Football Programmes Centre

Collect soccer
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Collect soccer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxes1

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:06 am 
Post subject:

This is probably the same seller that sells at high prices on Amazon as well.
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:06 am 
Post subject:

Sir Moses Hill wrote:
Wullie wrote:
What you two bob fish and chip merchants don't understand is this dealer provides a certificate of authenticity with every item. No other dealer offers this service . I would gladly pay 100 times what a programme is worth just for that certificate.
When the city boys have their friends round for a glass or two, they don't say here is a programme I picked up from Bob and Elvis for £2.99 post free. How embarrassing would that be ? The say here is a programme I picked up from a discerning dealer that cost me £250. And here is the certificate of authenticity to prove that it's real ....

You really believe that 1) there's a "city boy" market for 96-97 League Cup game programmes; and/or 2) "city boys" will happily overpay for such dross?

Nah, he's selling to regular, gullible, vulnerable folks who most likely can't afford to be preyed upon like this.

I disagree . I'm with Bazza on this one. I don't think they are little old ladies with some lottery scam. Gullible or stupid yes. But Vulnerable folks who can't afford it no. I mean he has some very nice Sunderland pre war homes. And as someone has said, if you win the lottery then what the hell ? I'd buy them myself , only because I would have money to burn. This is the market the guy aims at , well at least with his rare stuff. The modern stuff, well God knows who would buy that ? Maybe he is just filling out his web page and hopes for the best.

http://www.collectsoccer.com/c.....sunderland
RoddyN

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:29 am 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
Sir Moses Hill wrote:
Wullie wrote:
What you two bob fish and chip merchants don't understand is this dealer provides a certificate of authenticity with every item. No other dealer offers this service . I would gladly pay 100 times what a programme is worth just for that certificate.
When the city boys have their friends round for a glass or two, they don't say here is a programme I picked up from Bob and Elvis for £2.99 post free. How embarrassing would that be ? The say here is a programme I picked up from a discerning dealer that cost me £250. And here is the certificate of authenticity to prove that it's real ....

You really believe that 1) there's a "city boy" market for 96-97 League Cup game programmes; and/or 2) "city boys" will happily overpay for such dross?

Nah, he's selling to regular, gullible, vulnerable folks who most likely can't afford to be preyed upon like this.

I disagree . I'm with Bazza on this one. I don't think they are little old ladies with some lottery scam. Gullible or stupid yes. But Vulnerable folks who can't afford it no. I mean he has some very nice Sunderland pre war homes. And as someone has said, if you win the lottery then what the hell ? I'd buy them myself , only because I would have money to burn. This is the market the guy aims at , well at least with his rare stuff. The modern stuff, well God knows who would buy that ? Maybe he is just filling out his web page and hopes for the best.

http://www.collectsoccer.com/c.....sunderland

His quality items have been on there for 10 years so clearly they haven't sold. I suspect he has sold very little.
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:59 am 
Post subject:

But the point is , he only has to sell very little. If he sells one Sunderland pre war for £2,000 he can then purchase about ten others for the same price. Then he lists them for £2,000 each and hopes to sell one in the next few years. At those prices he only needs to sell 5% of his stock to be quid's in. It's no different from the silly BINS on eBay that have been there for years.
treble99

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:14 pm 
Post subject:

and if your bedroom bandits that used to be so active on this forum buy a huge box at a car boot for a tenner and sell 5 for £2 each they can also go and buy another huge box
smithysprogrammes

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:20 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
But the point is , he only has to sell very little. If he sells one Sunderland pre war for £2,000 he can then purchase about ten others for the same price. Then he lists them for £2,000 each and hopes to sell one in the next few years. At those prices he only needs to sell 5% of his stock to be quid's in. It's no different from the silly BINS on eBay that have been there for years.

I must admit that at first I was a bit resentful of this fella. Then looking at the bigger picture, as wullie says here, he only needs to sell the odd item here and there, where sellers like us have to shift up to 100 items a day to make money. There must be some mug punters out there paying these prices. I would also say this fella has another source of income, no way can he make a good living charging these prices.... can he??......
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:34 pm 
Post subject:

My sister is in the Antique game and will pay £1,000 for an item to sell on for £1200. She is in a postion where she dosent need the money and will sit on an item until it sells.
So perhaps he is at level of trading. Im glad Smithy is flogging 100 items a day you seem to be at the other end of the market.
Im lucky to flog 20 items a day BUT IM NOT SELLING THINGS CHEAP just to get rid of them Cool Cool Cool Cool
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:20 pm 
Post subject:

I think he is probably not a dealer at all . He is a collector , who likes to display what he has. He lists them for sale , knowing few will ever sell, and if they do then at least he has money to plough back into his collection. Just a thought. Every item has a price.
Sir Moses Hill

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
I think he is probably not a dealer at all . He is a collector , who likes to display what he has. He lists them for sale , knowing few will ever sell, and if they do then at least he has money to plough back into his collection. Just a thought. Every item has a price.

Far too broad a selection to be one man's collection, surely?

He's a chancer. It's clearly not his only line of business and so, as others have said, he lists at extortionate prices and if anyone bites then it's a bonus.
smithysprogrammes

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:33 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:

BOOOOM, Idea Sherlock
Eck

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:04 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:

I have a pocket fold, creasing, score on the front and team changes to prove mine is real.
Smile
martino

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:36 pm 
Post subject:

Unless I am missing it, there is no mention of who is behind this website, other than a telephone number and contact E Mail.

Surely anyone with a website should include details about the website owners, address etc.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:31 pm 
Post subject:

Just digging up this old thread as I came across this website again today and he’s still upto his old tricks, programmes you can’t give away are listed for £50 or more, a 50p postcard for £8 etc etc.

Do practices like this do as much damage to the hobby as people like Andy Lane?
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:45 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Just digging up this old thread as I came across this website again today and he’s still upto his old tricks, programmes you can’t give away are listed for £50 or more, a 50p postcard for £8 etc etc.

Do practices like this do as much damage to the hobby as people like Andy Lane?

I'm not saying this is what is happening but such a thing is perfect for money laundering, I can't see anyone buying these, not sure of what is going on but you can bet there is something dodgy involved.
CanaryHonestMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

Collect Soccer is run by Stephen Cleeve, owner of King's Lynn Town.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/k.....-1-4550307
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 pm 
Post subject:

CanaryHonestMan wrote:
Collect Soccer is run by Stephen Cleeve, owner of King's Lynn Town.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/k.....-1-4550307

He doesn't look dodgy at all, no not at all Laughing
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:47 pm 
Post subject:

I think the speedway owner may have been persuaded to sell because of his fondness for his kneecaps.
RoddyN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:20 am 
Post subject:

Looking through The King's Lynn forums it appears that Collect Soccer is or was the shirt sponsor of the Club. They were, until last season, unable to get a sponsor after 2 years of trying so the owner has just used Collectsoccer to save face. I just saw a U tube of the owner telling the locals that he had 3 offers on the table for sponsorship with many more in the offing. This was about 18 months ago and was obviously untrue. Clearly the Collect Soccer sponsorship is an internal book entry without any payment in order to keep the fans happy. I wonder how the Club is being funded because when I had football programme dealings with him in the past, he never had any money.
oldbolt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:35 pm 
Post subject:

Slicked back hair, sharp suit, big smile it looks like he fancies himself as a bedroom bandit Very Happy

As long as he describes programmes accurately and despathes them in good time, he can ask how much he wants.Good luck to him trying to sell items for much more than they are worth
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: