean RIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:26 pm 
Post subject: Alan Gilzean RIP

I'm saddened by reports of the death of this wonderful player, and also surprised nobody on here has beaten me to it. A brain tumour, at the age of 79. Rest in peace, Alan.

There's something I'll always remember him for. Late 60's me and my schoolmates always kicked tennis balls around at lunchtimes. We all started to copy him with his amazing flicks, dummies and back-headers. No lunch-time was complete without one of our number attempting an outrageous flick with the outside of our shoe and stubbing our toes, scuffing our new school shoes, or a dummy through our legs which completely out-witted the lad right behind us. For a while anyway, they soon became savvy to it and blocked it but then of course we wouldn't dummy it again. But we all did a "Gilzean" every day, no fail.

This was all down to watching Gilly and Greaves on The Big Match or MOTD the weekend before. We weren't Spurs fans but we loved him and it wasn't too long before one or two hairlines followed him too.

Another star of the 60's has gone. But he won't be forgotten.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
martino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:38 pm 
Post subject:

Pete - sad news.

As you so rightly say "Another star of the 60's has gone. But he won't be forgotten."

Like you I watched him and many other talented players of his generation mainly on The Big Match. Too many have passed away in recent years.

RIP
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:54 pm 

I'm gutted at the sad news.

One of my first heroes at the Lane who I saw play many times and probably the best header of a football that I have ever seen.

Also fortunate enough to meet him on several occasions and he was a true gent, initially to a kid desperate for an autograph and latterly to a bloke who wanted to talk his ears off.

A Spurs Legend. A Dundee Legend. A Football Legend.

RIP Gilly and thank you.
Turin21041999

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:22 pm 
Post subject: Alan Gilzean

Tribute from a Manchester United supporter:

Alan Gilzean was a fantastic player who I remember well as a kid growing up.

Our visits to White Hart Lane have always been fantastic experiences both on and off the pitch! Legendary in fact! Respect Tottenham! The Shelf, Paxton Road, Park Lane! What great childhood memories at a proper football stadium.

Alan Gilzean was a proper football legend in the Tottenham days of Jimmy Greaves, Martin Chivers, Mike England etc.

Fantastic childhood days travelling to Tottenham

RIP Alan Gilzean
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 am 
Post subject:

There's an excellent article here (among the adverts!)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/.....-the-game/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Shotsman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:44 pm 

Less well known is that Alan Gilzean was stationed at Aldershot during his National Service and regularly played for both the 'A' team and the reserves. In the 1958/59 season he scored 22 times for the 'A' team and twice for the reserves. Others may know but I wonder if he was the last international footballer to be part of National Service. Sadly I never saw him play for Aldershot.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:22 pm 
Post subject:

One of Scotland's greatest exports, yet often overlooked.

He played a massive part in Dundee winning the title and getting them to a European Cup Semi-Final, an amazing achievement.

22 Scotland caps and 12 goals, a fantastic strike rate worthy of many more caps.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Gone, but not forgotten All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: